Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM
BAR

Default Problem printing templates in RS 8

I'm having a problem-- I'm trying to print centering ring templates in RS 8 and they're coming out with no holes... like a bulkhead.

Any ideas?? TIA! OL JR
Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I'm having a problem-- I'm trying to print centering ring templates in RS 8 and they're coming out with no holes... like a bulkhead.

Any ideas?? TIA! OL JR

Make sure the centering ring is completely over the inside tube, and not right at the edge. You need to be able to see the inner tube on both sides of the ring.

I just tried creating a CR-5060 in RS9, and when I pull the template up in Corel Draw 12, the inner circle is clearly visible, although the inner area of the circle has not been "cleared out".

Attached is a JPG of the ring...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CR-5060.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  13.7 KB  

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 PM
BAR

Not quite sure I follow you...

I did put the rocket into 3D display and hit the 'wireform' button, and it looks like the centering rings are solid right through the motor mount tube and stuff... doesn't make sense. I entered the centering rings and sized them appropriately on both OD and ID for the respective tubes and stuff they're centering. The motor mount tubes are 80/50 centering rings, and the front paper transition support rings are sized to fit just inside the paper transition at the front and rear on the BT-52 stuffer tube. The OD on the rear one is BT-80 size, basically a 80/52 ring, and the front one is a hair under 2 inch OD to BT-52 size.

The numbers are correct in the fields for the centering ring properties, so I can't see anything glaringly wrong.

Thanks! OL JR
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Forest Sprite

I'm not sure if this will help, because I have never tried to export CR templates from RockSim 8, but perhaps you need to make sure that the ID of the ring is slightly larger than the OD of the tube that will fit in it. For instance, if you define the BT-50's OD as 0.976", then make the ID of the CR-5080 ring something like 0.980" (or whatever), so that RockSim understands that the hole in the ring will be large enough for the BT-50 to pass through it. I don't know, but maybe if you define both diameters - the ID of the ring and the OD if the tube it is meant to center - at exactly the same size, such as 0.976", things get confusing. I don't know if this will help, but it might.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 04-02-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Corrected the dimension examples
Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Forest Sprite

Another thought: if you have the CR placed right at the end of the tube, RS might be thinking that it is a bulkhead. Try moving the ring ever so slightly down (or up) from the end, and see if that helps.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011