Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I have a dowel, 3/8" I think, in my range box; I painted it flourescent orange so as not to lose it in the grass. I use it mostly to push wadding into narrow body tubes (as my fingers are a bit thicker than they used to be...) but it is long enough to drive out friction-fitted engines. I disagree with RD, though... I push them out with slowly increasing steady pressure, holding the body tube carefully to avoid damaging it, and have always had good luck getting them out.

I launched my Bullpup a few weeks back; I wrap tape in a rough spiral starting at the upper end. I put a single wrap on, and try it in the engine tube; if I can push it 3/4 in and pull it out again without difficulty, I put a second layer on; generally, that layer involves less tape. I'm not covering the entire engine, I'm just laying down some tape to make it stay in.

I guess it really takes practice to get it figured out...

Going back to the "Good Old Days" when everything was friction fitted, there really wasn't any particular method for getting motors out.

If the motor protruded at least a 1/4" from the end of the body tube,generally, you could use a pair of pliars or vice grips. But, uf the motor is flush, the dowel method would be a choice. Either tapping (gently) or pushing, the bottom line is the removal of the motor.

Also as noted, you need to gently hold the rocket as well, not to damage the body tube or any items located on the tube body.

Also, I have noticed, depending upon which brand of masking tape used, after flight, the tape may be "sticky" due to the motor heat, in this case, after recovery, I would wait until the motor cools down before trying to remove it.

As pointed out, the Baby Bertha would have been a better choice in this case for a "to build" rocket and is very popular with svhool groups as well as scouts and 4-H'ers.

The bullpup is a great looking rocket, but, with you time restraints, your going to pressed for time.