Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM
steely eyed missile man

Default Things to come RBG

I think for my next model I'll do a RBG. Since I work in CGI I spent some time tonight, and trying not to look at what has been done before, free handed my own design.

She is BT-60 based. 24.5 inches long. And should fly on a D motor.

My plan is a tail cone and nose cone from Alumilite. Vacuum formed glider body and the rest balsa. This will take some trial and error no doubt but I'm trying to keep it simple. It's a bit bigger than the Orbital Transport. But with a BT-60 body tube it can run a bigger motor.

Well lets see what happens. I will detail this CGI model bit more and wasting no time get to the build this weekend. With any luck I can test this two when I get out to the sight in late October.

Here we go again. Keep in mind this is a real quickie wire frame I did tonight but it gets the idea across. Feel free to pick it apart. That's what the forum is for.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

What program do you use? I've been using Lightwave for over 10 years, but I use 3DMax and Maya too.

The design looks like one of our Quest models, since that one flies, yours should too.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 AM
steely eyed missile man

I use Lightwave. Have since the late 90s. I've been in visual effects making real models and creatures before the dark ages came and I had to switch over to CGI to stay alive. Now that too is vanishing to Baliwood. I really don't think CGI is a good practical replacement for good models and creatures. When it's good it's good but it is so often not.

But there it is. These days every young film maker thinks CGI can do everything.

So getting back to models thanks for your insight. I hope you're right.

If you want to see some of my movie work since you're in it too go here:

www.sneillfx.com

And my insanity project:

www.foofightersmovie.com I'm doing all the CGI. editing, practical effects and directing this one. That's why I call it insanity!

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Master Modeler

Pretty cool movie project..At first I thought maybe it pertained to the band of that name

Oh, and the RBG looks pretty cool too!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Steve,

I remember reading somewhere that canards are somewhat of an aerodynamic "no-no" for hobby rockets. Tim Van Milligan of Apogee Components produces a newsletter which has some pretty good information for those in the hobby (perhaps one of the best in current production). In one of the newsletters a while back, he built a rocket that did use canards and made it work (I think it was an Israeli Python, somewhat similar to the AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile). He put a rod through the canards so that were able to freely rotate in the airstream, which removed the instability problem.

You can go to the Apogee website and see these newsletters online. They are in .pdf format.

As an aside, I recall reading a book about aircraft design. One of the engineers, an opponent of canards, said that the optimum placement of canards is on someone else's aircraft.

You might try building a "boiler plate" rocket to see if it flies well, then work on the "Hollywood" one, the kind that Bruce Willis would fly in.

Greg
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Canards are OK, so long as they are straight and not too big. The Jayhawk has canards, as does the SHX Star Shuttle. The Icarus had half a canard...

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM
steely eyed missile man

Thanks guys for your input. Well taken.

Also about Foo Fighters. As it says in the opening text on the trailer it was a term used by pilots in WW2 to describe strange aerial phenomenon. The band took this from there.

The movie is nearly an hour long now and will be a full length movie when done. Not a little short. But I ran out of money for now and employment so I hoping to finish the beginning of next year should things improve.

Thanks again guys,

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
7/21/61

Steve,

Fantastic website! What incredible work.

Really a treat to look through the site and the movie looks great.

The movie trailer got me, I'd go stand in line to see the film.

Thanks again for sharing your site.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 PM
steely eyed missile man

Gus thanks a lot. I glad you enjoyed it.

When the film is done it will be released direct to DVD. Right now I'm in a holding pattern to do our last live action shoot. An hour of the film is all there. I have more editing and CGI to do. But the real hold up now is funds to rent costume, a jeep and a bunch of other stuff.

Part of the reason I'm trying to make a few kits to sell since I'm unemployed at present.

This is just a concept. I may run several past the folks here before I settle on a design I and you guys here might have the right stuff. The German Rocket plane sure has so far. It's going to kit as we speak.

Thanks again Gus,

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Steve,

I remember reading somewhere that canards are somewhat of an aerodynamic "no-no" for hobby rockets.

With the VERY large fin area in the back, it should be ok. I would, however, suggest that U812 add some ventral fins. He can add them on to the wing tips or something.