Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Master Modeler

Default Embedded Images

I have seen some posts in which an image is embedded within the wrapper. Not an atachment to the post, but actually within the post. I can see the insert image button on the composer but all I seem to get (in guided mode) is a [IMG] string...[/IMG] which is replicated in the post. Any help?

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\John Harding\My Documents\th_iss_40.jpg[/IMG]
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I have seen some posts in which an image is embedded within the wrapper. Not an atachment to the post, but actually within the post. I can see the insert image button on the composer but all I seem to get (in guided mode) is a [IMG] string...[/IMG] which is replicated in the post. Any help?

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\John Harding\My Documents\th_iss_40.jpg[/IMG]

You have to have the pic hosted somewhere on the net. The url to the pic goes in there.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Master Modeler

And the world said, aha! Thanks very much for the clarification.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Craftsman

The problem with embedding, vs. attaching images is that often times you will eventually take down the picture from the external source, and then the picture will no longer display properly in the thread. So if someone comes back in 3 years, does a search, and finds a thread that should have answered all their questions, they might find that none of the pictures display and therefore the thread is worthless to them.

If you attach the pics, then they will stay up as long as this forum stays alive...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer

If you attach the pics, then they will stay up as long as this forum stays alive...

Or until the server runs out of space to host them and they have to cull old images.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
The problem with embedding, vs. attaching images is that often times you will eventually take down the picture from the external source, and then the picture will no longer display properly in the thread. So if someone comes back in 3 years, does a search, and finds a thread that should have answered all their questions, they might find that none of the pictures display and therefore the thread is worthless to them.

From an archive perspective, yes, you run the risk of getting red x's where the images should be.

But from a readability perspective - that is, from conveying ideas in the most effective manner - you can't beat embedded images (except for adding formatting such as html).

Trying to follow a detailed description while flipping back and forth between images and text is tedious and makes it harder to understand the details. Having the images (properly sized, of course) interwoven in the text make for far more effective communications, IMNSHO

I'll take readability in the here and now over archive later. That is, my priority is usefulness in the present. But I do share your frustration of doing a search, finding what appears to be an answer, then discovering the pics are missing in the linked web page.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Master Modeler

I have used Photobucket for a few years now to host my pics. Everything I upload to photobucket is already saved on my PC. If those photos ever disappear from the http host, I still have them and can find another server to host them, or simply edit the post and add them as attachments later. I have lots of pics uploaded to Photobucket and have only used a very small fraction of the allotted free space. It'll be a looooong time before I run out of space and need to cull photos. I have only used 6% of my storage space in 5 years(and never deleted any photos), and virtually no bandwidth use. Keep in mind, I usually reduce the picture file sizes to less than 100k each before uploading them. That way, I don't bog down the forum pages too much, and it allows the pages to load quicker. Plus, with the files being that small, I can add them as attachments and still be within most forum limits.