Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 PM
rocket dinosaur

Talking FOUND: G. Harry Stine Collection @ NASM

As usual I was doing research on 1 topic and came across something completely different.

G. Harry Stine Collection, [ca. 1950s-1970s]

Creator: Stine, G. Harry (George Harry), 1928-1997

Title: G. Harry Stine Collection, [ca. 1950s-1970s]

Phy. Description: 12.49 cubic feet (11 records center boxes) (1 flatbox)

Bio / His Notes: G. Harry Stine (1928 - 1997) is a renowned rocket expert and a pioneer in the development of the aerospace hobby of model rocketry. Stine graduated from the University of Colorado, and first worked as an civilian scientist at White Sands Proving Ground as chief of the Controls and Instruments Section of the Propulsion Branch. In 1955, Stine went to work for the U.S. Naval Ordnance Missile Test Facility at White Sands as head of the Range Operations Division and Navy Flight Safety Engineer. Stine later worked as an engineer for Stanley Aviation Corporation and the Huyck Corporation. Stine was the founder of Model Missiles, Inc., which was the first company to produce and market model rockets. He has also served as a freelance consultant for different organizations, including the National Air and Space Museum. Stine is a prolific author of both articles and books on science, astronautics and model rocketry, and he has also written science fiction under the pseudonym, Lee Correy. In 1957, Stine founded the National Association for Rocketry (NAR), and he has remained an active member. He is also a member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astroanutics, the British Interplanetary Society, and the Explorer's Club.

Summary: This collection consists of Stine's collection of archival material relating mainly to his involvement in rocket associations, including the NAR, and his association with model rocket manufacturers. The following mediums are included: photographs from model rocket meets, correspondence, magazine and newspaper articles, newsletters, galley proofs, committee minutes, model rocket drawings, and model rocket manufacturers' brochures.

Restrictions: No restrictions on access

Subject-Topical: Rockets (Aeronautics)
Rocketry
Rockets (Aeronautics) -- Models

Subject-Name: Stine, G. Harry (George Harry), 1928-1997
Model Missiles, Inc
National Association of Rocketry (U.S.)

Form / Genre: Brochures
Newsletters
Clippings
Correspondence
Photographs

Repository Loc: National Air and Space Museum, Archives Division, MRC 322, Washington, DC, 20560

Local Number: XXXX-0573

Looks like I just found the motherload.

hth

Terry Dean
NAR 16158

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 03-15-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
As usual I was doing research on 1 topic and came across something completely different.

G. Harry Stine Collection, [ca. 1950s-1970s]

Creator: Stine, G. Harry (George Harry), 1928-1997

Title: G. Harry Stine Collection, [ca. 1950s-1970s]

Phy. Description: 12.49 cubic feet (11 records center boxes) (1 flatbox)

Bio / His Notes: G. Harry Stine (1928 - 1997) is a renowned rocket expert and a pioneer in the development of the aerospace hobby of model rocketry. Stine graduated from the University of Colorado, and first worked as an civilian scientist at White Sands Proving Ground as chief of the Controls and Instruments Section of the Propulsion Branch. In 1955, Stine went to work for the U.S. Naval Ordnance Missile Test Facility at White Sands as head of the Range Operations Division and Navy Flight Safety Engineer. Stine later worked as an engineer for Stanley Aviation Corporation and the Huyck Corporation. Stine was the founder of Model Missiles, Inc., which was the first company to produce and market model rockets. He has also served as a freelance consultant for different organizations, including the National Air and Space Museum. Stine is a prolific author of both articles and books on science, astronautics and model rocketry, and he has also written science fiction under the pseudonym, Lee Correy. In 1957, Stine founded the National Association for Rocketry (NAR), and he has remained an active member. He is also a member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astroanutics, the British Interplanetary Society, and the Explorer's Club.

Summary: This collection consists of Stine's collection of archival material relating mainly to his involvement in rocket associations, including the NAR, and his association with model rocket manufacturers. The following mediums are included: photographs from model rocket meets, correspondence, magazine and newspaper articles, newsletters, galley proofs, committee minutes, model rocket drawings, and model rocket manufacturers' brochures.

Restrictions: No restrictions on access

Subject-Topical: Rockets (Aeronautics)
Rocketry
Rockets (Aeronautics) -- Models

Subject-Name: Stine, G. Harry (George Harry), 1928-1997
Model Missiles, Inc
National Association of Rocketry (U.S.)

Form / Genre: Brochures
Newsletters
Clippings
Correspondence
Photographs

Repository Loc: National Air and Space Museum, Archives Division, MRC 322, Washington, DC, 20560

Local Number: XXXX-0573

Looks like I just found the motherload.

hth

Terry Dean
NAR 16158

Hmm, I have been using bits and pieces of his collection for years now. I use his scale drawings for my models...

Robert
Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
The Rocketry Blog

Intersting find Terry.

I also came across this in my research:

This is from General Correspondence with NASM 1965-1984
*notice G. Harry's interest in employment at NASM

Folder 17 Stine, G. Harry, 1965-1968. Includes photographs

Box 39 of 64
Folders 1-2 Stine, G. Harry, 1969-1980. Includes photographs
Folder 3 Stine, G. Harry, layouts for sounding rockets and Vikings, 1969. Includes photographs
Folder 4 Stine, G. Harry, copy for sounding rockets fact sheets, 1966
Folder 5 Stine, G. Harry, fact sheets for Jupiter C, Vostock, Explorer I, 1966
Folder 6 Stine, G. Harry, fact sheets for Atlas-D, 1969. Includes photographs
Folder 7 Stine, G. Harry, fact sheets for Mercury spacecraft, 1967. Includes photographs
Folder 8 Stine, G. Harry, fact sheet for Vanguard, 1969
Folder 9 Stine, G. Harry, first world championship of space modelers, 1972
Folder 10 Stine, G. Harry, interest in NASM employment, 1971-1972
Folder 11 Stine, G. Harry, 1973 gift of model rocket collection
Folder 12 Stine, G. Harry, publications

This can be found at
http://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0398.HTM
Print a new rocket today.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

excllent find Wayne!

So when are we going to make an appt to hang out at the SI/NASM for say the next few years to go thru all of this stuff?

I'm ready willing and able!

look what I found!

Box 44 of 64
Folder 13 Estes Industries, 1965-1976. Includes photographs

Box 48 of 64
Folder 5 National Association of Rocketry, 1964-1980

Box 59 of 64
Folder 11 Cox model rocketry, undated

regards,

Terry Dean
NAR 16158

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 03-18-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

There was a talk at last weekend's NARCON by James Duffy who's been going through this collection. Some interesting items there, glimpses of the early days of NAR.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 PM
The Prodigal BAR Returns (again)

Wow, I'll bet that was cool - the original source documents of history!

Earlier this year I finally sat down and read the Stine-Carlisle correspondence from beginning to end (still on the Quest website here). Like watching the birth of the hobby happening before your eyes.... (The history geek in me loves this stuff.)

Any chance that some of the Stine archive will be digitized and made available to the general public?
NAR #29660
I am a SAM - a SAM I am! (#489)
"Who would ever trade a simple, easy-to-understand command line for a confusing GUI and a clumsy mouse? Madness!" --Doswonk, ca. 1993
Old 02-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk
Any chance that some of the Stine archive will be digitized and made available to the general public?

Having spent a fair amount of time with the NASM Stine archive, my guess is "no." There are 12 boxes full of thousands of documents ranging from the mundane to the sublime, but to properly review, assess, catalog, scan, and digitize these would take a great deal of time and money. Making a wild guess, it would take three people working full time a year just to scan and digitize the collection. Since NASM relies on private funding for 95%+ of their activities, a sugar daddy would need to dig deep to make this happen. Fortunately, anyone is welcome to visit the facility and access the archive to perform personal research.

Keep this in mind: most of the archival collections at NASM are in exactly the same status as the G. Harry stuff. They are simply being held in trust, safe and sound, until researchers need them, and that's a good thing.

The Stine/Estes archives at the Museum of Flight in Seattle are another story, though. Apparently there is a professionally-led volunteer effort currently underway to assess and digitize the most important elements of the collection. No idea how long it will take before we see any of it, though...

James