Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Some place far,far.away.

Default Pitsco Rockets

Anyone know about these. I asked around on TRF and seems maybe they were from a major outfit and rebagged for scholol projects?????...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Two-2-P...=item3a6cbd46e8
Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

Pitsco is a company that caters to educational institutions. They carry Estes kits but they also have their own generic stuff and I have no idea where the parts are sourced from. From what little I can see of the nose cone, they look like Pitsco generic kits. The nosecones look to be yellow versions of this one that they offer. They may be by Quest.

Pitsco also has their own printed chutes. This is the one in the eBay listed kits.

Last edited by tbzep : 11-15-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Dazed and Confused

Pitsco also has their own generic kit based on Estes parts. The "Tech" kit is a BT-50 tube with a plastic nose cone from the Alpha. It uses fiber fins, but I can't see enough detail to know if they are Pitsco's own or maybe from the Estes Viking. The eBay kits are definitely not this one.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Some place far,far.away.

Default Strange

Thanks tbzeb. I did do a search before asking about these. For whatever reason I didnt find their main site. I just searched Pitsco Education and found it. Thanks again
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Here is their bulk starter setup. As you can see, they have Estes motors, plugs, and Altitrack. The launch pad and nose cones look like Quest. Wadding looks like generic bulk squares of tissue pomp. I was corrected by someone that it's not called crepe paper a long time ago.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Here is their bulk starter setup. As you can see, they have Estes motors, plugs, and Altitrack. The launch pad and nose cones look like Quest. Wadding looks like generic bulk squares of tissue pomp. I was corrected by someone that it's not called crepe paper a long time ago.

Pomps are pre-cut squares of tissue most commonly used in the creation of parade floats. Pomp is also the flour based glue which enables the pomping of a chicken wire or mesh substructure with pre-cut tissue paper.

Crepe paper is more commonly used as wadding since it is by manufacture a flame retardant material due to the sizing. If it has a wrinkle, then it has been creped from the roller by a blade.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Pomps are pre-cut squares of tissue most commonly used in the creation of parade floats. Pomp is also the flour based glue which enables the pomping of a chicken wire or mesh substructure with pre-cut tissue paper.

Crepe paper is more commonly used as wadding since it is by manufacture a flame retardant material due to the sizing. If it has a wrinkle, then it has been creped from the roller by a blade.

That's what I said, but the person quickly pointed out that the square wadding from Quest has not been creped, therefore it is a tissue pomp, not crepe. Parade float type tissue squares are treated with flame retardant also. If you want to disagree, give Shredvector a call. He got all bent out of shape about it when I called the squares "crepe" several years ago.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Some place far,far.away.

Default One thing leads to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
He got all bent out of shape about it when I called the squares "crepe" several years ago.
No pun there (bent out of shape) This thread has been interesting, as I have been surfing about crepe paper.Fire retardent paper. Found crepe fabric,crepe silk worm, crepe meaning "To make gathers" . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHYI...player_embedded
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Master Modeler

Indeed. The crepe refers to the wrinkles. If it is smooth, then it is not crepe. Paper with "crepe" comes off the yankee roller at the intersection with a long blade and wrinkles - the sizing or glue holding it in place. Purely speaking I recall that Estes wadding came in a strip with perfs, not precut smoooth squares.

No, there was an art history major in the house.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Purely speaking I recall that Estes wadding came in a strip with perfs, not precut smoooth squares.

Yep. Estes wadding is treated toilet paper. However, Quest wadding is tissue pomp squares. And since it was Quest related, Fred got all jiggly inside when I didn't make a perfect reference.