Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Not tryin to over do it, but carefully moved things around & got as many inside pics as i could-was a decal also in APHELION kit; plans are in booklet form. Will photocopy all I can (thru bag on my photocopier) & make available to all who want. Hope this helps-feel free to contact as will leave them out of box till I can get all info I can. Dont see any shock cord mounts but is a pic. dan.
Excellent! Thank you for taking the time and going to the trouble to photo-document these kit components (the decals and the shock cord mounts)! It looks like Semroc, like MPC, produced a "generic" decal sheet with multiple decal components (roll patterns, star-and-bars aircraft insignias, lettering, etc.) that could be applied to different rockets in different combinations. (Maybe Carl could include this decal sheet in the current Swift and Aphelion kits?) Also, two other documenting possibilities come to mind:

Are the LEK-TROL launch controller and/or the launch pad accessible or visible through the Lune R-1 Starter Set's bag? If you could photo-document and/or perhaps even measure them (as a last resort, photographing them with a steel shop ruler in the picture [to permit measurements to be made from the photos] would work), individual cloners--and maybe Semroc--could reproduce them. I believe the triangular LEK-TROL case may have been a generic electronic project cabinet, and the launch pad may have had a triangular wood base, possibly with two terminal screws for attaching the ignition leads (with two short "jumper" leads that had the micro-clips on their ends).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Master Modeler

I just got another idea, Dannymrmissile: If you could re-photograph the "Shock Rubber Attachment Kit" (are the ones in the Swift, Aphelion, and Lune R-1 kits the same size?) with a ruler in the picture to indicate the size, Carl could post a copy of the instructions and pattern(s) on the Semroc web site as a PDF. This would allow kit cloners to print out the pattern(s) on card stock (I presume that's what the original ones were made of) at 100% size, then cut it/them out just as in the original kits. Also, cheaper bulk or "X-Kit" versions of these kits could use the original-type shock cord anchors with rubber shock cords, for school and youth group applications.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 11-21-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done had to correct a typo.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Rocket Launcher Extraordinaire

Quote:
My list is on pricing oop kits-was looking for Gerry to help me determine value of rare Semroc kits from 1970. Anyone know or how I can get up w/ Gerry? dannymrmissile. ps-click onto kit collecting.

I am willing to pay $12.00 apiece for them.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
They were definitely sold in Florida. At the now-defunct Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami, I saw an original Semroc Lune R-1 (a stand-alone kit, not the starter set) in the early 1970s. Alas, it was a classic example of "If I knew then what I know now..." :-(

True-I went to Orange Blossom Hobbies in 1971. My sister lives in Miami. I (still have) a OBH Catalog from 1971-has all the semrocs in it; also cox mpc/avi, etc. Was at that time I got my 1st Camroc & centuri Hustler w 3 F engines.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
On my last launch I had a "D" engine blow out the inside of the rocket while on the pad..not sure why it happened, but it was a first for me.

Same thing happened-crack in grain produced large burn area-like a core burner, but design /shape of crack caused uncontrolled burn (too fast), or simply an explosion. Might take em a while, but if you send the case back to estes, they'll send you pack of 3 replacements ! (happened to me once w/C6-5-they sent me a pk)-if was a current rocket-tell them, should replace it too, or something close. Send reciept if U got it. dan.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
BAR

Thanks for sharing this Danny. Excellent to see original Semroc kits!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Craftsman

Do you plan on building or selling them...or putting them away for prosperity?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:33 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Thanks for sharing this Danny. Excellent to see original Semroc kits!

You're welcome, Paul-was my pleasure. Write anytime, and for anything . dan.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
Do you plan on building or selling them...or putting them away for prosperity?

Obviously, none of the above-except maybe the latter, but not for prosperity but enjoyment. Im photoing & photocopying all I can-for as I said earlier-all who wants. This isn't about me. I worked on getting these for a long time. I was fortunate. Of course I wouldn't BUILD them ! I doubt anyone would pay more than what I had to, to get them. (sorry, dont ask -i'll only say "ouch" to that one) ! Seller was quite shrewd. Took both cash and kits to get though-I will tell you that much. Plus I didn't work all this time to obtain them just to turn around & sell. Believe it or not these are my 1st vintage SEMROC kits after a life time in rocketry. That makes them special too. My curiosity was as quenched as everyone elses upon recieving them. I just got them, so I'll savor a while. I think the (kit) hangover will last a while though, so Im not looking ahead at this point. Still curious as to their "value", which leaves me to entertain some serious offers- Trade only. Sorry, got carried away-hope this helps. dan. ps-prosperity ??, what does this tell me ( and all else) ? HELP !!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM
BAR

Quote:
ps-prosperity ??, what does this tell me ( and all else) ? HELP !!!
I think he meant "Posterity", i.e. for future generations.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org