Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiKid
The Centuri Powr Pad is one of my favorite launchers.

This. It was one hec of a good grab 'n go launcher. I still have mine, somewhere.

But Bill... I agree that the retro factor is cool... but if you like that starter set then you ought to be really thrilled with the new "KISS" model rocket sets from Estes.

-Wolf
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
This. It was one hec of a good grab 'n go launcher. I still have mine, somewhere.

But Bill... I agree that the retro factor is cool... but if you like that starter set then you ought to be really thrilled with the new "KISS" model rocket sets from Estes.

-Wolf

Nah, not so much. I saw Kiss and Star Trek pretty much the same way. They were hugely popular among some of my friends, but I never got into either one. I could probably think of an episode/movie or two of Star Trek and I think I have a Kiss Greatest Hits CD, but that's about the extent of it for me. I just liked the 1977 stink on this. And the launcher.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Dude, your string is hangin'.

Cool rocket and launch pad, as 99.9999999999999999% of anybody would agree.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The Centuri Powr Pad is one of my favorite launchers. The way that everything collapses/winds up so you can just grab the handle and go is a great idea. While not perfect for a day of flying, it's hard to find a pad that is more convenient for a quick park launch. I would imagine that the Estes version has similar qualities.
Maybe an updated version using 4 "D" batteries instead of a lantern battery would be a good updated variant. I always preferred Centuri's angled jet deflector, as plume "splashback" marring of the paint on rockets was nil when using it (with the disc jet deflectors, the rockets must be suspended above them to prevent splashback).
Quote:
I like your idea for a MMX pad. I really liked their old "silo" pad (the ignitors, not so much). Just being able to throw a pack of motors and a few rockets in the folding panels and walk to the park without preparing for a big launch is a huge plus. The new MMX pad is nice too but not quite as portable. If you can get your idea made, I'm in for buying a few.
Thank you. I PM'ed the MMX pad suggestion to Bill Stine.
Quote:
As a side note, I have drawn the Challenger-1 and Proton Torpedo for MMX cardstock rockets and launch them frequently. I wish I could find a scan of the Star Trek version so I could add it to the fleet.
Could you post links to these? They sound interesting.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR