Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

I had a good boost experience back in the 70's with my X-Wing. I didn't mount the four flight fins on the Incom 4L4 Fusal Thrust Engines because it caused quantum flux intereference....ok, I thought it looked ugly. I mounted the fins on short pieces of a wooden pencil and trimmed some arrowhead erasers to friction fit in the engines for flight. I don't know if it helped with stability to have the fins an inch or two farther back because it did add some weight and moved the CG back a little. It did make for a much nicer display without the fins, though.

I flew my X-Wing a total of one time. Boost was nice, but I don't recall the motor. Ejection was fine. Recovery wasn't so great. The chute tangled in the laser pods and the whole thing half tumbled back down. I caught the X-Wing, but it was coming down fast enough that one balsa wing popped off the plastic. It was an easy fix, but I realized it was likely to happen every time I flew it so the model was retired.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:56 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Great blog entry Bill! And yes, Chris, I do read your launch posts - one of the best parts about your blog.

I have a couple of X-Wings; actually built one once and flew it, with similar results. The thing may look nice, but it flies like a pig.

The one I bought via Ebay from the estate of the New York teacher flew great. I flew it at NARAM in 2013 and aside from a hard landing, I was impressed. I lost one of the small fins that mounts on the engine pod, then couldn't find it when I noticed it was missing and went back. It might have broken off at ejection.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Read through the blog again while ago. Did you holler out, " He's on me tight! I can't shake him!" when the X-Wing went down?

Probably more like...

"Cover me, Porkins"...

"Uh, I got a problem here..."

"PULL UP!!!"

"No, I got it... I'm alright... AAAAHHHHHhhhhh!!!!!!"

BOOM!

OL JR
Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Probably more like...

"Cover me, Porkins"...

"Uh, I got a problem here..."

"PULL UP!!!"

"No, I got it... I'm alright... AAAAHHHHHhhhhh!!!!!!"

BOOM!

OL JR

Yep, that's the guy I was going for, but my memory isn't what it used to be. After I posted and had to get back to work, I realized I quoted Luke instead of the guy that bit the farm.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:47 PM
aka Baron von Rohde

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

14 flights yesterday, with almost zero tragedy.
Nah, you know I'll have some drama in there somewhere.

Always enjoy reading about what I don't get to witness. Love the shirt too.
SAM 0114
NARtrek Silver

2015 motors - 1469 n/s (200 flights)
2016 motors - 1238 n/s (175 flights)
2017 motors - 1/2A-4, A-26, B-52, C-47, D-6, E-7, F-3 = 1238 n/s (138 flights)
2018 motors - 1128 n/s (104 flights)
2019 motors - 2241 n/s (189 flights)
2020 motors(thru 7/25/20) - 1/8A-1, 1/2A-3, A-14, B-23, C-27, D-11, E-6, F-2 = 876 n/s (81 flights)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yep, that's the guy I was going for, but my memory isn't what it used to be. After I posted and had to get back to work, I realized I quoted Luke instead of the guy that bit the farm.

LOL Not like I haven't seen that movie about 10,000 times... LOL

Betty won't watch it with me, because I can quote every line in it, in the character's voice, even the aliens with alien languages, a second before the character delivers the line... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Bill,

The B6-4 Field looks like a great little neighborhood park in which to fly rockets. I miss the days of going to an empty park to fly, or that relic of the past -- the vacant lot at the end of our street.

Does your town specifically allow launching model rockets, or do you just fly there figuring you'd rather ask for forgiveness if needed? I took my grand kids to a local schoolyard where I flew with their mother when she was a student there, but that was back in the 90s. A lot has changed in 20+ years. And that includes the size of the trees!

I'm tempted to just find a huge park in town but hesitate on whether to call the city to see what policy is on model rockets.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bill,

The B6-4 Field looks like a great little neighborhood park in which to fly rockets. I miss the days of going to an empty park to fly, or that relic of the past -- the vacant lot at the end of our street.

Does your town specifically allow launching model rockets, or do you just fly there figuring you'd rather ask for forgiveness if needed? I took my grand kids to a local schoolyard where I flew with their mother when she was a student there, but that was back in the 90s. A lot has changed in 20+ years. And that includes the size of the trees!

I'm tempted to just find a huge park in town but hesitate on whether to call the city to see what policy is on model rockets.

It is a great field if you remember the limitations, but I've forgotten 30-something times. Every one of those rockets mocks me when I fly. There isn't a tree around the field that hasn't got a bad memory for me. I started launching there in 1977, and there have been rocketry classes that flew there and a science teacher who used to take his kids there to fly when they were younger, so I feel like we're grandfathered in. I make sure the only thing I leave is footprints and the occasional igniter plug, and I pick up dangerous stuff when I run across it, like on Sunday when I found the shards of aluminum from a Rockstar can that had been mown. It was like a little ball of razor wire, and I figured it would hurt if someone landed on it while playing football or soccer.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2