Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Rides the short bus to work.

Send a message via AIM to evo666 Send a message via MSN to evo666
Default Sixty Acres Freedom Launch in Washington.

Hi guys, I've been on this site for a few months and learned a lot since joining. Yesterday was the first time I launched a rocket since ~13 years ago. The reason why I chose this day is because when I was in the military, our unit intercepted our first scud missile with a Patriot on this day with me on crew duty. I know it might not mean much to you guys but it holds something deep within my heart. All of this was during the Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom in 2003.
It was hard to find a launch site that's big enough park around Seattle that doesn't have that strict of regulation and trees or houses. Within my google search I found a site in Redmond, WA. that's perfect to launch rockets with a wide enough area. When I arrived, I was surprised by a boy scout type group of people just wrapping up their launches. I also talked to a few family that was out there launching with their kids. When I watched them, my child hood days came flashing back, so I started up launching mine. I got so caught up in the moment that I only got one picture of a rocket on the pad. After it was all an done, I launched twelve time with friend with Estes Patriot, patriot rtf, farside, alpha, and black brant II. I also let some kid launch one, I think I got him hooked after that one Overall it was a slightly windy day but it was all worth every moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG00025-20100320-1646.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  260.1 KB  
Old 03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo666
Hi guys, I've been on this site for a few months and learned a lot since joining. Yesterday was the first time I launched a rocket since ~13 years ago. The reason why I chose this day is because when I was in the military, our unit intercepted our first scud missile with a Patriot on this day with me on crew duty. I know it might not mean much to you guys but it holds something deep within my heart. All of this was during the Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom in 2003.
It was hard to find a launch site that's big enough park around Seattle that doesn't have that strict of regulation and trees or houses. Within my google search I found a site in Redmond, WA. that's perfect to launch rockets with a wide enough area. When I arrived, I was surprised by a boy scout type group of people just wrapping up their launches. I also talked to a few family that was out there launching with their kids. When I watched them, my child hood days came flashing back, so I started up launching mine. I got so caught up in the moment that I only got one picture of a rocket on the pad. After it was all an done, I launched twelve time with friend with Estes Patriot, patriot rtf, farside, alpha, and black brant II. I also let some kid launch one, I think I got him hooked after that one Overall it was a slightly windy day but it was all worth every moment.

If you havn't already, you should contact NW Rocketry ( http://rocketsnw.com/?page_id=545). I beleive they fly at 60 achres every month.

Sean
Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
BAR

Default Washington State launch Sites

OPROC Olympic Peninsula Rocketry has an 84 Acre launch site w/ an extended downrange recovery area of about 20+ acres. We are a 4-H club but open to the public in most cases .
Check our web site for up comming launchs. Also have posted a Google Earth overhead shoot of our launch site on our home page link below.

John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Master Modeler

Glad it went well and you were able to fly at 60 Acres. I need to find out what the current rocket flying arrangement is with the soccer people that have been so difficult to deal with from the RC sailplane flyers' point of view for years and years.

I was still up in BC with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter through late yesterday. We did do a little rocket flying out of a schoolyard up there on Friday afternoon and each of them got to launch one. None of them had ever seen a model rocket fly before.

We put up an Estes RTF Athena once, my BMS School Rocket twice, my Sky Bird II once (all on Estes A8-3s - it was a fairly small school yard) and put the first flight on my Fliskits MMX Crayon.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-21-2010, 04:55 PM

BEC, glad you got to launch with your family. I'm curious now what the regulation for bringing rocket motors across the border.

Thanks for the link guys, I'll be sure to join them for a launch.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo666
BEC, glad you got to launch with your family. I'm curious now what the regulation for bringing rocket motors across the border.

Don't ask, don't tell.....

I honestly don't know, but I didn't volunteer and they didn't ask. I just have some A-C black powder motors in my regular range box.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Junior Rocketeer

The arranement with the soccer folks is that it's a public park, but the soccer folks have first right to the fields. Any time the fields are not in use by the soccer club, it is free for use to unorganized, low impact activity.

That said, I believe that the soccer activities start up in June, and they have the fields booked every weekend from June through late November.

As for the R/C folks, the fields are big enough that we generally stay out of each others' way, and everyone calls it good.

Someone mentioned earlier, but it's worth repeating: www.rocketsnw.com covers OROC (Oregon) and WAC (Washington Aerospace Club) activities pretty well. WAC is the local TRA/NAR club for the Puget Sound area, and also the host club for F.I.T.S in Mansfield on Memorial Day weekend.

FYI, with the current class 1 definitions for model rockets, you can certify L1 at 60 Acres. With that much impulse on a rocket less than 3.3 lbs (also a class 1 requirement), recovery is a challenge, since the field is actually on the small side for high power.

Cheers,
- Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Glad it went well and you were able to fly at 60 Acres. I need to find out what the current rocket flying arrangement is with the soccer people that have been so difficult to deal with from the RC sailplane flyers' point of view for years and years.

I was still up in BC with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter through late yesterday. We did do a little rocket flying out of a schoolyard up there on Friday afternoon and each of them got to launch one. None of them had ever seen a model rocket fly before.

We put up an Estes RTF Athena once, my BMS School Rocket twice, my Sky Bird II once (all on Estes A8-3s - it was a fairly small school yard) and put the first flight on my Fliskits MMX Crayon.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
BAR

Ken
I might add this club and launch site to the list. www.bmr615.org located in Dayton,Wa.
I have attended launches at Blue Mountian Rocketeers for the past two years have always had a great time . A well run launch, friendly people all on a 66 acre site. free camping vendor and no launch fees. September launch Rolling Thunder will feature a Saturday Classic Launch with Rockets from the 60,70 or 80's . Check it out.

John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037

Last edited by johnnwwa : 03-22-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah when I was launching a few RC guys were battling it out with their planes. My rockets even floated down to their path and they don't seem to mind. Although one plane did fly pretty close to my pad. Think he was trying to tell me it's rc plane time since they had to wait till 5pm to fly.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Master Modeler

Uh, John, it's www.bmr615.org, rather than .com.....

now corrected in the original post....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 03-23-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: updated status