Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2016, 05:52 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Thanks for the explanation on the Zenix, Matt.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

My deleted post explaining two workable fixes for the kit would make possible a release without reworking the molds. I am hoping Estes will read the post.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Craftsman

Estes probably will.
The problem is with the consumer "know it all" will never read directions.
Which leaves a safety problem, even when directed on exactly what to do.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default Estes Stealth Nighthawk

The 1996 Estes catalog (Actually a mostly 1995 catalog with a 1996 product insert) announced several new products.

One was a large, rocket boosted, glide recovery model of the U.S. Air Force F-117A stealth fighter.

Product number was listed as 2117.

This model was to be molded from TufFlite(TM) foam-like material.

According to the catalog, it would be a Skill Level 1 kit.

"Vertical spiral boost to hundreds of feet"

"Returns with a long circling glide"

"Easy to build, no painting required"

"Great for fields of all sizes"

Length: 40.6 cm (16.0 in.)

Wingspan: 39.4 cm (15.5 in.)

Wt.: 170 g (6 oz.)

Engine: C6-3

This was going to be a large-sized model.

I do not recall ever seeing this model displayed at any trade shows I attended.
I did see a mock-up of the product box for the model.

As things turned out, this model never made it into production and release.
From what I recall at the time the model was having a difficult development with all the prototype models having flight issues. Whether the flight issues involved boost, recovery/glide or both I do not remember. None of the test models survived or their parts/remains.

It does appear that actual packaging for the model was produced and I managed to get ahold of one.

Interestingly, for a Skill Level 1 kit the supplies required for assembly on the box include contact cement, epoxy and yellow/white glue. Also paint is listed. So much for easy to build, no painting required.

If anyone has any additional information on this product please feel free to share it.

Attached are pictures of an apparent production package for this kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes F-117 001.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  276.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes F-117 002.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  263.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes F-117 003.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  1.02 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes F-117 004.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.12 MB  
Old 01-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Sometimes collector

Thank you for doing this, it is facinating!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Craftsman

Yea, I recall being quite enthused about that Stealth glider, couldn't wait for it to be released.

That is, until I noticed its intended weight, likening it to the 'Foam Orbiter of Death' and SRX, both of which were DOGS on 18mm C6s.

Might make my own version, using 3mm Depron and paper, as it would not have to be overbuilt to use Estes C6-3s. Was going to do that back in those days, but hadn't gone far enough with Depron then, and the lightest stuff available was not going to save much weight.

Speaking of SRX, I had Estes send me one free, to replace a scratch glider toasted by a Bad Lot C5-3 (Fred knows about those ). Made my own D12 pod for that, and thus it performed WAY better than the standard-built clunker someone else locally had.

For all the guff that Barry Tunick gets around here, he DID try to get a LOT of neato concept type goodies out there, starting in '92, right after he bought Estes. Some great ideas, but horrid execution thereof.....
Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Level 5 Certified

This was a pretty neat model. The balsa prototypes had a real nice glide. The issue was getting the darn thing to boost straight. Dave Meyers, the designer, finally just fixed one elevator to roll the bird on the way up, and that solved the problem. The high weight was the nose weight required to get the CG far enough forward.

The foam molds for the production model never got completed; as problems continued to crop up between the mold maker and the production house, it finally was cheaper to pull the plug on the project than to continue. If I recall correctly, this was much bigger than the other products the foam molder had been making, and it may have been their equipment was not sized properly to make the parts.

Matt
Old 02-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Default NCRBE Orbit

In the mid-1990s, North Coast Rocketry (NCR), an early name in mid- and high-power rocketry, entered into an licensing agreement with Estes Industries to develop and release larger (mid-power) rocketry products.

Referred to as 'North Coast Rocketry By Estes' (NCRBE) this joint collaboration resulted in the release of eight rocket kits in 3" and 4" diameters along with a large Star Wars X-Wing Fighter model. Launch equipment, parts and a line of rocket motors labeled 'Dark Star' represented the original product release in 1998.

Additional products were expected and a hint of what they might be came in the form of a press release in October of 1998:

"Coming in February from North Coast Rocketry line is the Orbit(tm) High Impulse model rocket launch set. The minimum diameter Orbit(tm) is designed to fly over 3,000 feet on Dartkstar motors and is recovered by a huge fluorescent streamer. Kit also features pre-colored body tube and one piece fin unit for easy assembly. And because the rocket weighs less than a pound at liftoff, no FAA notification is required. The Orbit Launch Set also comes with the Modular(tm) Launch Pad and High Impulse(tm) Launch Controller."

So what was this 'Orbit' model rocket kit? Stay tuned...
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Definitely tuned in. This is some really interesting history. In about 1991 or so, I had gotten out of the hobby and just returned to it last year. The developments to MPR/HPR over the last 20 years is astounding. I suppose you could see in the current Estes PSII line a lineage to this early development with NCR.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Default NCRBE Orbit

The genisis of the Orbit launch set was a decision by Estes management which wanted a less expensive NCRBE starter set than the originally released Phantom 4000 set.

The goal of the Orbit launch set was a mid-power launch set with an SRP under $100.00.

As with the Phantom 400 set no motors would be included.

It was planned to make the Orbit launch set an exclusive product for either Sam's Club or Costco.

The Modular Launch Pad was the same NCRBE unit already sold withthe Phantom 4000 set.

The High Impulse Launch Controller was planned to be a less expensive unit than the Command Controller sold with the Phantom 4000 set. While it was never produced the High Impulse controller was the design basis for the eventual Pro Series II launch controller.

TBC...