Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

I was zero for four on lesser important kits (including Advanced Target Drone. that was an open hole in the collection) and fear that the upcoming K kits will meet the same fate.

Including postage the Der V3 went for $73, a substantial amount.

Upon checking the lastest closed auctions in Watching section, the Honest John #1919 sold for $160 to our bidder. Indeed, it is a good time to be selling kits on eBay.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Well, he does get outbid once in a while.

Here e.g.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 06-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Well, he does get outbid once in a while.

Here e.g.

Heh. Glad to see that Joe made a killing.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Default No more updates until late July

Well, my China apartment PC suffered major HD failure this week. Good news is all the data files were salvaged; bad news is I lost all applications including website management and image processing capabilities. As a result, there will be a long delay in the next Estes database update until I return to US in mid July and no progress on individual kit description pages.

On a positive note, the Dell lasted over 4 years without a HD failure and traveled around the world numerous times.

Will continue to monitor eBay kit sales and post a significant update in late July.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Master Modeler

I hope some of you are selling your vintage kits, I know I am driving up the bid cost on Ebay, and 9**k us still out bidding me. My budget is 150 per kit and he still outbids that amount.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I hope some of you are selling your vintage kits, I know I am driving up the bid cost on Ebay, and 9**k us still out bidding me. My budget is 150 per kit and he still outbids that amount.

Your pain is shared as 9**k is most aggressive regardless of my bids. I hoped to secure a few of the tougher kits this weekend but was skunked again. Clearly prices are being driven up by all involved and the sellers are benefiting.

Was able to pick up a lovely K-39 Saturn V with pre-Damon yellow hang tag outside of ebay past week.

If one does step back and look at the current eBay situation, demand clearly outweighs supply. It only takes a few new collectors to move into Estes kits to drive up demand and prices in a hurry. Imagine if Estes kit collecting grows in a structured manner with an active market emerging on and off eBay? Currently pricing levels would appear to be bargains.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

9***k !!!!!!!

I just bumped into him.

Is he really paying a fair price?

Here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=120438813221

And especially here for the Estes Farside-X - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=320388309379

Look at the bid history list on that one!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM

9***K is over paying for kits. Just look at the historical pricing data on my website and then compare to amounts paid by 9***K. The problem is 9***K is dominating eBay at the moment and not allowing anyone else the chance to purchase. I've tracked his habits closely since I watch each Estes kit listing for the database. 9***K is also buying duplicate kits as is the case with two Nebulion Warrior kits offered about 7 days apart. I wanted one of the two for my collection (it is a difficult kit to find) but 9***K aggressively bought both examples.

9***K should back off a bit and share; then he might be spending less as bidding returns to a more "normal" pace.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin

9***K should back off a bit and share; then he might be spending less as bidding returns to a more "normal" pace.

Guys like this don't share, don't want to share, cannot spell "share" if you spot them 4 of the letters. It is all about having everything out there that is up for grabs. "I have it all, and you have none." I think price is meaningless to some of these bidders, it has to be a big power grab.

A few years ago I was looking for deals on Saito 4-stroke RC airplane engines. There was a guy that was buying everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. He was buying new engines for way more than you'd pay in a hobby store. I figured he was terminal ,and spending his bucks in his few remaining days. After a couple months he disappeared. I always wondered if he ran out of money, or ran out of time ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Default Next Estes Kit Pricing Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
Well, my China apartment PC suffered major HD failure this week. Good news is all the data files were salvaged; bad news is I lost all applications including website management and image processing capabilities. As a result, there will be a long delay in the next Estes database update until I return to US in mid July and no progress on individual kit description pages.

On a positive note, the Dell lasted over 4 years without a HD failure and traveled around the world numerous times.

Will continue to monitor eBay kit sales and post a significant update in late July.

Plans to return home to USA are finalized and a significant ESTES kit pricing update should appear around July 25. EBay sales have been a tad slow of late but still expect the total number of captured listings to top 3400; a significant amount. Working with Mojo1986's database, I've also fine tuned the K kit variant listings for better visibility on early kit rarity including the various packing configurations. Finally, I've started to track pricings from July 1 onward separately. Eventually, a pricing range for February 08 through June 09 will be posted followed by more recent 2H 09 activity.

I simply cannot wait to return home to attend CMASS Aug 1 luanch and NERRF later in the month. This will be the first time to attend a major event such as NERRF. The build pile (vs. kits for collection) is growing; one sometime loses perspective on the amount of kits ordered online until returning home to see the shipping boxes.........