Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 06:46 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'm at the "G------ wraps keep pulling off" stage of my 1999 vintage Saturn V. I'm going to try cleaning the 77 adhesive from the ends and tack them down with CA.

Since the 1/100 built-it kit is returning, I'm OK with a RTF Saturn; it would make a nice gift item, and if it ends up in Target and such, it might bring new kids to the hobby.

everyone should give up on the Scotch sprays and go old-school with Weldwood Contact Cement (which was in the little capsules that Centuri put in their Saturn kits (and later, I think they put small bottles of Weldwood in the kits)

The Saturn V I built in 1969 spent most of its time in the next decade in my parents' attic. While the plastic wraps themselves started cracking, they dared not leave the rocket itself. When I restored the rocket in 1980, i had to scrape the wrap remnants off with an xacto blade.

Contact cement is tricky to use (coat both surfaces to bond and let them dry, and then you have one chance (ONE) to get them together right), but the results are great.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Yes, Scotch 77 has changed some over the years. My first can held a lot better than the last one I had. I remember those little red contact cement capsules.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I use Sig Core-Bond contact cement to attach wraps to tubes. It was designed for bonding Balsa and 1/64 ply wing skins to foam cores of R/C airplane wings.
That product has been discontinued for a few years (due to VOC content) but one may be able to find some online.
It works REALLY well but the surfaces must dry completely a couple hours before bonding.
If I didn't use that, I'd use Weldwood Contact Cement.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Launching since 1970.

ampoule (also ampule).

I wonder if anyone still manufactures those plastic ampules of contact cement? Maybe not, since kids (or stupid YouTubers) will eat them like Tide Pods.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Master Modeler

I find working with the 3M 77 adhesive frustrating. I used CA to tack down the ends of wraps on my Saturn V and Little Joe II after the 77 let loose.

I might buy some contact cement today, and see how it works on the one remaining wrap on my Saturn V.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 10-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I just bought a can of 3M 77 spray about a month ago, when I started my Saturn V build. I guess I’ll just have to fly the heck out of it if the wraps are going to come off anyway.

I may just use thin CA on the next one. As long as you use very small tubing on the CA bottle, you can dispense it in pretty controllable small doses.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 10-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I find working with the 3M 77 adhesive frustrating. I used CA to tack down the ends of wraps on my Saturn V and Little Joe II after the 77 let loose.

I might buy some contact cement today, and see how it works on the one remaining wrap on my Saturn V.

Careful, some brands of contact cement can actually melt vacu-formed styrene. Permatex, in particular. Test first on scrap styrene. I tacked down the ends of my Sat. V wrap with thick CA then wicked thin CA around the top and bottom edges. The capillary action of the CA worked well.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Craftsman

Gotta throw in a strong recommendation that Saturn V builders consider the 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. You can get it at Home Depot.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...93242219&rt=rud

This is essentially a sprayable contact cement that allows a few seconds of repositioning time. The product comes out in lace-like pattern. Just spray a light coat on each surface, allow a couple of minutes for the solvent to flash off, and stick the two parts together. Much, much better that the Type 77 adhesive!

Two important tips: 1) the lace-like splatter of the spray is normal, and 2) anything more than a light spray will distort the plastic of a typical wrap.

I used this on the 1/12 Little Joe that is featured on the cover of the July/August issue of Sport Rocketry, and also on the Little Joe II that is featured in an epic build thread on the other forum.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...7/#post-1545350

Hope this helps,
James
Old 10-13-2018, 07:26 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Gotta throw in a strong recommendation that Saturn V builders consider the 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. You can get it at Home Depot.

Let me second the recommendation for M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. I used it on my NARAM-60 Saturn V and it worked just as James described.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Master Modeler

I bought some Weldwood contact cement.

I preserved plenty of styrene scraps from the wrap sheets, to test compatibility! A few days ago, when I needed something to clean off the useless spray adhesive from the inside of the wraps, I used the scraps to see how paint thinner would effect them. Brushed a little on two pieces, then clamped them together. Didn't bond!
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM