Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

This is a project that I just finished tonight. Is it just me, or should this one be placed alongside the SDI Satellite on the Parthenon of Ugly?

I woulda just built a SCUD out of it. (in fact, that's what I intended to do... but like everything else, got the nose cone sitting here, nothing else built.)
Old 10-13-2007, 04:47 PM
BP Mafia

Default Separated at birth?

(That's my "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" tie. Unless it's a REALLY special day and I'm wearing Speed Racer or the Rainbow Trout.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
(That's my "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" tie. Unless it's a REALLY special day and I'm wearing Speed Racer or the Rainbow Trout.)

Are those Ralph Marlin ties?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Are those Ralph Marlin ties?

Rush ties

I had a Rush tie back in the day. A really nice tie, I don't know what happened to it.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:31 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:

This is a project that I just finished tonight. Is it just me, or should this one be placed alongside the SDI Satellite on the Parthenon of Ugly?

Actually, not only do I kind-of like it , but have my own 75 % finished ( built sans motor mount, no painting or sealing yet ).
looks like a nice high grade build ( as always from Mr Bill , any tricks / tips on masking the cone bands ?

I also have a secret project, well here goes th secret, oops.... in th eowrks, hope to be done by spring 08 for my long over due L3 attempt, and yes... 12.5" upscale of this very bird... pics someday.

~ AL
Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Actually, not only do I kind-of like it , but have my own 75 % finished ( built sans motor mount, no painting or sealing yet ).
looks like a nice high grade build ( as always from Mr Bill , any tricks / tips on masking the cone bands ?

Masking was easy. Prime. Let dry. Paint gloss white. Let dry. Wrap the two sections that need masking with good masking tape, then use a sharp knife to cut away everything but that area to remain white. (The grooves are deep. Just let the knife follow them while you turn the cone.) Spray red. Let dry. UNMASK! "Seize him and unmask him--that we may know whom we have to hang, at sunrise, from the battlements!"

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Craftsman

Looks like you did a really nice job on it.

You know, back when the DART came out, I remember looking at the picture in the catalog and thinking, 'what a stupid looking rocket,' but I appreciate it a little more now. It is different looking.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:04 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Masking was easy. Prime. Let dry. Paint gloss white. Let dry. Wrap the two sections that need masking with good masking tape, then use a sharp knife to cut away everything but that area to remain white. (The grooves are deep. Just let the knife follow them while you turn the cone.) Spray red. Let dry. UNMASK! "Seize him and unmask him--that we may know whom we have to hang, at sunrise, from the battlements!"

OK, follow that logic, overthinking the issue made it seem difficult to me :P

I was thinking either appropriate sized tubing over the ends, or that you;d have to cut the tape ( ala a paper shroud), but makes sense to tape up then trim, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_bus

You know, back when the DART came out, I remember looking at the picture in the catalog and thinking, 'what a stupid looking rocket,' but I appreciate it a little more now. It is different looking.

agree, it's one of those designs that sort of 'grows' on you .... I started it because I had the cone, and because it's one you never see.. figured that made it a good choice ( so no going and everyone building one now, hear ? .

figure a 12"+ version will get some attention, and the short taper on the cone should be easy enough * knock on wood * ( wish me luck, lol )

~ AL
Old 10-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I was thinking either appropriate sized tubing over the ends, or that you;d have to cut the tape ( ala a paper shroud), but makes sense to tape up then trim, thanks
Al,

With tubes and/or shrouds, it's still easy to get them on crooked and end up dissatisfied. The key is marking the nosecone. Taping (masking) is fairly easy once the line(s) is drawn. The difficulty is in taking the time to make a jig for drawing the line. Here's how I do it: http://home.flash.net/~samily/stuff...p-marking2b.pdf

HTH.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Sams : 10-15-2007 at 03:31 PM.