Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Tunick

Actually, that would have been Trust Company of the West. Tunick was just a hired gun.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 07-30-2018, 03:49 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
Actually, that would have been Trust Company of the West. Tunick was just a hired gun.

But Tunick did eventually buy it from TCW in 2002, supposedly for $15 million.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Avid Builder

Received my replacement A and B Q-Jet motors today ( with the narrower diameter casing). Tried it in a few motor mounts, fit every one. Was expecting a piece of heat shrink tubing to hold the igniter in the nozzle but nada. Instructions say to use a piece of masking tape. Only heat shrink is attached to the lead wires to mark the correct position for inserting.

Also saw an announcement on the Quest website that the C and D motor pre-orders will start shipping shortly after Labor Day weekend, and it might take up to two weeks to clear the backlog. Haven't received a shipping notice yet for my pre-order. Twiddling thumbs, drumming fingers......
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Once the C and D motors are IN STOCK and shipping I will order.
Not falling for it like that last 18mm Quest D "coming soon" debacle that was reminiscent of the vaporware Enerjet D21 in the 70's or the Quest BP Thunderjets like 10 years ago.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-30-2018, 08:54 AM
BAR

My C12/D-16 Q-Jet order arrived yesterday - fit is very good in every 18mm model I tested. I think I'll do the first flight in my plastic 18mm X-Wing, which flies best on the C5-3. It'll be interesting to see how quick it gets going with the progressive thrust curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  C5-vs-C12.png
Views: 32
Size:  140.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  C6-vs-C12.png
Views: 34
Size:  139.6 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-30-2018, 10:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What I really liked about the old C5-3 was the REgressive thrust profile. Quick kick off the pad with a long sustaining lower thrust.
Great for the Mars Lander, Space Shuttle 1284, R2D2, and other high-drag heavy short rockets.
The Quest C should be better than the C6-3 turd, but it is not similar to the C5-3. Thankfully I still have like 15 paks of C5-3'S.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Master Modeler

I also received a box of Q-Jets a couple of days ago. So far I've only test-fitted two (a B4-4 and an A3-4). They both went right in one of the models that frustrated me when I got my first Q-Jets.

The heat shrink for holding the initiators in is, in these packages, in the black straw with the initiators themselves.

My box included a pack of C12-6s, but the pack of D12-8s that were on the packing list were shown as backordered there.

Perhaps I'll get a chance to fly a couple of them next week.

It was interesting seeing the evolution of the package insert. They're now calling them Q-Jets by Aerotech Consumer Aerospace - the Quest name is no longer on the package insert anywhere (though the motor labels themselves still carry the name). And they are calling the package a "complete launch pack" I suppose to clue in folks that there is wadding in the package as well besides the small type at the bottom of the front panel.

There are multiple suggestions in the instructions about how to get a tight motor to fit and how to protect the plastic parts of an RTF. And there is a warning to not "apply pressure on the initiator after it has contacted the delay element." On the back there is a table with maximum liftoff masses for each impulse-delay combination, as there should have been.

The A impulse motors in the just-arrived box have the prior version of the package insert with the Quest name and suggesting one use tape to hold the initiator in (and calling the C motors C14s).

I also ordered the last four packs of the original sized B4-4s that were in stock from jonrocket a few days ago. Now that I know what to do with them, I'll get 'em flown. And Roger had a nice price on them.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-30-2018, 03:14 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
<snip> And they are calling the package a "complete launch pack" I suppose to clue in folks that there is wadding in the package as well besides the small type at the bottom of the front panel. <snip>
Heh, I didn't even notice the wadding! Guess I should read the packaging... The orange wadding is nice, kind of like the old Quest blue wadding, and a bit larger (5.5" square)
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-30-2018, 03:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
What I really liked about the old C5-3 was the REgressive thrust profile. Quick kick off the pad with a long sustaining lower thrust.
Great for the Mars Lander, Space Shuttle 1284, R2D2, and other high-drag heavy short rockets.
The Quest C should be better than the C6-3 turd, but it is not similar to the C5-3. Thankfully I still have like 15 paks of C5-3'S.

I liked the C5-0 even better for multistage models. Plenty of OOMPH to get a heavy 3 stager going straight up. I still have 3 packs of them and only one C5-3 pack.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

My Quest Q-Jet order of C12 and D16 motors arrived yesterday.

(The D16-8 motor was on backorder. Mine shipped last Friday).

These should be fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Quest Q-Jets 001.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  107.2 KB