Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default New Kit Questions

I run a small laser engraving business and have an industrial (i.e. not a Chinese/eBay) laser. I have enjoyed the rocketry hobby since the early 80's in various forms and thought it would be interesting to produce a few kits. Having said that, I've typically been a 3FNC kind of guy and while I like seeing a lot of the creative projects people post online and fly at my local club, I don't know that I have the design aesthetics to design the next big thing.

To minimize wasted time/effort, I thought I would solicit the opinions of forum members here to see what might be an interesting direction to pursue.

My wife and I designed a novelty kit called the Snowflake, which is just a simple 3FNC rocket whose fins are - you guessed it - shaped like snowflakes. If interested, you can see it here: https://www.rocketjerk.com/shop/snowflake .

We started with something simple to get an understanding of the costs associated with kit production, the issues with production, packing etc. Overall, it turned out OK, but I don't think many people find it that interesting.

A few areas I have identified as being difficult, expensive or time consuming include creating instructions, sourcing decals and sourcing raw materials.

I hope to produce 3 more kits by May and would like to determine what the community thinks is most critical.

Please reply with any thoughts you have, such as "I won't buy a kit that doesn't include decals", "Instructions don't matter, we all know how to build rockets", "I only fly BT-60 or larger rockets" etc. While I won’t be able to address every person's desire, it would be interesting to see what types of preferences builders here are interested in.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sandy.