Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Master Modeler

Default Hawaii

Hawaii

Our country's 50th state.

I have had a love affair with this state since the early 70's, I don't know why.
I was lucky, I knew a young boy and went to school with him, who was born and raised in Hawaii until his early teens. His father was a German, who fought against his native country during WWII and his mother was from Hawaii. Together, they had two children, Tara, and Guy. They were unique looking to what I was use to seeing. Tara, had a bad attitude toward everybody. Pity, she was beautiful. Guy and I had many adventures to the point we both got pneumonia where he ended up in the hospital and I recovered at home. It was weeks before we saw each other. We had a bond. It never lasted. I tried to contact him, but alas he wasn't interested. Drugs was his interest. Too bad.

Anyway, my eldest son called me from Hawaii tonight. I was thrilled. He knows I'm a "Magnum' fan and I watch 'Blue Bloods" because of 'Tom Selleck', I'm a fan. Deal with it!
My favorite son took pic's of hinself standing in front of 'Robbins Nest' today and called me to tell me so. I was thrilled. Sorry, It's an old man wish!
My son is great!

Above his face and to the right of the house is the entrance of "Robin's Nest"
A place I have wanted to visit for most of my life.

What a handsome guy that I don't look like!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20160331_082240.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  568.0 KB  

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 04-01-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My wife and I vacationed in Maui in 2009 and 2010. A friend of hers thru work was doing a ski vacation in Canada over Spring Break, and asked if we might want to house-sit for them. He didn't have to ask twice! We stayed near the edge of the rainforest part of the island, on what was basically a ranch in the hills. Incredible.

We are going back next year with some friends we worked with in California 30 years ago. We vacationed with them last summer and decided to do it every couple of years. This time, we'll stay in Kauai.

We watched Magnum years ago, and watch Blue Bloods too. And also fans of the Jesse Stone movies.

After the incredible cold this Winter, I'm wishing we were doing the Hawaii trip this year.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Hawaii

Our country's 50th state.

I have had a love affair with this state since the early 70's, I don't know why.
I was lucky, I knew a young boy and went to school with him, who was born and raised in Hawaii until his early teens. His father was a German, who fought against his native country during WWII and his mother was from Hawaii. Together, they had two children, Tara, and Guy. They were unique looking to what I was use to seeing. Tara, had a bad attitude toward everybody. Pity, she was beautiful. Guy and I had many adventures to the point we both got pneumonia where he ended up ended hospital and I recovered at home. It was weeks before we saw each other. We had a bond. It never lasted. I tried to contact him, but alas he wasn't interested. Drugs was his interest. Too bad.

Anyway, my eldest son called me from Hawaii tonight. I was thrilled. He knows I'm a "Magnum'
fan and I watch 'Blue Bloods" because of 'Tom Selleck', I'm a fan. Deal with it!
My favorite son took pic's of hinself standing in front of 'Robins Nest' today and called me to tell me so. I was thrilled. Sorry, It's an old man wish!
My son is great!

Above his face and to the right of the house is the entrance of "Robin's Nest"
A place I have wanted to visit for most of my life.

What a handsome guy that I don't look like!

Thank you for sharing that story. I like to read things like this. Your son did you proud , and it was way cool from him to do this for his dad. Sooo good to see! Happy for you.

I'm a big Selleck fan as well...I've tread Parker's Jess Stone books, and have the DVD's, etc. I don't ge tired of watching them. Love "Quigley Down Under," and his other westerns.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Thank you for sharing that story. I like to read things like this. Your son did you proud , and it was way cool from him to do this for his dad. Sooo good to see! Happy for you.

I'm a big Selleck fan as well...I've tread Parker's Jess Stone books, and have the DVD's, etc. I don't ge tired of watching them. Love "Quigley Down Under," and his other westerns.

Thank you for your compliment. That was very nice of you. I enjoy writing and reading stories like this too!

It's funny, I found out about Jesse Stone only a few years ago and still have not watched any of them. They just announced Jesse Stone 10 for this year. We'll see.

I love the remake of the T.V. movie "Monte Walsh", I've watched it many times in the past year. I love westerns.

I did not like "Friends" and did not watch him when I knew he would be on. I did watch the last two "Friends" episodes he was on(2 part story) because of the woman I was dating at the time was into the show.

Thanks for the read.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:38 PM
BAR

I read some interesting stuff online about "Hawaii Five-O" that basically said "Magnum, P.I." was sort of a "spinoff" of Hawaii Five-O. Maybe "spinoff" isn't the best word-- "Magnum" was created to make use of the infrastructure and film people that had been built up in Hawaii during the long run of "Hawaii Five-O"...

Later! OL J R
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Have never had the pleasure of going to Hawaii yet, but my girlfriend has been twice.
Soon....
Big fan of both Magnum P.I., and the original and new Hawaii Five-O

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Master Modeler

I've been a couple of times for work and did all of the touristy stuff (on Oahu) in
my small amount of off time, including flying in a glider off the North Shore and
doing some rock climbing. The glider was exciting and made me wish I knew how
to fly. The rock climbing was fun but the lava rock made it kind of painful.

Last year I went back to run a Spartan Race (linky) held at Kualoa Ranch where
many movies (Jurassic Park et al) and TV shows (Lost et al) were filmed. Had a
great time and am going back to run the races again this year.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-