Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

You can find a few books on our site here: https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecomme.....cfm?cat_id=22
TRA # 1191
http://www.asp-rocketry.com
Old 04-06-2019, 11:38 AM
frustrated aero

Peter Alway graciously allowed scanning and publication (for free!!!) of his Art of Scale Model Rocketry. It is available on the NAR website for all (not just NAR members)
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 PM
Avid Builder

Forgot about this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20190406_140854.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  555.8 KB  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I think Richard Morrow's "Small Sounding Rockets" should be in that library as well.

John,

I agree. Do you know of a source? I think it's back out of print.

Last edited by Gus : 04-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM
7/21/61

[QUOTE=MarkB.

...the book of rocket drawings by Minakov. ...

If anyone knows where I could get one . . . well, there might be a finder's fee involved.

Oh, and Gus probably wants one, too.[/QUOTE]

Mark,

I was extremely lucky to be gifted a set of the physical three volume set by a Russian friend at my very first internats in Serbia 9 years ago. I was subsequently given a CD version of the books (the second CD edition) by Mr. Minakov himself.

Through a very bizarre set of circumstances I actually had the opportunity to sit and chat with Mr. Minakov as we were each waiting to testify in a Bulgarian court 5 years ago. I convinced my English to Bulgarian interpreter and his Russian to Bulgarian interpreter to co-translate for us.

It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I am eternally grateful to those interpreters for accomodating us. It turns out Minakov was really excited that Peter Alway is my friend and we spent most of our time discussing their almost identical difficulties in self-publishing their rocketry books. Minakov had exactly the same problem with his physical books, expensive to produce, then they sit in your basement for years as you slowly try to earn back what you spent.

By the time we talked he had already stopped producing the physical books and had started putting his works on CD. For those who don't know his work, he is the combination G. Harry Stine and Peter Alway of Russia. He was also the world's leading scale judge for international competition. His books detail all one needs to know, both theory and practice, to fly competition rockets, as well as providing truly amazing scale drawings for competitors. Just incredible stuff.

During our talk Vladimir was flabergasted that Peter suffered the same problems. It was just at that point that Pete entered his arrangement with the NAR and I suggested to Mr. Minakov that I would love to talk to them about doing the same for him. Unfortunately that never happened as the Russians did not come to Ukraine and Mr. Minakov's health began to fail.

Since his death two years ago, sales of his CD's, now into a final 3rd edition, have been taken over by the Russian team photographer. Oddly, we just corresponded about 3 weeks ago about trying to get permission from Minakov's family to allow NAR to sell copies of his CD.

I will let you know what I find out.

In the meantime, here is a link to a Russian website with a number of digital copies of Mr. Minakov's drawings. http://www.frms.ru/models/13

Photo below is of Vladimir Minakov examining my daughter's Little Joe 1A model in Slovakia in 2012. A truly remarkable man. May he rest in peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Minakov.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.53 MB  
Old 04-06-2019, 09:14 PM
7/21/61

OK, Now back to the books. Please remember I am trying to put together a reference library of rockets and missiles, both general works and works specific to a particular rocket or series of rockets.

So far I've been concentrating on the general books. Here is what I've ordered so far (let me know what you think):

Title: Rockets and Missiles of World War III
Author: Berman, Robert Paul

Title: Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World's Rockets and Missles
Author: Gunston, Bill

Title: Spacecraft: 100 Iconic Rockets, Shuttles, And Satellites That Put Us In Space
Author: Gorn, Michael H./ De Chiara, Giuseppe (ilt)

Title: The Rockets and Missiles of White Sands Proving Ground: 1945-1958
Author: Gregory P. Kennedy

Title: ICBM : The Making of the Weapon That Changed the World
Author: G. Harry Stine

Title: Rockets and Missiles (Army Library)
Author: Nicholas, John

Title: The Rockets' Red Glare: An Illustrated History of Rocketry Through the Ages
Author: Wernher von Braun; Frederick I. Ordway III

Title: Missiles and Rockets (The Pocket Encyclopaedia of Spaceflight in Colour)
Author: Kenneth Gatland

Title: NASA Sounding Rockets, 1958-1968: A Historical Summary
Author: National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Title: Rocket Power and Space Flight
Author: G. Harry Stine
Old 04-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Craftsman

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 04-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

Stay focused, Gus is looking for books. The stuff Jerry is talking about is now available on the Internet and Thiokol is now part of Northrup Grumman.

So for a unicorn of books, try to find the book of rocket drawings by Minakov. Soviet and Russian space launchers and sounding rockets and American sounding rockets, too, with metric dimensions. I've never seen one, but I am reliably informed that it exists. Individual Minakov drawings are in lots of places but I'd love to have that book.

If anyone knows where I could get one . . . well, there might be a finder's fee involved.

Oh, and Gus probably wants one, too.

Mark,

I can give you access to many of Minakov's drawings . . . Shoot me an email !

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave F.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1

Bruce,

Thanks so much! I couldn't find the link when I posted last night. That is the online version of Minakov's last physical books, 1st edition of the CD. Turns out he subsequently produced more drawings which were included in the later editions. Nice thing about the online version is you can Google Translate it and read his incredibly in-depth explanations of various topics. We spent a fair amount of time going over his piston descriptions.

Steve
Old 04-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Master Blaster

The most comprehensive book I have on this subject is: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Space Technology By Kenneth Gatland 1981 Harmony Books - New York.
Every Major Space Launch Vehicle listed per County with Spec's. 3 fold -outs with illustrations of rockets for comparison and showing system components, a real good source info.