Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Saturn 1b rebuild

While I'm waiting for various solvents to dry on the R-7 project . . .

Here's the Centuri Saturn 1b rebuild:

Picture 1 shows what I got on eBay: a fairly badly damaged Centuri Saturn Ib for $25 bucks + $8 shipping. What did I get? The 24" and 16" Centuri parachutes are still rolled up inside and in good condition. The LM cover and service module are caved in and need replacing. Two thrusters are missing as is the LES. The BT-80 S-IVb is in good shape and complete but is badly yellowed.

On the lower stage, one of the tubes is dented, one has rodent gnawings and of course, it's missing six fins and the lower launch lug. The lower plastic wrap is missing chunks here and there because of tramatic removal of the six fins. Interally, the tube which transfers the gasses from the cluster to the parachute section is badly damaged and unwound and will need replacing. On of the antenna panels is missing.

Picture 2 shows initial disassembly. Gentle rocking popped the BT-80 second stage section off cleanly revealing the damaged core tube. I was able to pry the capsule off the already damaged service module.

Picture 3 shows disassembly complete and rebuild beginning. I carefully peeled the crushed paper transition and used it as a pattern to cut a new one. I've cut off the damage core tube. The white Antenna panel replacement in the middle is scratch build using some left-over sheet plastic. The BT-58 service module tube was internally damaged and will need replacing before I put on the shroud. I've already got replacement tubing and couplers coming from Semroc . . . .

So what's left? Six fins, an LES and decals. I'm going to contact Estes about an LES from the new Saturn V. I'm going to email Sandman about some 1/100 Saturn 1b decals. And I have no earthly idea what I'm going to do about the fins .

I spent about six bucks at Semroc plus maybe a dollar for spares so far. I'm way ahead of the cost curve for a New-In-Box purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  saturn1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  150.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  saturn2.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  134.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  saturn3.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  175.8 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Estes has already stated that they are not supporting capsule spares for the Saturn V kits.
No LES will be available.
Best choice would probably be the One-Piece "Moldin Oldies" 1/100 Apollo Capsule/LES/tower spike.

Good luck with the project, but I still think one would be better off using that thing as kindling for a fire.

It will be a big-time pain refinishing it to look decent when all assembled as well.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Craftsman

Default Saturn 1b rebuild

Yours looks worst than mine. It is one I picked up from a rocketeer leaving the hobby. I have similar damage to the upper shroud. Have missing fins. Tower and rcs nossles missing on CMS. Also the model was seperated and stuffer tube was ripped apart. Various dings and dents on tubes. I've attached photo of my Centuri Saturn 1B that needs work.

It's a winter restore project. My thoughts on some stuff is decals from Sandman including the CMS decals in 1/100 scale. He has some nice ones for 1/70 scale. Casting the fins in resin. Readjusting the cp/cg as necessary. Mark Bundrick did a article on restoring a Saturn 1B in his club's newslwetter quite a while back and had some good tips. I will see if I can get a reference on that and post.

I look forward to you progess and postings. Please, plenty of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00032.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  59.3 KB  
Old 11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Good luck with the project, but I still think one would be better off using that thing as kindling for a fire.

It will be a big-time pain refinishing it to look decent when all assembled as well.

There is one good thing about rebuilding one rather than a pricy MIB - they will likely be flown rather than just put up on a shelf to collect dust.

Bill
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
There is one good thing about rebuilding one rather than a pricy MIB - they will likely be flown rather than just put up on a shelf to collect dust.

Bill

The other thing is that it gives some peope, me included, personal satisfaction, being able to rebuild something. It's another aspect of the hobby that some people really enjoy.

That's why I really like rocketry, there's something for everyone.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Old Submariner

This thread is SO interesting! I guess Moldin Oldies may be the only way to get a resin CM and LES in 1/100 scale. I'll check my stuff and my SV kits and see if by some miracle I have a spare CM and LES. If I do, you're welcome to it.

Of course, there's also scratch-building................

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Yours looks worst than mine. It is one I picked up from a rocketeer leaving the hobby. I have similar damage to the upper shroud. Have missing fins. Tower and rcs nossles missing on CMS. Also the model was seperated and stuffer tube was ripped apart. Various dings and dents on tubes. I've attached photo of my Centuri Saturn 1B that needs work.

It's a winter restore project. My thoughts on some stuff is decals from Sandman including the CMS decals in 1/100 scale. He has some nice ones for 1/70 scale. Casting the fins in resin. Readjusting the cp/cg as necessary. Mark Bundrick did a article on restoring a Saturn 1B in his club's newslwetter quite a while back and had some good tips. I will see if I can get a reference on that and post.

I look forward to you progess and postings. Please, plenty of photos.

I'm assuming your's is 1/70 scale. I have several spare fin "skins" if you need some.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I'm assuming your's is 1/70 scale. I have several spare fin "skins" if you need some.

I thought it was 1/100th scale.

BTW, I have both the 1/100th and 1/70th scale decals up on my site now.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Old Submariner

Oh, I got confused. I thought the picture of Questor's was of a different one AND in 1/70 scale.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Craftsman

The Centuri Saturn 1B was 1/100th scale. The picture I posted is of a Centuri Saturn 1B. Sandman had decals for 1/70 scale the last time I checked. I did not see 1/100 scale decals. I was going to special order the 1/100 scale, but Sandman has now posted he has that scale available. Thanks Sandman.

Back in the pre-mid nineties Estes also had 1/100th scale Saturn 1B and V. I think Apogee was the first with an 1/70th scale kit.