Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I've left messages in the OldRockets and ContestRoc yahoogroups, and told them to check in here, so I'm sure the ones that want to get in touch will trickle in eventually.

I know I will; glad I brought the name up in my previous post. I still want to take a look at
building a few Ground Hogs and giving them a try here in the Houston area, where we usually
have three NAR Sanctioned Regional meets yearly.

Also, Jon Robbins would make for an interesting article for the LAUNCH & Sport Rocketry
magazines...

Jon Robbins Jr., welcome to the Ye Old Rocketry Forum. I know we're sure glad to hear from
you and know your dad is still very much in our thoughts.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Well Dad and I had a good talk last night about all of this stuff and even got a few of my questions answered..

He believes he has a copy of that magazine somewhere but living on a boat now sorta has its limitations on storage space..

Asked him why it as #16 on the one on the cover and he stated that this was just a way he used it to differentiate the different models he had back then. He said he made one that had a 7-8 foot wingspan back then and I cannot remember if it flew or how it did. I do remember him making one that was red in color and the wings were built somewhat like todays airplane wings are with all the sub structure in it and that was the one that was covered up with some red plastic paper. Well I believe it was..

As to what happened and were we went.. Welp.. We left from the Ohio area I think just after the NARAM-13 in Aberdeen, MD event and we went from there to Chicago, then to South Dakota and finally we ended up in Southern California where I still call home.

Talked to dad about the LA Rocket group and he said he would love to stop by and see how things have changed so who is ever in charge of that group get a hold of him As far as the article... he stated something about a reprint of the old one and was somewhat warming up to the idea of doing a new story so you may have to work on him to have him do a new story

OH!! Does anyone remember the VW Van we had back then?? You should if you remember the hood of the vehicle

As for me and my two brothers??? Well I am in the computer field, Sean works as a tool and die operator, and Mike drives semi's for a living. When we left the Aberdeen MD event I am pretty sure that my parents split up and went their own separate ways. Also I think when we got to California dad stopped building model rockets and stuff.

Welp... Thats the skinny as to what happened and thanks for being so cool to one of his rug rats..

OH!!! IF ANYONE has a pic from the old days of my father and us rugrats... please scan it and either post it or e-mail it to me at malimn32@yahoo.com so I can send em to my dad and brothers
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Robbins Jr
Well Dad and I had a good talk last night about all of this stuff and even got a few of my questions answered..

He believes he has a copy of that magazine somewhere but living on a boat now sorta has its limitations on storage space.. OH!!! IF ANYONE has a pic from the old days of my father and us rugrats... please scan it and either post it or e-mail it to me at malimn32@yahoo.com so I can send em to my dad and brothers

Jon, the location of the magazine online is: (careful, it's about 50 megabytes!)

http://shrinkster.com/lhw

or

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...03n11_09-71.pdf

(edit: Ah! hadn't realized that the forum software was shortening links!)

It actually seems to be a Jon Robbins-themed issue, as there's a Letter-To-The-Editor about him, and coverage of a couple of events that he was at.

Of course, your dad might want to peruse the whole Ninfinger rocketry site

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html

as far as pictures go, I know I have a slide or two of you guys somewhere (I knew it would probably be my only trip to a national event for a long time, so I tried to take pictures or video of all the rocket celebrities of the time). The slides, unfortunately are somewhere at my mom's house, and I will probably have to deal with some mildewing before I scan them. The film, though, I transferred to tape and then DVD a few years back, so I should be able to find that quickly. There's probably only a few seconds worth, but maybe enough to jog memories.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Cool... Thanks and do not go through any major headache trying to find stuff on us, I was just hoping that someone had something they could easily get to of us back then..

Also yes I did find the magazine thanks to another post on here on the website and I have printed it out... Impressive that my skinny ole man, well skinny at that time, was on the cover, had a lot of info about him and the events, as well as mentioned that my brother and I had to help carry the trophies back home with him

I looked at the cover and minus the glasses, long side burns, dark black hair, and the hippy teeshirt, I look a lot like my dad back then... UGGG I AM UGLY!!! hehehehehe..
Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Master Modeler

Got an e-mail from Jon Robbins himself. Wow, this is really very exciting!! Will fill you guys
in later when I get home this evening (work).
Old 01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Hopefully we have another BAR in the making!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Hopefully we have another BAR in the making!

Could be possible. As mentioned in my previous post, I got an e-mail from Jon himself.
I've replied and told him I hope he'll join us in this forum. It'll be great to refresh our
trip down memory lane of the good old days of model rocketry and the NAR! Well, we'll
see what happens, but I have the feeling the rocketry fire may have lit up in Jon over
the past few days...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Could be possible. As mentioned in my previous post, I got an e-mail from Jon himself.
I've replied and told him I hope he'll join us in this forum. It'll be great to refresh our
trip down memory lane of the good old days of model rocketry and the NAR! Well, we'll
see what happens, but I have the feeling the rocketry fire may have lit up in Jon over
the past few days...

Maybe he just had chili for lunch.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Maybe he just had chili for lunch.

Que up the old Kiss song, "Firehouse".
Old 01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Ok.. you all are using odd terminology to me.. RG I am guessing is Rocket Glider.. what are the rest????

Thanks,

Jon Jr