Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2017, 06:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Photobucket Now Officially Sucks

I've used Photobucket since this forum was created. Now they've gone and decided to change their TOS without informing me and nearly all the images I've posted here over the years are locked out. They want $500 annually to release the links. Screw 'em.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Awesome. I was considering trying them out, too.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Awesome. I was considering trying them out, too.

It's too bad. It has the easiest format to deal with just like a MS Windows file system, where you can make folders, subfolders, etc. but they call them albums. Everything is where you want it or can be easily moved in bulk. But no...they go and give us a good power prang right in the backside without so much as a warning.

I haven't found anything else that's so simple and easy to navigate. I'm fiddling with flickr...hate it. Google Photos...hate it. Imagur...hate it. Google Drive as a pic host...hate it. Most of them make you put photos in a public folder before you can share, which means somebody can take the link and work their way into other images stored in the folder.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I've only used a Photobucket to host pictures, so this change does suck. I like the feature where you can easily copy a thumbnail link. Especially nice for forums like this that have a file size limit that forces me to crop pictures to reduce file size before inserting them.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I've used Photobucket since this forum was created. Now they've gone and decided to change their TOS without informing me and nearly all the images I've posted here over the years are locked out. They want $500 annually to release the links. Screw 'em.
I'm not a lawyer, but copyright issues might work in your favor. For example:

I wouldn't be surprised if a few Photobucket members have used their accounts to store (perhaps as backups) photographs, diagrams, scans (even text scans), and other illustrations that they took and/or created to use in books that they were/are working on (you could conceivably be doing the same thing--say, to create illustrated "annuals" of NARAMs, NSLs, and so forth). Now:

Suppose that the primary storage system of one of these authors is lost, stolen, or destroyed, leaving the images in his or her Photobucket account as the only extant copies that s/he can use to create the books or other works. Because that person created the images (unless they were uploaded copies from public domain sources), s/he should have the copyrights to them, and Photobucket would be "holding them hostage," so to speak. This might make an interesting class action lawsuit, involving all Photobucket members, but:

If other people who are *not* Photobucket members contacted them and told them that they would not now join it because of the new Terms Of Service (and referenced your case here), that might persuade them to change their minds about the new TOS. I'll gladly do it, and I'll also tell them that I'll recommend against anyone else using Photobucket, too--if a lot of YORF members did the same, we might be able to change their policy.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I'm not a lawyer, but copyright issues might work in your favor. For example:

I wouldn't be surprised if a few Photobucket members have used their accounts to store (perhaps as backups) photographs, diagrams, scans (even text scans), and other illustrations that they took and/or created to use in books that they were/are working on (you could conceivably be doing the same thing--say, to create illustrated "annuals" of NARAMs, NSLs, and so forth). Now:

They haven't prevented my access to them, just the rest of the world. They intercepted the links and now almost every pic I've posted on a forum shows an upgrade image. If you go to their site, they demand $499 to unlock the links so that photos already on forums and websites (the whole reason I used photobucket) so the links will become viable again. So far, the pics I've posted as thumbnails still work, but it's probably only a matter of time before they axe that too.

As for changing policy. In the last year or two, they've gone from a very nice photo hosting site to an ad infested, pop-up bloated horrible website. I doubt they will change anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenshot from 2017-06-30 08-54-46.png
Views: 11
Size:  164.0 KB  
Old 06-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

Testing Imgbox 1...2...3...3 1/2...3 7/8

Old 06-30-2017, 11:02 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Photobukket always has sucked, as do most "3rd party" storage services.
Simple solution- DON'T USE THEM and store images where they BELONG; on YOUR OWN HARDWARE !!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Photobukket always has sucked, as do most "3rd party" storage services.
Simple solution- DON'T USE THEM and store images where they BELONG; on YOUR OWN HARDWARE !!!!

DUH, genius!!!!

I do store them on my own redundant hardware. I use(d) Photobucket for forum online hotlinking. I hate the max file size, limited file types, etc. of attached photos on forums. Hotlinking from a host site is better, and was super easy with PB. The thumbnail feature was especially cool for multiple pics of builds, launch reports, etc. I don't want to fool with a home server, especially with ISP limiting upstream bandwidths to nearly nothing.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
They haven't prevented my access to them, just the rest of the world. They intercepted the links and now almost every pic I've posted on a forum shows an upgrade image. If you go to their site, they demand $499 to unlock the links so that photos already on forums and websites (the whole reason I used photobucket) so the links will become viable again. So far, the pics I've posted as thumbnails still work, but it's probably only a matter of time before they axe that too.
Ah--that "little" change, though, makes their service much less useful (and I'm sure you're far from being the only member who uses them--or did use them, now--to host "click-able" thumbnail images...).
Quote:
As for changing policy. In the last year or two, they've gone from a very nice photo hosting site to an ad infested, pop-up bloated horrible website. I doubt they will change anything.
I'd rather pay a small monthly fee to avoid being subjected to all of that. I had been considering using them, but they've helped me decide--with your help--(your Mars Lander picture is visible below, though; it looks like Mike Hellmund himself might have built it!) not to.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR