Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 AM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Default Parachute Storage and other odds'n'ends

Gang,
I happened upon a post that advocated that the recovery device not be packed during storage of the model, and have seen similar sentiments in publication. The snap-swivel seems to be the preferred method of joining the recovery system with the rocket at prep. I understand the impetus behind this movement, but when I was a kid (pre-BAR), I wanted to see flight, not smooth tubes and safe recovery. Now that I'm born-again, I appreciate more the finer points. However, what eludes me:
How do you, who disconnect the recovery system from the rocket transport, organize and store said recovery systems between flights? I'm pretty AR, so I'm envisioning a system of color-coded folders for storage(based on diameter) and custom decals applied to the rocket for reunion (that show not only recommended engines but parachute sizes as well). If you can't tell, I think I may be my own worst enemy, and tend to complicate matters beyond what is reasonable.
Related, I hate losing rockets, so some of my freshly built "D" motor vehicles are awaiting recovery methods. I can launch in the desert, but it's not barren- lots of scrub and cacti. I would love to recover my birds, so for the high-flyers (on BP), I prefer streamers to counteract the potential for drift. From my early days, Estes always included a section of Flagger's tape (1"x?). This is cheap and easy to find, but research I've seen lately indicates that the optimal length-to-width ratio is 10:1. This means my cheapo flaggers tape is only maximally effective to a length of 10". I need a controlled yet not drifting decent for craft larger than the Estes Lazer (what's with the "z" in the name, anyway?) or Ninja. What cheap and readily available alternatives for streamers are there? I have access to tape similar to "Crime Scene" tape- it's about 3" wide, which to my mind would work best to 30" long (per the previously mentioned equations about optimum effectiveness). The craft I'd like to outfit, the Sky Bolt, claims a streamer on the old hang-card of 90". This obviously isn't 9" wide...so again, too much thought? For the next step, I'd like to streamerize my newly recreated Sea Strike "D" (also boasting a 90" streamer). On the smaller tube size, I've always wanted an Estes Hercules two-stager- I've now got one, and would like to ensure I can fly more than once.

Thanks again to all!!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Craftsman

Default Parachute Storage and Odds n' ends

Hi, I've used "snap swivals" for years for easy disco/connect of chutes and streamers. You can store separately from rocket if u prefer. As far as streamers go, cheapest is a roll of "crate paper" streamer found in party stores and used multiple w/streamers. Another is a "space blanket" cut down to the size u need. It's about 6'x8', so makes plenty of streamers. You'll have to experiment with size and # of streamers needed. Unfortunately, there is no "formula" for the size of streamer vs. weight of rocket. Best idea I can come up with is the drop or hand throw technique. Find a weight the same as your rocket. Roll up the streamer and throw in the air or drop from a deck or other structure. Not a true test as to the sturdiness of rocket though. You could also sacrafice a small sl 1 rocket w/added weight to equal wt of rocket in question. Like I said, wish there was a formula: Ex: for every ounce of wt= 4x20" of streamer needed. These r random #'s not a true formula**** Good Luck! Glenn NAR 89197
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Old BAR

"crepe paper"
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
"crepe paper"

You know the wrinckly paper strips for partys.

The best absolutely that I've fount is from Hobby Lobby on clearance right after the 4th of July.

Red, white and blue and usualy less that $0.10 a roll. I think I have about 10 rolls.

Very patriotic too!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Craftsman

Default Parachute Odd's n ends

Crate, Crepe, u know what I mean.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Apogee sells a mylar type streamer that has worked well. He sells it in 2 different width's.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Craftsman

I haven't had any problems with keeping the parachutes in the rockets all the time. As long as you open them up and repack them before flight, it should be fine.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 PM
BAR 13790

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopirV
Gang,
How do you, who disconnect the recovery system from the rocket transport, organize and store said recovery systems between flights?

I keep a log of my flights, and it includes a list of my rockets and what size chute it came with (or if it uses streamer recover). I will adjust the size based on the field and wind conditions.

I carry 3 or 4 of the 12" , about 3 of the 18", and 1 of the 24". I reuse the same chutes over and over again. Once one gets in too bad a shape (lines shred, chute melts, etc.) I'll pull another chute from the stash in my drawer, build it, and add it to my range box.

As you may guess, I have a ton of unbuilt chutes sitting in that drawer.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
MAD programmer - well mad anyway

I use a little baby powder on my chute and store them in the rocket. I pull them out and add little more just before packing them before launch. Keeps the chute nice and supple. Works great and give a satisfying puff of white smoke at ejection. Any baby powder will do and cost only about $1.50 for a large bottle that will last years!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmtn
Unfortunately, there is no "formula" for the size of streamer vs. weight of rocket.
Here you go. Streamer calculator from EMRR.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bi...ox.cgi?streamer
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member