Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Old Submariner

Yes, I've had success with that. I did the CA soak thing with cardstock fort the tapers and nozzle of this BMS Mars Snooper.

It's easy to do. Just one word of advice: DON'T use accelerator. It will roughen the finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1008.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  41.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1009.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  39.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1010.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  36.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1011.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  73.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1074.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  54.4 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
frustrated aero

yes, CA coated paper shrouds end up like plastic...the shroud on my Hawk was treated in such a manner, and you saw how it bounced off the ground when it landed with no damage.

Wear protective gloves and use plenty of ventilation!!!! CA fumes are killer on your eyes...like tear gas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_4937MR.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  86.1 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 AM
It's all nuts & bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Yes, I've had success with that. I did the CA soak thing with cardstock fort the tapers and nozzle of this BMS Mars Snooper.

It's easy to do. Just one word of advice: DON'T use accelerator. It will roughen the finish.

Wow that is a real work of art. I like how the launch lug goes through the transitions.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 AM
It's all nuts & bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
yes, CA coated paper shrouds end up like plastic...the shroud on my Hawk was treated in such a manner, and you saw how it bounced off the ground when it landed with no damage.

Wear protective gloves and use plenty of ventilation!!!! CA fumes are killer on your eyes...like tear gas

Thanks Rocket guy, I'll have to do it outside. Right now I am waiting on parts from Estes. Free shipping! Gotta love it
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubamech
Wow that is a real work of art. I like how the launch lug goes through the transitions.

Thanks. The colorful language I used when having to do it a second time on the same rocket was a real work of art too.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Thanks. The colorful language I used when having to do it a second time on the same rocket was a real work of art too.

quotes from "A Christmas Story"

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master.

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] I have since heard of people under extreme duress speaking in strange tongues. I became conscious that a steady torrent of obscenities and swearing of all kinds was pouring out of me as I screamed.
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
It's all nuts & bolts

Default Estes engine mount

The engine mount is estes. I moved the rings around a little to get the fit I want. Note, this is just a mock up. Nothing is glued. I need thicker paper stock, as this is just computer printer paper. I think it's gonna look great! The D engine should really put it up there too. The fins have an epoxy fillet. I think that should help. Should I add extra weight? When I get an engine, I'll check the balance point. Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  100_6190.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  46.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_6189.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  55.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_6184.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  60.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_6183.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  63.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_6187.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  59.5 KB  

Last edited by bubamech : 12-16-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Should I add extra weight? When I get an engine, I'll check the balance point. Thanks for all the help.

Probably. The kit uses a ton of nose weight to make it stable with an 18mm motor. I have a feeling it will be unstable or marginally stable at best with a D12 stuffed in it.

If you use lead shot, it will be more dense and can be packed slightly more forward than clay, allowing for slightly less total weight than clay. However, the difference won't be all that significant.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
The engine mount is estes. I moved the rings around a little to get the fit I want. Note, this is just a mock up. Nothing is glued. I need thicker paper stock, as this is just computer printer paper. I think it's gonna look great! The D engine should really put it up there too. The fins have an epoxy fillet. I think that should help. Should I add extra weight? When I get an engine, I'll check the balance point. Thanks for all the help.

Alec, download a copy of Open Rocket (http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/) it is free. You can check the stability of your models pretty quickly.

EDIT: OR will open Rocksim files (.rkt) I found some Bullpup sim files on EMRR http://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim-4341.html one of them is listed as a 24mm mod, which is what you are building. They show 1 oz of nose weight, and with a D12 motor, 1.09 caliber of stability (minimum you want is 1.0 caliber)
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 AM
It's all nuts & bolts

Default Ready for paint

Weekends are the only time I have to work on my rockets. I glued up the engine mount, but added gauze and epoxy between the centering rings. The business end of this "puppy" is solid. I cut the radius from a thick stock paper and glued the tabs together with rubber cement. After measuring where everything slides into place, I used white glue in a bendee straw to place inside the body tube a nice amount. I slid the engine mount 1/3 of the way in and put more white glue right inside the end of the body tube. The engine mount was pushed up into place and the transition was glued on with thick CA glue. I used two coats of thin CA glue to harden the paper transition. A notch was cut out to allow room for the engine hook to move up and down. I used automotive spot putty to fill in any cracks or low spots. After that, A few coats of primer and wet sanded with 1000 grit. Next it is off to the auto parts store for some good quality spray paint. I have 1/2 a can of GM arctic white, and that's probably the color I'll use. I want to thank you guys for all the help. Also Apogee Rockets were very helpful with their you tube videos in how to make a paper transition.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  100_6223.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  502.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_6225.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  661.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_6228.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  605.7 KB