Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Paper Rocketeer

I liked the Bigfoot launcher - those four D cells provided quite a bit of punch.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
I liked the Bigfoot launcher - those four D cells provided quite a bit of punch.
The old Electro-Launch had those, too, with an option for 8 - ie, 12V instead of 6. The problem with those is that you pretty much needed new batteries every time you used it. The old ones would always be dead, or so it seemed.

The other problem we found was that, prior to Solar ignitors, 6V was not very reliable, unless you had the recommended "photo flash" batteries. But with only 4 ordinary D-cells, the old "Astron" ignitors were pretty lame. Bare nichrome wire worked better, so well in fact that we started using that exclusively back in the day (early 70's).

Our standard setup back then was the Electro-Launch pad modified to work off a 12V car battery (via the car battery kit available from Estes). That combined with the bare nichrome was very reliable. FWIW.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Quote:
I read that thread... rather vague...

"Hey look at these cool new motors we've been testing... (standard pic of motor in a static test stand)

I can't tell you what they are, what they're for, or who makes them... can't even tell you if they were submitted for certification... just that they're cool... "

Ummm... Okay...

We had a word for girls who acted like that in the old days... TEASE!!! Same sort of thing for guys with "locker room talk" about their latest conquests, most of which was BS...

I'll believe it when I see it... the rest is just fluff...

GH is right about the "me too" mfg and their repeated pronouncements of "coming soon" neat stuff that turned out to be vaporware...

I'll believe it when I see it...

Later! OL JR

You should heed his last statement on that thread #80.
For those who don't know Bill Spad personally, PM him. He may tell you more more privately.
NAR #92766
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That 9v controller is worse than the 4xAA thing.
They need to re-issue their last REAL controller, the ASTRON controller that used a 6 or 12v REAL sized lead-acid battery that delivered real current. With my Astron controller I can reliably light 4x18mm clusters using BARE nichrome for igniters !!!
Yeah, it's NOT idiot proof. Who ever said rocketry should involve those mechanically or intellectually deficient ?

Agree with you there... Estes is wandering back into high MPR/low HPR territory and all they have are the dinky bell wire and penlight/pocket radio batteries controllers??

Rather disappointing IMHO...

Later! OL JR
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Old BAR

Estes is already getting their mid-power motors from Aerotech; why don't they team up with them to make an Estes version of AT's own launch controller? I love mine.
It's heavy duty, uses twelve volts or six, has heavy-duty lamp wire, has a safety interlock and a tone...what's not to like?

Allen
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Agreed. Estes should sell a re-labeled AT controller. At Hobby Lobby would be good with a 40-50% off coupon !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Okay - LOVE the Astron Sprint XL (even though I already built one), and I'm happy to see the altimeter. And I think my daughters will get a kick out of the crayons.

I would love to see a return of the normal-sized Astron Sprint, and Porta-Pad (I had a porta-pad II for a decade until someone borrowed it - very nice and solid!), and Big Foot. I'm not a fan of the current launch-pads, they seem a little marginal.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
I would love to see a return of [the] Porta-Pad (I had a porta-pad II for a decade until someone borrowed it - very nice and solid!), and Big Foot. I'm not a fan of the current launch-pads, they seem a little marginal.
I don't know that I've ever seen a stock Estes pad that I really liked. But I think they all do nicely for their main purpose of being a cheap pad for starter sets.

I've built a pad that serves my needs well - it's sturdy. And tall, so I don't have to bend over It's been described as "an old man's pad"

Anyway, I've always felt the controllers and pads - all used in starter sets - were kinda flimsy. So I built my own pad to my liking. But, despite my thoughts otherwise, I use a mix of several different Estes and Quest controllers. After extending the wires a bit, and adding connections for external batteries, they do the job well enough that I've never gotten around to getting something fancier or more robust.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Yeah - after my Porta-Pad II vanished, I tried the new pad with the lightning legs and really did not like it. So, I talked my father-in-law into building me a Tilt-a-pad in his wood shop

Been pretty happy with it so far.

My controller is an Estes "E" controller with an LED continuity lamp and an adapter for lantern batteries.