Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Default Enerjet Collectors question

In my collection I have most of the various "model rocket" Enerjet E and F engines.
Am wondering if there are any collectors out there that have examples of the various "professional" level Enerjet engines in their collections of engines.
That line started with the 29mm Enerjet 30 "G" and went up to the Enerjet 200 "J".
Would be really interested to hear from anyone with these motors in their collection and any pictures they would be willing to share.

About 25 years ago I got to see what I recall was an Enerjet 30, but remember nothing about what it looked like.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
In my collection I have most of the various "model rocket" Enerjet E and F engines.
Am wondering if there are any collectors out there that have examples of the various "professional" level Enerjet engines in their collections of engines.
That line started with the 29mm Enerjet 30 "G" and went up to the Enerjet 200 "J".

Would be really interested to hear from anyone with these motors in their collection and any pictures they would be willing to share.

About 25 years ago I got to see what I recall was an Enerjet 30, but remember nothing about what it looked like.

I have to admit that I'd be curious to see examples of these myself.

I have a number of old Vulcan high power motors from my earlier high power days in the late 80s and early 90s....G80s and such up through several I160s and a couple J250 Hellfire motors, and a sprinkling of Aerotech single-use stuff, but I have only one Enerjet composite motor and that was not obtained until this past February or so from a former manager of Centuri's motor plant.

This Enerjet motor is an 'unlabeled' F67, which he was able to send down to Augusta, GA (where I am) by way of one of his friends who was visiting family here in the area at the time. I only met this fellow from an eBay sale of an original 'red' #13 plastic fin unit (like used on the Enerjet 1340 series of 'professional' rocket kits). Recognizing the somewhat more 'rare' red color of the fin unit, I asked the seller of the fin unit (which I eventually won in the auction) where he/they got it, and he told me his Centuri background. Days later he sends an email saying he has a friend that will be visiting the Augusta area and that this person will be bringing with him this unlabeled Enerjet motor to give to me....for FREE!

But yes, I too would LOVE to see some examples of the Enerjet 'professional' line of motors. THOSE would really be the forerunners of high power (H and above) as we know it today.

Jerry I., you readin' this thread??

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

I've just got an F67 and a couple of F52 motors. Other than the photo in the old RDC catalog, I never saw any professional Enerjets.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have to admit that I'd be curious to see examples of these myself.

I have a number of old Vulcan high power motors from my earlier high power days in the late 80s and early 90s....G80s and such up through several I160s and a couple J250 Hellfire motors, and a sprinkling of Aerotech single-use stuff, but I have only one Enerjet composite motor and that was not obtained until this past February or so from a former manager of Centuri's motor plant.

This Enerjet motor is an 'unlabeled' F67, which he was able to send down to Augusta, GA (where I am) by way of one of his friends who was visiting family here in the area at the time. I only met this fellow from an eBay sale of an original 'red' #13 plastic fin unit (like used on the Enerjet 1340 series of 'professional' rocket kits). Recognizing the somewhat more 'rare' red color of the fin unit, I asked the seller of the fin unit (which I eventually won in the auction) where he/they got it, and he told me his Centuri background. Days later he sends an email saying he has a friend that will be visiting the Augusta area and that this person will be bringing with him this unlabeled Enerjet motor to give to me....for FREE!

But yes, I too would LOVE to see some examples of the Enerjet 'professional' line of motors. THOSE would really be the forerunners of high power (H and above) as we know it today.

Jerry I., you readin' this thread??

Earl

I have been doing some digging lately for motor artifacts. I uploaded some images of CD motors for someone to put on their site.

I expect to find a stash of Enerjet G76 motor cases soon. I will post a photo of course, but better than that, I have so many I would cheerfully part with one for the right "motivated" person.

You are not going to find Enerjet H or I motors. There were some prototypes and Gary Rosenfield got the best of those parts from Lee and Larry. Enerjet did make quite a few E24, F52, F67, and G76 motors.

I was driven to AZ to pick up F67's and G76's as at that time they were only shipping up to F52 to CA. I could never actually buy bigger motors. But I did get a 2250, 2650, and red fin 1340 from Lee himself. I could kick myself for not taking more photos of those. Tom Kolis has the best photos to go through to find the gems. Maybe some day he will have them scanned to CD's so I can go through them right. My mom did that with our family slides and it was cheap for the sheer number we had.

The earliest bigger motors were Composite Dynamics (#1-Hoffman) [G-I], Internal Ballistics Co (Johnson-Irvine)[1/8A-N], Composite Distribution (Irvine)[E-N], and later SSRS (Crown-Mayhle)[E-H], Vulcan (Dixon)[F-L], Plasmajet (Sobczak-Krell)[F-J], and CD#2 (Davis)[C-H].

I made my first full delay and ejection motor in 1972, a 29mm E20. Had I only known I could simply get it certified . . . .

Aerotech (Rosenfield) was after all that. 1980.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 10-15-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

So did the motors they mentioned in their literature above the Enerjet 30 (G76) up to and including the Enerjet 200 never exist for the "professional" market ?

Does anyone still have intact, unfired Enerjet G76 motors ?
Would like to see one of those if so.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
So did the motors they mentioned in their literature above the Enerjet 30 (G76) up to and including the Enerjet 200 never exist for the "professional" market ?

Does anyone still have intact, unfired Enerjet G76 motors ?
Would like to see one of those if so.

As far as I know, no they were not made. I do not know of any unfired G76 motors. I have suffered from a thing called launch fever from 1966-2020. I blame Vern, Lee, and Lonnie for it.

I flew rockets 4 days last week alone. I went to our test site where a 4.5k liquid was fired 5 times but since it did not "launch" it hardly counts, does it?

Jerry