Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default B6 vs. B14 motor

There have been past threads on YORF discussing the B14 motor.
While there is little if any likelihood of this motor ever being put back into production it's performance has many an 'olde-tyme' rocketeer becoming misty-eyed when remembering the performance of the B14.

I had the opportunity at NARAM-58 this past July to perform an un-scientific experiment comparing the B14 motor with a current production B6 motor. A rocketeer was selling off a quite substantial collection of 'old' rocket motors at NARAM and I made arrangements to pick up all the B14 motors he was selling.

Most of the packs were B14-0 motors but there was a package of Centuri B14-5 motors dated '3-26-73'.

I had brought with me an Estes RTF SkyTrax model. This rocket had a clear payload section into which I placed a current model Jolly Logic Altimeter Two. I would fly the model first with a current Estes B6-4 motor and then a second flight with the Centuri B14-5 motor. The only changes to the SkyTrax model was drilling holes in the payload section so the Altimeter Two could sample the atmosphere and a screw to retain the nose cone on the payload section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes SkyTrax with JL2 Altimeter.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  60.4 KB