Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Level 2 Cert

Suggestions for a level 2 cert rocket?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Out to launch...

The options and variations are nearly endless, what's your preference? It's my opinion that a person moving towards L2 should have a plan or at the very least an idea of what they want to do. What did you fly for L1 certification?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFPark_Rocketry
Suggestions for a level 2 cert rocket?
What are your priorities for the project? Chad is right, there are many, many options. L2 spans a huge spectrum. Most folks will do a simple, 3FNC, nose-blow, motor-ejection setup on their L1. And with an L3, you have a large rocket with redundant electronics and very often complex deployment - ie, dual events. And your L2 can be anywhere in the huge gap between.

You can do a 4" rocket with motor ejection, or you can do a very sophisticated, complex bird. You can even slap a J motor in a 2" rocket, but you better have great eyes!

For me, I wanted it draggy to keep it low and slow. And I wanted it to have some character. The design turned out a little less pretty than I had hoped, but that comes with creativity - sometimes you get ugly Anyway, I had electronics on board to put out the laundry at the top (no DD) and motor backup, as I recall. So I was somewhere in between a 3FNC and an all-out baby L3.

The lower section was over 5" in diameter. This not only helped make it draggy, it also made it very stable which allowed me to keep the fins small to avoid any disqualifying breakage. The rocket had rail buttons, and I used an RRC2 altimeter.

I know that's not quite what you asked, but I wanted to get you thinking about your priorities. You want high tech? Or KISS principle? If you can list your top 3 or 4 hot buttons, we can probably make some good suggestions. HTH. Doug .

YORF member #11
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
AP burner

They're right! L2 covers a lot of ground. A large portion of people will go, as stated, with a basic 3/4 FNC and motor eject J motor. But some like it more complex than that. My dad did his L2 with a 4" fiberglass rocket on a 75mm L, with redundant electronics etc. etc.

A good place to start looking is Mad Cow or Wildman, if you are looking for a kit. My suggestion is to buy something fairly large. That way you can get your cert done with a J if that is your preference, and leave it open for future options in larger motors.

Braden
Ultimate Darkstar (HPR)
5.5 polecat NIKE smoke (HPR)
Retired:
Estes Mosquito (Mini Brute)
under construction:
L1 5.5" Standard ARM
RIP Erik Gates. Your talents will never be forgotten.