Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Founder, Estes Industries

Default Gleda's involvement in order processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Mr. Estes, how long did Ms. Gleda process mail orders? I'm just curious if it's possible one of my early orders was filled by her.

If your order was placed before August 1961, while we were still in Denver, then Gleda probably opened the envelope, then packed and shipped your order. After that it is more likely a newly hired employee from the Penrose area packed and shipped the order. The company was growing rapidly at that point. Gleda's role changed to a supervisory role for essentially all mail order operations, including kit packing, opening mail, order processing, catalog mailings, etc. Gleda managed the Company's largest department (most employees) until sometime after the company was sold to Damon in 1969. For most of this time her department operated three shifts a day, and maxed out at something around 200 employees. -- Vern

Correction 7/4/17 -- The number of employees should be 100-125 instead of 200 -- Vern
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes

Last edited by Vern : 07-04-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
For most of this time her department operated three shifts a day, and maxed out at something around 200 employees. -- Vern

Three shifts a day. That is amazing!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Master Modeler

There were two "inside Estes" articles in the MRN, one in the early 60 and one in the late 60s, that showed the shipping department. Lots of bins!

Thanks for the details Vern.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Founder, Estes Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Three shifts a day. That is amazing!

Gleda reviewed my post this morning and said I over estimated the number of employees in her department. She says it was more like 100-125 maximum. Sorry about my error. -- Vern
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes
Old 07-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Craftsman

Great memories placing an order and then waiting for that package from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World". A wonderful time for this 66 year old to grow up....Thanks Vern and Gleda
Old 07-03-2017, 04:54 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
Great memories placing an order and then waiting for that package from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World". A wonderful time for this 66 year old to grow up....Thanks Vern and Gleda

+1 ... always loved the mailing label !!! and the anticipation of the white box arriving was almost too much to bear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  img082.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  585.8 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 07-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Growing up in Central Ohio, our house was set back about 300 feet from the road. I want to thank the Estes and Centuri families for all the exercise I got walking back and forth checking if the mail brought an order. For you kids, it could take two WHOLE weeks by the postal service. Box here, cluster of motor tubes there. Rules then let them ship only a few motors in one parcel. Ummm, B14s... It was a time of trust (and thrust) with more than a modicum of anticipation. My first orders in 1967.

We are blessed with many fine vendors now that pride themselves in great service. Estes and Centuri set the bar back then. Carl and Sheryl of SEMROC reset it. Thank those vendors that carry the torch forward. Support our hobby.

Chas
Old 07-03-2017, 07:25 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
+1 ... always loved the mailing label !!! and the anticipation of the white box arriving was almost too much to bear

Sorry, a little off topic - I'm really enjoying the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection.

Now that Estes is doing mail orders now, why can't they print:
"From The Model Rocket Capitol of the World!"
on their boxes?

I can understand why it can't go on the postage label so why not the box?
It's be nostalgic and a big kick for us older guys.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Default Patriotic Rockets: Old Glory's Flight

The Fourth of July might be the best rocket holiday anywhere. First off the United States national anthem has a direct reference to “rocket” in its lyrics. Then of course there is the tradition of massive pyrotechnic displays; the field where our friend Vern honed his craft.

As America’s most patriotic holiday dawns it might be appropriate to ask the question:

When did Old Glory first fly on a model rocket? The answer is we don’t know!

The answer isn’t easy to find when it comes to America’s big rockets and spacecraft either, which took years to adopt the American flag insignia. In fact according to Robert Pearlman of collectspace.com (http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-070410a.html) the first American flag did not ride on a rocket until 1962 on the side of John Glenn’s Friendship 7 spacecraft. Every American spacecraft would carry the flag from that time on.

Could it be possible that the first American flag to leave Mother Earth might have ridden on a model rocket? There was ample time for our hobby to win this undeclared “space race” and blast Old Glory skyward before the big guys. Did anybody pull it off?

Was it an Orville Carlisle model built for one of his brother's aviation demonstrations? Was it an early G. Harry Stine model lost to time, perhaps one built by one of the early cadre of MMI model rocketeers in Denver, or somebody else entirely. Was it a member of this forum?

Lacking documentation it remains an open question.

For many years commercial rocket kits have carried US markings. However, early rocket kits lacked decals, so flags and other national insignia needed to be "borrowed" from plastic kits, cut out and glued to models, or done by hand as seen on many models in the National Collection.

The first sighting of the USAF "Stars and Bars" appear in the 1964 editions of the Estes and Centuri catalogs adorning their rear engine boost-gliders. However neither of those kits included decals so a bit of artistic license was in play there and neither featured a flag.

The first edition of Stine's Handbook includes a photo of the "Eaglerock" B/G with USAF markings. The model was developed between 1961 and 1963 but the image in the book could be a photo model built for the book published in 1965. Still no flag.

Sometime in the mid-late 1960’s the first American flags appeared on specialty decal sheets featured in rocketry catalogs and in kits. Now they are everywhere.

MPC gets the nod for one of the first uses of the term "patriot" in their Flare Patriot kit along with the Estes Patriot model.

The Estes Columbia (a very patriotic name) carries an American flag like the real shuttle did.

Not to be outdone the Centuri USS America Superkit featured a red, white, and blue livery.

Have a Happy and Safe Fourth of July!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:18 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
There were two "inside Estes" articles in the MRN, one in the early 60 and one in the late 60s, that showed the shipping department. Lots of bins!

Thanks for the details Vern.

I was fortunate to grow up in Colorado, and in 1966 my rocket buddies and I visited Estes Industries, met a lot of nice people, especially these two ladies that filled our order. I've lost the original slides, but had these scans of a couple picture from that visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  estes-ladies.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  210.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  estes-friends2.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  160.2 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 07-04-2017 at 11:38 AM.