Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Don, I'll get them for you. There is a PM for you.

Thanks Jack. They come in handy for D eggloft events. I got a C11-0/C11-7 combo to 463 meters (single egg loft). Unfortunately, I didn't get a track closed nor the rocket back (too darn big a parachute....someone said I shouldn't be flying duration for the altitude event ). I think I actually flew the event five times before I got an official second flight. But none got the altitude I achieved on the first. Of course, I ran out my own motors but you know how competitors are...always willing to loan you something (of course, they were flying as a team and not individual ). Just my luck though, with the availability dropping, they'll probably loose contest certification before the next ELA event
Old 01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
According to your own exhautive Centuri/Estes motor lineage chart, the Estes made Centuri C5-x came out in 1977;
What I can't figure out is how I came by the C5-3's I had back in 1999. When I began my BAR trek, I found one or two engines mixed in with some other leftovers from childhood. One of these was a C5-3. This motor had endured many temp cycles in my garage in St Louis, and when we tested my resurrected Electro-Launch in my driveway in 1999, that C5-3 cato'd big time and about woke up half the folks along my alley way

I always assumed that motor must have been left over from my days flying as kid, but my last recollection of doing rockets was around 1973 or 1974. If the Estes branded C5-3 didn't come to market until 1980, WTF did I get the one I had? </rhetoric>

I was in college by then, and wouldn't touch a rocket again for many years, so I'm at a total loss to explain how I came by that C5-3.

Doug

Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
What I can't figure out is how I came by the C5-3's I had back in 1999. When I began my BAR trek, I found one or two engines mixed in with some other leftovers from childhood. One of these was a C5-3. This motor had endured many temp cycles in my garage in St Louis, and when we tested my resurrected Electro-Launch in my driveway in 1999, that C5-3 cato'd big time and about woke up half the folks along my alley way

I always assumed that motor must have been left over from my days flying as kid, but my last recollection of doing rockets was around 1973 or 1974. If the Estes branded C5-3 didn't come to market until 1980, WTF did I get the one I had? </rhetoric>

I was in college by then, and wouldn't touch a rocket again for many years, so I'm at a total loss to explain how I came by that C5-3.

Doug

I'm trying to find out about those motors and release dates.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I'm trying to find out about those motors and release dates.
I'm pretty sure Shockie's right. The discrepancy is all in my head

Doug
Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
You will never see a B14 motor again at least from Estes. Back in the day these motors were "hand-drilled" to get the multi-stage core design; explosions were common; the B8 was the next generation B14; instead of drilling the core, Estes motor maker guru ** ***** redesigned parts of the MABEL machine to be able to use a "formed" core..... much less dangerous.... the C5 used the exact same core as the B8.

Estes has a 95% + world-wide market share in 1/4A-E model rocket motors; they have no effective competition; therefore they do not have to innovate; therefore they do not have to listen to its consumers.

sorry to burst your bubbles, but don't hold your breath on any -0 motors or anything else as far as Estes is concerned anytime soon.

If you want variety in model rocket motors (BP/composite), head over to East Europe: the Poles(EMI/TSP), the Czechs(Delta),the Slovaks(Vymopo); Serbia(Ultra); Slovenia (Mach)Ukraine(MRD) all have a plenthora of rocket motors to choose from.

thats my 2 rubles ymmv

terry dean
nar 16158

ps .

by the way, does anybody know approximately when Estes shifted ALL of its model rocket kit manufacturing over to China?

Terry,

Do you have any more info - contact information, website, how to get them - on those European motors ?
Would love to get a few if possible to get any into the US .

~ AL
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Would have to say that THE # 1 MOST NEEDED BP engine would be an E60-0 or F100-0 type motor.
that's the one we mioss- good high thrust BP booster that could stage to BP or composite upper stages.

second - have to say high thrust D or mid-E ala D20 or E20 .

my personal wish list otherwise.

Mini B engines for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C5 and/or B8 back would be great ( and make booster motors , too )

agree that smaller boosters would be usefull to us 'hobbiests' but would not sell to the general public well .

mini engine booster ( A3 would be better than A10, I like to SEE my birds fly, not * puff* and gone )

while wishing, definately G160 and H220 siver streak or NON0streak generic BP, loads of fun and priced right .

oh, and .. are you listenign Estes .. A3-2T and A3-6T

~ AL

ps: and if QUEST is listening - bring those other Chinese motors ( from thier ads ) on over and we WILL buy them .
Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I have a dream... (well, it's not that big of a deal, but follow for a moment.)

A company builds a stateside rocket engine manufacturing facility, 20 miles or so from any city and about half a mile to a mile from a major highway (so as to ensure maximum safety). They manufacture "blanks" or "cores" which are just casing, nozzle and BP grain, making a few of each type (1/2A6, A6, A8, B4, B6, B8, C5, C6) in advance of need but keeping only a small stockpile. Upon receiving an order, the required blanks would be loaded with 2 to 7 seconds of delay (except possibly the C5 if it is really not possible to get more than 3 seconds in there) and an ejection charge, and labeled thusly. Or, the blank might simply be labeled "0 Delay" and shipped as a booster engine.

So if I really thought I could use a B4-7, I could buy a pack. Or a C6-2. An A8-7 for a really light upper stage might be useful in a competition.

This kind of flexible manufacturing might make retail sales difficult, so my postulated company would need to provide a "standard" engine list for use by clueless retailers, basing the list on the engines most commonly ordered on the Internet. But Internet sales would be the real kicker here, especially if the company offered discount pricing on bulk orders, even mixed orders.

The secret to the whole thing would be automation. We have MABEL for an example... using only mechanical techniques, with no computer control, MABEL could make the engine it was tooled for in what, a minute? Surely a computer-controlled rig could choose nozzle and BP load for making blanks, labeling the finished product with space left empty for the final markings. Another such rig would scan the bar code on the blank (to ensure the right blanks were loaded for the order being processed) and automatically prepare and load the delay and ejection charges, and cap and mark the finished engine. Even packing the engines into boxes can readily be automated; I used to work with a company that "made" OEM brake parts for cars (they bought a variety of "finished" components, picked the right parts to make a kit and packed and sold them in bulk through Autozone and Advance) and I got to watch such equipment firsthand.

This sort of system would enable the humans working the system to remain at a distance most of the time. This is also why I think keeping only a small stock of prepared blanks (maybe "cores" is a better term?) is important. We are all aware of the seriousness of accidents when making these engines.

Yeah, it's a dream. It would take a company that understood the Internet, and right now the only stateside manufacturer of model rocket engines definitely does NOT understand the Internet.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 PM
BAR

My votes are all about supporting small two stagers, for which there is nothing currently available:

Top priority is a mini booster:
1/2A3-0T, A3-0T and A10-0T

Small 18mm boosters:
1/2A6-0, A8-0 & B6-0 (in 3 packs)

Small upper stage motors with large nozzles:
1/2A6-4 and B4-6
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Thanks Jack. They come in handy for D eggloft events. I got a C11-0/C11-7 combo to 463 meters (single egg loft). Unfortunately, I didn't get a track closed nor the rocket back (too darn big a parachute....someone said I shouldn't be flying duration for the altitude event ). I think I actually flew the event five times before I got an official second flight. But none got the altitude I achieved on the first. Of course, I ran out my own motors but you know how competitors are...always willing to loan you something (of course, they were flying as a team and not individual ). Just my luck though, with the availability dropping, they'll probably loose contest certification before the next ELA event

Don, PM for you.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Does anyone even think that a motor manufacturer will ever even here our pleas? I think that we are all just wasting our breath, no matter how much i wish that they would produce more variety in motor's i think that those days are over.