Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Marine Air

Default BlackStar TSTO build

BlackStar TSTO Description:

This model is loosely based on Lockheed/Martin design studies for a two stage to orbit (TSTO), reusable space transportation system done in the late sixties. It consisted of a Carrier Vehicle and Orbiter stack that sled launched. The Carrier Vehicle had air breathing engines for fly back recovery and horizontal landing. The Orbiter was also recovered to a runway. Something similar was rumored to be operating out of Groom Lake about 16 years ago under the code name BlackStar.

The model will be flyable in three different configurations. Configuration 1 is being built now and will be covered in this thread.

Configuration 1 - R/c Orbiter glider / Rear ejection, parachute recovery Booster.
Power: AeroTech E15-WP in the Obiter. AeroTech F20-3W in the Booster.

Configuration 2 - Free-flight Orbiter glider / R/c Carrier Vehicle glider.
This was my prototype built back in 1986. Flown once but never successfully recovered. The stack failed to separate after a perfect boost... it augured. The attached photos were taken after it was re-built, but never flown again.
Power: To be determined… the original used one 24mm and one 29mm AeroTech SU motor. (for the life of me, I just can’t remember which ones). They did have the characteristic thrust/time curves of “long burn” motors in use today. The Orbiter motor ejected with streamer recovery and I’m not sure I want to do it that way this time around.

Configuration 3 - R/c Orbiter glider / R/c Carrier Vehicle glider.
Power: AeroTech E6-RCT in the Obiter. AeroTech G12-RCT in the Carrier Vehicle

More photos to come… but for now, enjoy these.

Regards,

FlyBack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  tsto1.GIF
Views: 347
Size:  4.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  orbiter.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  23.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  orbiter_and_carrier2.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  45.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  orbiter_and_carrier.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  13.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  tsto3.GIF
Views: 309
Size:  6.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  tsto2.GIF
Views: 280
Size:  5.2 KB  

Last edited by FlyBack : 05-11-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Changed motor selection for Configuration 1
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Marine Air

Default Configuration 1 mockup phase

One critical aspect of this design is locating the 3D center of gravity. Mockups help me do that. With an asymmetrical configuration like this one, simply pointing the motor thrust lines through the C.G. isn't enough. You have to use some math. The vector equations for static equilibrium are written around a known C.G. Summation of forces on the Z axis and summation of moments about the C.G. must equal zero. That requires some trig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  mockup1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  20.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mockup2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  23.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mockup3.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  38.4 KB  

Last edited by FlyBack : 05-04-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Master Modeler

I am so dying to see this one finished and flown!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Marine Air

Default Glider test model

...Not exactly a mockup. A test model built from 6mm depron foam and .010in vacu-formed plastic. Sometimes called a "toss model" or "chuck glider". This one allowed me to confirm the C.G. and elevon deflections for the Orbiter R/c model. Oh, and yes, it flies! Glide ratio is about 8 to 1. Not bad for a low aspect ratio delta wing with a blunt body tail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  config1_glider.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  21.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  config1_front.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  23.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  orbiter_tooling.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  85.1 KB  

Last edited by FlyBack : 05-04-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Marine Air

Default Launch rail

Rail mods finished. The outriggers fold inward for transport. The rail itself is 96 inches long. Why so long? In order to keep acceleration below about 5 g's I'm using long burn motors (higher accelerations would rip the wings off or induce flutter... a bad thing). Critical velocity when it clears the rail is about 35fps. IF I meet my weight targets, RocSim says it will be going 35fps at the 84 inch mark. I don't trust RocSim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  on_the_rail00.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  115.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  on_the_rail01.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  117.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  on_the_rail02.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  127.3 KB  

Last edited by FlyBack : 05-04-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Marine Air

Default Finish it... Fly it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
I am so dying to see this one finished and flown!

You and me both! I figure I have about six weeks...to make the contest that is. You'd think after twenty-three years I would be a little further along.

Regards,

DJ Miller

Last edited by FlyBack : 05-04-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBack
One critical aspect of this design is locating the 3D center of gravity. Mockups help me do that. With an asymmetrical configuration like this one, simply pointing the motor thrust lines through the C.G. isn't enough. You have to use some math. The vector equations for static equilibrium are written around a known C.G. Summation of forces on the Z axis and summation of moments about the C.G. must equal zero. That requires some trig.

A most challenging but equally rewarding project! In either or both (or neither?) of your models, is/was the orbiter's motor ignited in flight so that it flies/flew free as a true second stage, or are/were the booster's motor and the orbiter's motor ignited simultaneously at launch as a cluster?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Marine Air

Default Staging

Black Shire

In all three configurations both motors are ignited at the same time (like a cluster). A hold back system is required. The E7-RCT orbiter motor burns slightly longer than the E15-4 booster motor. That makes it a 1 1/2 parallel stage rocket. Separation occurs when the rear ejection parachute deploys from the booster stage. The orbiter motor remains with the orbiter.

The two motors used have different impulses and average thrusts. As a consequence, they have different offsets from the vertical C.G. and also different thrust line angles. Getting that part right is a real B... err, challenge.

Regards,

DJ Miller

Last edited by FlyBack : 11-01-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Changed motor selection for Configuration 1
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBack
Black Shire

In all three configurations both motors are ignited at the same time (like a cluster). A hold back system is required. The D5-P orbiter motor burns slightly longer than the E9-4 booster motor. I guess that makes it a 1 1/2 stage rocket. Separation occurs when the rear ejection parachute deploys from the booster stage. The orbiter motor remains with the orbiter.

The two motors used have different impulses and average thrusts. However, their thrust/time curves have nearly identical shapes. That characteristic is what allows me to meet the conditions stated above. As a consequence, they have different offsets from the vertical C.G. and also different thrust line angles. Getting that part right is a real B... err, challenge.

Regards,

DJ Miller

Thank you for clarifying this. Having done a bit of preliminary design work (which convinced me that I needed more mathematical design tools than I had at the time) for a flying model of Max Faget's original "DC-3" TSTO Space Shuttle, the last part of your comment feels very familiar... :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Marine Air

Default Booster assembly

...just a few photos of the booster before final assembly. Tested the rear ejection system on the Fourth of July without any structural failures, scared neighbors, chared chutes or local police showing up. Worked as designed.

Next step will be installing the mating pins on the two wings. Tooling is complete, just need the time.

Regards,

DJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  booster_0.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  64.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  booster_2.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  51.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  booster_1.JPG
Views: 289
Size:  62.7 KB  

Last edited by FlyBack : 07-07-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added text notes to drawing