Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM
steely eyed missile man

Default Hobby Lab SR-71

Stumbled over this in the garage in the old bone yard. Never did fly it as a rocket but I did as an electric pusher and it was blindingly fast. I retired it a couple of year ago but it's still in good shape.

So. How do I get it to fly as a rocket again?

Found the old instructions on line. Something about an E-15-P motor. Seems I'll need an bigger launch pad and a 12 volt system. But I worried the motor might be hard to come by?

I saw a few videos of it flying as a Rocket. It flew very well.

Also does anyone now were to find a scan of the decal? Mine could stand to be replaced.

Thanks for any help, links and info on this bird.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SR.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  112.1 KB  

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Wasted away again.......

I can't answer any of your questions or provide any links, but I can relate my experience with this model and ask YOU for advice: I flew mine about a half a dozen times back in the 90's, and nore often than not, instead of gliding, it just went into a flat spin. I'm not glider-savy enough to explain it. Can you offer any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
steely eyed missile man

RocketCrab that sounds like a CG and control through issue but without seeing your bird it's hard to say. I'm a long time RC pilot. If you don't have enough deflection in your control surfaces, or enough down elevator this could cause it too. You got to get that nose down in a flat spin.

Tail heavy? Yes that too. Check your control throws and your CG. It will be one or both of them I would think. I have seen a lot of video of this SR flying and they seemed to fly well. Mine did with electric power.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Master Modeler

Jim Z's site has a scan of the Centuri Kit #5349 SR-71 decals. They don't look to be in the best shape... I was surprised that there wasn't a scan of the Estes version out there.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/centuri/cen5349m.jpg
Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
Stumbled over this in the garage in the old bone yard. Never did fly it as a rocket but I did as an electric pusher and it was blindingly fast. I retired it a couple of year ago but it's still in good shape.

So. How do I get it to fly as a rocket again?

Found the old instructions on line. Something about an E-15-P motor. Seems I'll need an bigger launch pad and a 12 volt system. But I worried the motor might be hard to come by?

I saw a few videos of it flying as a Rocket. It flew very well.

Also does anyone now were to find a scan of the decal? Mine could stand to be replaced.

Thanks for any help, links and info on this bird.

Steve

IIRC the E15-P was an old Estes engine, not made anymore. The E-15's were prone to catos and were discontinued, replaced by the 'de-rated' E9's...

Your best bet would probably be some sort of APCP reload. I'd check valuerockets.com and see what would work...

Later! OL JR
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching since 1970.

Aerotech makes E15 motors that are 24 mm diameter and 70 mm long.

They made the origianl E15-P for the HL SR-71 and they make them again today.

The Estes E15 motors were longer black powder motors and they had the noted failure problems.

I saw someone else's HL SR-71 many years ago and IIRC you MUST use the noted motor or it will not hold the motor in place (the mount is spring loaded?).

http://www.valuerockets.com/default.aspx

http://www.valuerockets.com/product...pid=3&itemid=25
Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
steely eyed missile man

Thanks Guys. But the only problem will be I can't launch at the dam with that size motor. Right Fred?

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Thanks Guys. But the only problem will be I can't launch at the dam with that size motor. Right Fred?

Steve

9 to 91/2 months out of the 12 month year our power limit is and has been a maximum of a single G motor at the Santa Fe Dam. Our lower power limit is only in effect when we are displaced to the smaller lawn area while (or whilst) the Ren-Fair is running. Clear and complete power limit info is on the SCRA Calendar of Events.

Here are photos of the big stuff flying at the Dam:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/gallery/gal206.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz
Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM
steely eyed missile man

Thanks Fred it gives me something to look forward to and prepare for. Making kits right now isn't allowing me much time to get her going for awhile anyway.

Shame about that darn Faire being out there though. They keep throwing it off one sight and giving it to another. It won't be long before it gets tossed off the dam next.

Steve

Hostile Projectiles
Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Thanks Fred it gives me something to look forward to and prepare for. Making kits right now isn't allowing me much time to get her going for awhile anyway.

Shame about that darn Faire being out there though. They keep throwing it off one sight and giving it to another. It won't be long before it gets tossed off the dam next.

Steve

They are simply lucky that the Fair does not run during the normal "fire season". We have had the last 2 launches cancelled because they are using 50% of the park (the end we would use) for the firefighting base of operations for first the Morris Fire and now the Station Fire. Hopefully they are out of there within a week so our October 3 launch can occur. We have several groups of cub and boy scouts who will be launching a lot of Quest motors. (this should use up a majority of our German Quest motor supply and start to eat into the Chinese Quest motor supply).