Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Default flying weather in NY in January ?!?!?

HI,

I know, I've been strangely missing for a while - one of those months, was away 2 weeks to my in-laws, etc..... and hey, I AM strange, they say ....

Anyways, to start talking on here agian - did you miss me ? - we actually had like 50 degree and sunny weather this afternoon, so Nick Hills and myself got out and burnt a few before he went back to school .

Not sure how many Nick flew - Mean Machine Twice, Estes Phoenix, scratchbuild on a D12,Firstreak, few others.
his Mean Machine second fligth on an E9-6 was beautiful, perfect striaght up boost and perfect dleay choice, id did however land in a very 'muddy' horse coral , not the most pleasant recovery trip .

I got to fly 5 birds myself as follows:

scratchbuilt 'Peppermint Stick' (BT60,with 24mm mount and 4 x 13mm pods on the fin tips) on a single D12-5.. delay slightly long and shock cord cut a gouge in a forward fin edge , otherwise good.

Maiden flight of my AstroBee clone on an A8-3 (since I have a pile of those), good but not exactly super high flight, lol .. landed on a pavilion roof in the park, recovered ok, but did scratch it up slightly .

also Maiden flight of my' built years ago and I finally painted and decaled it' Photon Disruptor II - B6-4 was a little long ( both flyers thought the delay was over 4 seconds), but deployed and recovered with no damage at all .

a scratchbuilt rear-ejection rocket I;ve been flying for years (BT55,18mm,BMS Bnc-55AO), good boost on an a8-3 but the ejection pulled the screweye out of the cone - attrihbuted to the excessive ejection in current motors ?

note that a small Bt5 scratchbuilt Nick flew has seperation as well .

my final flight was my vintage , circa 1983 Maxi Alpha 3 on a D12-5.. great boost and again, the excessive ejection / seperation ( noting this had a 1/4" rubber shock cord, not the original but a few years old and maybe should have been changed).
booster section pranged in the mud, still crimped it fairly well.
nose and 24" chute recovered at edge of park .
Been debating whether to restore this bird anyways ( I'd painted it bright yellow with the original 'Alpha' lettering decals, circa 1990 (the red/black name decals from the Alpha,whenever that was).- now I guess I have a good incentive to rebuild and re-decal in the catalog scheme, oh well....

anyways, good to fly a few, and good to be back on here - hopefully life will calm down enough to let me both post, and get to some of those winter projects :-)

~ AL