Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default NARAM-52 & Vintage Estes Orbital Transport

I built an Estes Orbital Transport back in 1972 or 1973 and I still fly it on occassion.

It's flown on everything from B6-2 to D8-6 (AeroTech) motors. Along the way it has become a bit flight-worn with many of the the decals damaged or missing. Even so, it has always performed well. It is all the original parts except for the sustainer section parachute which is now a Cox 20" 'chute from one of their Saturn V models I crashed ( ).

I took the OT to NARAM-52 to fly it. Powered by an Estes C6-5 motor, it had a beautiful flight into the Colorado sky. The glider came off and circled the sustainer which came down on a fully deployed parachute. The glider stayed in the air longer than the sustainer did. Both components landed within feet of each other.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  N52 Vintage Estes Orbital Transport awaits launch.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  283.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  N52 Orbital Transport launches on an Estes C6-5 motor.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  200.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  N52 OT climbing.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  74.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  N52 OT post landing.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  140.6 KB  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Love the OT. Pretty amazing it has survived this long. Have you redone the shock cord? My oldest rocket is a Saros from 1976, and the shock cord feels surprisingly stretchy, but I just cannot bring myself to fly this rocket again ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
. Both components landed within feet of each other.

Bob

The OT was one of the early Estes models that got me very interested in rocketry since part of it was glide recovery. OF course, the SkyDart is/was my favorite in that department.....

The only thing I did not really like about the OT was that it was still too much rocket and nowhere near enough glider....even the glider on a 4x upscale is smaller than some of my D powered gliders. Still very neat unless you are hopelessly 'corrupted' by size like I am.

Great photo of the close landing of the booster and glider portions, and on a C motor no less! Why can't this happen to ME??
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Old BAR

The OT is my all time favorite! Like a lot of you, I built my first one when I was about 12, and I still have it AND the original black and orange 18" 'chute. I fired it last in Orangeburg when the NSL was held there in '08.
Loved it!
I have about 9 of the rereleased kits and 3 of the green-carded ones. Why, I can't tell you, except my self control is a bit lacking at times!
Also, I have a Hawks Hobbies upscale that flies wonderfully on E15 motors. The glider flew what seemed like a half mile STRAIGHT downrange. Thank goodness for the little fellow that hollered to me, "I'll get it!" I gave him whatever he wanted out of my cooler!
That thing flew over the crowd looking eerily like the space shuttle on final approach!

Allen
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Master Modeler

This may be enough to get my Semroc OT up higher in the build queue.....it, like the Trident that I'm currently building, are both ones that I wanted when I was into rocketry the first time but couldn't afford the time/money/space. Good to hear of an original that's still going strong.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have the following Orbital Transports to be built:
Hawks Hobby Super Orbital Transport
Semroc Orbital Transport
PDR Orbital Transport with BMS laser-cut fins
Estes Classic-series Orbital Transport (doubt will ever build-hate the fact it has plastic cones, but uncut fins like original)
Estes Original Green-Header Skill level 4 kit.

I think I'm going to move that Super Orbital Transport to #3 in my build queue just behind my "More Rockets" Star Speeder and the new Estes Saturn V.

My Super Orbital Transport will have the booster built with ALL EPOXY construction and the orbiter lightly filleted with epoxy to ensure thae ability to survive on a steady diet of RMS 24 E15, E28, F24, and F39 loads. May even put micro R/C gear in the orbiter for R/C glide recovery.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have the following Orbital Transports to be built:
  • Hawks Hobby Super Orbital Transport
  • Semroc Orbital Transport
  • PDR Orbital Transport with BMS laser-cut fins
  • Estes Classic-series Orbital Transport (doubt will ever build-hate the fact it has plastic cones, but uncut fins like original)
  • Estes Original Green-Header Skill level 4 kit.
I have three (4?) of the recent Estes re-releases plus one I got from Lawn Dart Rocketry (Dale Windsor) years ago. I need to build one of them

One idea I had kicking around was to munge two of them together to create a dual glider bird. I would make the top and bottom symmetrical and then deploy two of the gliders. Of course, the motor mount would be upgraded, too

Jason Ware, famous upscaler here in North Texas, has a 4x upscale OT that uses RC recovery on the glider as I recall. I'm thinking the Hawks Hobby kit would be a good candidate for that, too.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Master Modeler

Nice ones Bob. Glad you still have the fortitude to fly that 'ol thang!

The OT has always been my favorite rocket to date. I scratch built my 1.68 upscale before Hawks offered one. Semroc provided the cones which weren't yet a stock item at the time I made the request. I thought the Hawks was a little too much money, but it's great someone offered a kit. This is one I wanted to see Semroc add to their SLS line of kits. Maybe now that Hawks isn't around anymore, they will consider it???? Carl???? I wish Quest offered parts at the time since their 30mm tube is a little closer to the correct size for the glider (and have a cone that would work pretty well), but the BT55 works just fine.

I have one of the Estes newer re-releases in the bag, one cloned from BMS parts, one cloned from Semroc parts, and another Semroc kit. Sadly, I don't have my original anymore.

Here is my upscale. Flies great on Estes D12-3, and Aerotech D15, E11.

Last edited by foose4string : 09-02-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Old BAR

Awesome pics, Foose! Just great! Very nice upscale!
Love the one of the glider with the large tree in the background!
Wow!

Allen
Old 09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Old Submariner

Yes! Excellent photos!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078