Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I always liked 'em. I had an old Estes Saturn V that I put Centuri wraps on, took off the SM/LM shroud and added the tubes and nose for a Maxi Alpha III, added big trapesoid fins and painted it solid yellow. Called it the Mighty Favog (bonus points if you know the reference). Flew it four or five times on F45s. On the last flight it caught some wind during the really slow liftoff and it headed toward Married Housing on the University of GA campus (we flew from the intramural fields) and various and sundry munchkins made away with it. Usually we only lost small rockets that way. Big rockets were usually confiscated by the kids' parental unit and we would do a door-to-door search to get them back. Unfortunately some parent must've liked the idea of having a five foot tall yellow rocket in their tiny Married Housing apartment cause I didn't get it back.

I've got a E20-10 and a F45-8 in front of me (dated 3-80). I have two or three others in the stash.

hmm.. the sacrilege's we used to do .. wish you had that Saturn ( or the Centuri wraps,anyways) now , I bet ...
Bummer about the loss - my bro lost one 6-7 years back when it drifted from the park into a ball field next dor and some kids ran off with the AAA ? Sentry, and 29/40-120 reload case ... we offered some other kids a reward, but they wouldn't snitch on whoever grabbed it.... :-(

~ AL ( wish I had some E20 or F40 to fly, although could go make up some, lol - I do have one last pro-Jet G62 someplace. )

ps: re the Frank Oz Muppets reference, what do I win ?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have several Composite Dynamics Pro-Jet E20 motors from the early 80's.
Those were VERY similar to the original Enerjets (albeit in 24mm guise)....high-performance full n-sec low-smoke motors.
I flew 2 E20-7's earlier this year in a Maxi-Alpha and they still worked fine (the delay trains worked).
In short, I like the old pro-jets....when they existed they were the only widely available composites in my area. They were extremely easy to ignite too....I always used to use an Estes solar igniter shoved all the way up to the top of the propellant grain with very short (1/4") leads sticking of the nozzle...worked every time....in my ignorance I did not know there were "special" composite igniters.

When were thre pro-jet G62's made ? Late 80's/early 90's ? Never heard of that one...I was out of rocketry from about 1987 to 1997.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 09-08-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
When were thre pro-jet G62's made ? Late 80's/early 90's ? Never heard of that one...I was out of rocketry from about 1987 to 1997.

G62's were made circa 1981, I believe, as CD (Pro-Jet) was out of business by 1982-83.

G62 was, to the best of my knowledge, never in the catalog, and not as widely available as the SSRS / Crown G motors .

~ AL
Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
I have a little story to tell here. A long time ago I was a salesman for Sears (thank god that's over) One of the duties a salesman has is changing the tape on the cash register when it runs out - there were two types, 2.75" and 3.75" The first time I changed one I looked at the paper core I had removed and was convinced it was a FSI motor casing! I took it home dug out an old FSI motor - and the tubes were identical, convolutely wound same length, ID and OD, same color kraft paper. I always wondered why they stayed with the oddball size, I guess it was because the could buy an off the shelf tube cheaper than getting an 18mm made special order.

Dale Greene
SPAAR 503

There is a article in the July 1971 Model Rocketry from G. Harry about the motor sizes. The original Carlisle “Rock-A-Chute” was 12.7 mm by 57 mm. When they had the motors made by Brown Manufacturing, he total them he could make them quicker if they didn’t use their special-size paper and use a tube they already had handy for their Zenith Buzz Bomb firework. That tube was 18mm by 70 mm. Later when Vern made them he stay with that size to be compatible. He mention some Europe manufactures using 21mm tubes too, but later switched to18mm. FSI was the one hold out. I guess 21mm tubes were a stander for something and easier to get.

While talking to Doug Pratt at the last ECRM, he pulled a old box of motors from his Van. In the box was some FSI 18mm motors. He said FSI did try to make 18mm motor, but when they pressed them, they all got bulges in the middle of the motor. They never figured out how to press them with the budge, so they never sold tem.

Bruce Canino
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
While talking to Doug Pratt at the last ECRM, he pulled a old box of motors from his Van. In the box was some FSI 18mm motors. He said FSI did try to make 18mm motor, but when they pressed them, they all got bulges in the middle of the motor. They never figured out how to press them with the budge, so they never sold tem.

Bruce Canino

They did sell 18mm motors, probably well after Doug left the company. One of our local hobby shops sold them along with the bigger FSI motors. FSI somehow got ahold of MRI/MRC/AVI's motor machines, and made 18mm motors with them for a few years in the late 80's. Quest ended up using them (FSI may have actually made the first batch of Quest motors).
Old 09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

In the early 80s, but probably before Lonnie Reese died, FSI advertised 18mm motors with dual thrust spikes!

They were called "Pulsators" or something like that.

These were probably vaporware.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
In the early 80s, but probably before Lonnie Reese died, FSI advertised 18mm motors with dual thrust spikes!

They were called "Pulsators" or something like that.

These were probably vaporware.

You could get the same effect with F7's bouncing up and down the rod.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I second that about the F7's

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
They did sell 18mm motors, probably well after Doug left the company. One of our local hobby shops sold them along with the bigger FSI motors. FSI somehow got ahold of MRI/MRC/AVI's motor machines, and made 18mm motors with them for a few years in the late 80's. Quest ended up using them (FSI may have actually made the first batch of Quest motors).

I never saw on of them. How did they compare with Estes motors of the time?

I know a lot of people complained about FSI motors, but I liked them. The F100 was way cool, and none of mine cato. The F7 and E6 were cool too, but you had to fly them in real light models. I flew some of the D18's, but not as many as the larger FSI motors.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
I never saw on of them. How did they compare with Estes motors of the time?

I know a lot of people complained about FSI motors, but I liked them. The F100 was way cool, and none of mine cato. The F7 and E6 were cool too, but you had to fly them in real light models. I flew some of the D18's, but not as many as the larger FSI motors.

We did have a few of the FSI 18mm motors, B and C, and they worked excelent.

I still have a couple fired casings someplace, but sold the unburned ones some time back.

Pretty rare stuff, I imagine.

I do have ( will have to hunt it up and scan for Scott , a notice that was sent with FSI kits of that era, mentioneing the 18mm change and either availabel , or included - don't recall until I find the notice - motor adapters.

I also have a letter ( might have scanned ,posted here before ?, but did a search and did nto find it ) .. circa 1984-85, iirc - appears hand typed, and definately hand signed by Harold Reese , regarding the composite engines available, so some were apparently released.

~ AL

goes to hunt through more paperwork, lol...