Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default North Coast Rocketry: Mini Spoil Sport

I recently purchased an open-bag NCR Mini Spoil Sport from a local club member. The kit was unbuilt but does appear to be missing pieces. Does anyone have a set of instructions & a parts list for this kit? My kit has:

* nose cone
* main body tube
* 4 motor tubes
* wire rope with the 2 crimp end things
* plywood bulkhead with 4 holes for the motor tubes & 1 tiny central hole
* 2 cardboard rings (I'm guessing these're motor blocks and that 2 more are missing?)
* 3 sets of fins, upper & lower portions
* decal sheet, dirty & crinkled

While I could invent my own way to assemble this mélange of parts, it would be nice to build this kit as close to stock as possible. If instructions aren't available, can anyone with an NCR kit explain how motor retention should work, and how the wire rope should be attached? The wire rope seems to be too short to run from the bulkhead to the nose cone.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Junior Rocketeer

...holy crap, "Join date: Feb. 2009, Posts: 1". I didn't think I was *that* bad of a lurker.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Not so Junior

For the shock cord anchor, make a loop around the motor tube and use one of the crimps to secure it. The other end can either go up along the motor tube in the inner hole of your CR, through a hole in the upper CR, or between the CR and the outer tube. Depends on your liking.

Make a loop in the other end and secure it with the other crimp. Then tie you shock cord onto that loop. May be easier to do that last step before you glue the mount in the rocket.

kj
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Kevin is correct about the Gorilla shock cord mount. I worked for North Coast prior to them entering an agreement with Estes back in '94. Cut a lot of cable for mounts.
Matt Steele is on this forum (ManofSteele). He has resurrected North Coast and is selling kits that are distributed through Apogee. He has plans to sell kit instructions to allow folks to clone the older designs. I will ping him to see if he still has scans of the Mini Spoil Sport. I think he will be amused to learn that you have started a build on this old kit.

Chas
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Master Modeler

I would attach the wire shock cord anchor as Kevin suggests, but NOT tie the shock cord on until the model is complete.

Run the cable from the parachute compartment down through the mount tube out the rear of the model. Curl it up inside the motor mount tube within reach, and tape it into place to keep it out of the way while you finish the rocket.

When you are done, tie the shock cord to it there and then feed the whole mess back through.

I suggest investing in a nice heavy duty barrel swivel to put between the anchor cable and the shock cord. This will greatly reduce twisting.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the detailed replies everyone. The Mini Spoil Sport is a 4x18mm cluster ocket, the motor tubes fit inside the main body tube without the need for centering rings. The single plywood bulkhead that I found in the bag appears to fit 'on top' of the motor tubes, the 4 holes drilled in the bulkhead are too small to fit a motor tube through. It appears that I am supposed to loop the cable through one of the bulkhead holes and around the outside edge before crimping it together.

The bag didn't have any engine hooks so they may have been lost/repurposed, any ideas as to how the original motor retention worked?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Old Fart Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurkey
Thanks for the detailed replies everyone. The Mini Spoil Sport is a 4x18mm cluster ocket, the motor tubes fit inside the main body tube without the need for centering rings. The single plywood bulkhead that I found in the bag appears to fit 'on top' of the motor tubes, the 4 holes drilled in the bulkhead are too small to fit a motor tube through. It appears that I am supposed to loop the cable through one of the bulkhead holes and around the outside edge before crimping it together.

The bag didn't have any engine hooks so they may have been lost/repurposed, any ideas as to how the original motor retention worked?

It's called 'friction fit'. Most of the bigger mod roc kits and low end HPR kits of the 80s and early 90s came without any motor retention.

Avid rocketeer since 1967.
NAR 13559 / L2
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurkey

I think I would dispense with the hooks. Find a machine screw whose threads fit into the gap between those motor tubes. Hacksaw off the head and glue it in that gap, leaving about 3/4" to 1" sticking out. After you insert your motors, put a washer and two nuts onto that stud to retain them.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Level 5 Certified

You are in luck - I still have an extra copy of the Mini SpoilSport plan (I am just getting ready to scan it, actually).

Send me a a private message and I will mail you a hard copy.

If I was building that kit today, I would add four Estes engine hooks for motor retention. We didn't have a good source for them back when the kit was originally produced.

Is there enough interest to do an updated version for the new NCR? It is one kit I have been considering bringing back.

Matt
North Coast Rocketry
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Not so Junior

Cluster kits are always cool! Here's a link to one of the old catalogs so folks can see what they looked like:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...CAT/NCR1989.pdf