Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
focused procrastinator

Default return of the "glory days"?

for the past few years, the big dogs (estes, quest, etc) have had either too gimicky (pop-fly)
or just your basic 3fnc, nothing really like the stuff from the 80's, early 90's, and ceartainly even the basic 3fnc now are less than the most basic ones offered in the 70's. but lately, especialy with estes, I've noticed an overall improvement in not just the quality of the kits, but an improvement in the idea as well. bringing back some of the classics, as well as some new ones which i see as future classics, such as the epm-010 i was working on this morning. a couple years ago, the "level 2" kits had plastic fin cans, peel and stick decals, and pre colored parts. now, most level 1 kits have water slide decals. there are even some composite motors and higher skill level kits on the que for release. I'm stoked about how the kit quality is turning out lately, how about all of you?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The tastes of consumers have changed and Estes is conforming to sales trends. Accept that. The main thing that has happened is a strong polarization of rocketry to a model where HPR and thus LMR is linked to clubs by hard regulations that kill growth hard. The Consumer level has no such self-imposed throttling or regulations and folks are free to purchase low end model rockets nationwide and in many other countries with no permits or hassles.

Guess who helps write those regulations? Estes and Quest.

Jerry
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
focused procrastinator

i was speaking more of the kit quality, rather than regulations and red tape.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I too like what I see, and for the first time in practically decades, I am actually buying new Estes kits, rather than mostly scratch-building (or buying old classics on eBay).

I like the return of balsa nose cones, although I do wonder what is going on with the Super Alpha, having a plastic nose cone, while the package says it has a balsa one?

Overall, I think Estes is doing a lot more exciting things than most of us could have ever imagined.

I still continue to add to my collection of Semroc kits, but it is really good to have Estes back in the game again.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I too like what I see, and for the first time in practically decades, I am actually buying new Estes kits, rather than mostly scratch-building (or buying old classics on eBay).

I like the return of balsa nose cones, although I do wonder what is going on with the Super Alpha, having a plastic nose cone, while the package says it has a balsa one?

Overall, I think Estes is doing a lot more exciting things than most of us could have ever imagined.

I still continue to add to my collection of Semroc kits, but it is really good to have Estes back in the game again.

My understanding is that, mostly due to the high price of balsa, Estes is going back to plastic nose cones whenever they can. Personally, I like the plastic nose cones - they are easy to finish and they stand up to punishment better than balsa. Far as I'm concerned - it's all good!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
My understanding is that, mostly due to the high price of balsa, Estes is going back to plastic nose cones whenever they can. Personally, I like the plastic nose cones - they are easy to finish and they stand up to punishment better than balsa. Far as I'm concerned - it's all good!

I can respect that. Human joints do wear out!
NAR #92766
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:

Some plastic cones are easier to finish. Some, with a bad mold seam, are a pain. Balsa cones can be sanded to a different shape; there is less flexibility with plastic ones. So my answer is "it depends."

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:

I don't mind plastic, although I tend to prefer balsa. One reason is probably the nostalgia factor, and the other is that I have a wood lathe, so custom turning is pretty rewarding.

The big problem with the plastic nose cone in the Super Alpha is that it has a rounded tip. It doesn't look anything like an Alpha nose cone.

If JumpJet is "listening", can we at least get properly upscaled plastic nose cones for the Super Alpha?

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 06-28-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Star Voyager

Hey I thought these are the glory days!
Now I have money to buys stuff and a lot more different stuff to go around.
NAR #92766