Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default Old Grey Whistle Test - BBC, 60's rock... WOW!!!

YORS,

I have a co-worker who is in his 60's, ex-surfer and still smokes weed ...

... anyways, we were talking music and how I love the 60's, early 70's music.

I personally believe the musicians of that era were actually trying to convey messages first, and thinking about multi-million dollar contracts last.

Scott, my co-worker was at Woodstock (he can't remember what actually happened because he was strung out) and at the 1968 Monterey Pop fest and saw Joplin, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Santana with his own eyes and heard with his own ears ... oh how I envy him in that way.

Well anyways, he turned me on to youtube and the BBC's 1960's/70's show,
'Old Grey Whistle Test', and my oh my the acts and talent that show had 30, 40 some years ago!

Just point your browser here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ogwt&page=1

Make sure you have hours and hours of listening time because you will need it!

I am very impressed! I had no idea such a show existed like this outside of American Bandstand and Soul Train. I guess I learn something new everyday

Jonathan
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Most of the American Bandstand and Soul Train "performances" were faked. They would be comparable to the BBC's "Top of the Pops". "The Old Gray Whistle Test" was mostly live from what I've seen, and would be comparable to "The Midnight Special" and "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert". Those were the cool shows.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Launching since 1970.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Master Modeler

I have to agree with you Jonathan. The music was better. JA was and is one of my favorite bands. Still listen to them today.

If you've never heard about them, in between Airplane and Starship, Kantner and Slick released three albums: XM something (memory is going), Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun and Sunfighters. XM was good. Baron Von Tollbooth is one of my— if not alltime—favorite albums. Gamble ten bucks and buy it. Then listen to it a few times and see if you don't agree that it's a seriously overlooked piece of music. Allstar cast on that album as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
I have to agree with you Jonathan. The music was better. JA was and is one of my favorite bands. Still listen to them today.

If you've never heard about them, in between Airplane and Starship, Kantner and Slick released three albums: XM something (memory is going), Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun and Sunfighters. XM was good. Baron Von Tollbooth is one of my— if not alltime—favorite albums. Gamble ten bucks and buy it. Then listen to it a few times and see if you don't agree that it's a seriously overlooked piece of music. Allstar cast on that album as well.

I'll give it a listen....I'm somewhat of a rock history buff, still have a vinyl collection and am always looking for an excuse to add a few more pieces.

When I croak someone can chuck it all into the dumpster but for now I still get alot of enjoyment from it.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Master Modeler

You won't regret it.

I need to find someone to fix my two receivers. I've got a Marantz and a next to top of the line Pioneer. The left channel on both of them are shot. Those tube receivers have a sound that digital just can't duplicate.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Master Modeler

I can remember listening to pirate radio in England in the early sixties. Caroline and Luxembourg; just to get past the toady BBC playlists. John Peel was about the best thing to hit rock in the UK. OGWT brought rock to the TV and acts that never would have made it to TOTP because of the pure pop theme of the show. As an aside, you an find the recordings of the show (audio at least) on the BBC Radio website. Also rumour had it that Bob Harris would host a contmeporary review of some of the classic programmes.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Lot's of crappy old arena rock on there, coupled with some truly amazing, groundbreaking stuff. My favorite was when the NY Dolls playing a smoking white-hot rendition of Jet Boy and the old fart on the show wrote off the song as "mock rock".
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Master Modeler

It is hard to believe that from the same country we get great bands like the Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. and we get Kaja Goo Goo and Boy George! What happened??
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
It is hard to believe that from the same country we get great bands like the Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. and we get Kaja Goo Goo and Boy George! What happened??
chrism,

Every crop of kids wants to try something new.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014