Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Cardstock Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Paper Rockets

I found a link on this forum to a site with some paper rocket plans. Had a little down time so put this one together today.

I noticed the piece between the cone and the body wasn't quite right (notice the red lines don't line up), and the cone itself was too small, I had to make my own. Otherwise, this was pretty fun and easy. I can't imagine launching something like this, but I suppose it's possible? I think I'll make a few more, I just like the way they look.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
I can't imagine launching something like this, but I suppose it's possible? I think I'll make a few more, I just like the way they look.

Looks good. Go ahead and launch! My son built a large Little Joe II model and a Black Brant II model from paper and card stock. Both fly quite well.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM
focused procrastinator

the lower hudson valley challenger gift center has some great free downloads that can be made as flyers. I posted a link several months ago in the cardstock section, it may still be there.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
I can't imagine launching something like this, but I suppose it's possible? I think I'll make a few more, I just like the way they look.

Oh, it's possible, I launched two today!
Sometimes the rolled body tubes are a little weak, I usually make body wraps that roll over BT-5 and BT-20 tubes.
If you make your fins in a three ply of 110 cardstock/cereal box cardboard/110 lb. cardstock they are surprisingly strong.

Here's the link to my blog to see some downscales I've drawn up:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...-and-plans.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Launch 6.28.11 023_WEB.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  63.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Launch 6.28.11 018_WEB.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  245.1 KB  

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
I noticed the piece between the cone and the body wasn't quite right (notice the red lines don't line up), and the cone itself was too small, I had to make my own. Otherwise, this was pretty fun and easy. I can't imagine launching something like this, but I suppose it's possible? I think I'll make a few more, I just like the way they look.

I'm guessing you probably had "fit to paper size" checked in your printer interface. You want to be sure to turn that off. And, yes, I fly paper rockets all the time. I even use them in competition (they are surprisingly competitive). I also like paper rockets because they are really inexpensive to build. My models usually cost less than the cost of a single T motor from Estes!

For cheap components, look for 1/8" elastic cord from any sewing supply store (Joanne's, WalMart, etc). I like Target sacks for parachutes - they make a nice chute the equivalent of an Estes chute. If you want a motor clip, you can straighten a paper clip and use that.

Greg
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I noticed the piece between the cone and the body wasn't quite right (notice the red lines don't line up), and the cone itself was too small,
It was correct when I sent it. Notice the red lines are fine on my model and the cone fits just fine.

I'm guessing that Greg is right and "Fit To Page" was used. Those pages are pretty tight and I have to set the margins to zero on "Page Setup" to get them to print full size. The nose was on a separate page and probably printed full size without having to mess with the margins.

Quote:
I can't imagine launching something like this, but I suppose it's possible?

I have flown my Satellite Interceptor several times without any damage. It flys great on 1/2A3-4T and A3-4T.

The Spacemaster was the Centuri version of the same model and was only different in paint scheme and canopy nose cone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  S.I._1.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  68.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  S.I._3.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  54.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Spacemaster_2.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  95.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Spacemaster_3.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  45.6 KB  
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
I'm guessing you probably had "fit to paper size" checked in your printer interface. You want to be sure to turn that off. And, yes, I fly paper rockets all the time. I even use them in competition (they are surprisingly competitive). I also like paper rockets because they are really inexpensive to build. My models usually cost less than the cost of a single T motor from Estes!

For cheap components, look for 1/8" elastic cord from any sewing supply store (Joanne's, WalMart, etc). I like Target sacks for parachutes - they make a nice chute the equivalent of an Estes chute. If you want a motor clip, you can straighten a paper clip and use that.

Greg

Thanks for the advice. I thought I had double checked the paper size scaling, but it's possible one sheet was set to fit to paper. Guess I'll have to build another one!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I'm guessing that Greg is right and "Fit To Page" was used. Those pages are pretty tight and I have to set the margins to zero on "Page Setup" to get them to print full size. The nose was on a separate page and probably printed full size without having to mess with the margins.

Ya - When I do my paper rocket layouts, I usually use a 7.5" x 10" page so I can leave 1/2" around all sides for margins. A lot of printers don't need that much room, but a few that might still be in use are. Of course, the downside is that that means my tubes can't be any longer than 10" long, but if everyone can print the file it's a small price to pay.

Greg
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
It was correct when I sent it. Notice the red lines are fine on my model and the cone fits just fine.

I have flown my Satellite Interceptor several times without any damage. It flys great on 1/2A3-4T and A3-4T.

The Spacemaster was the Centuri version of the same model and was only different in paint scheme and canopy nose cone.

Thanks for the plans, and engine suggestions. I'm sure I must have printed at different scales, yours look great!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Ya - When I do my paper rocket layouts, I usually use a 7.5" x 10" page so I can leave 1/2" around all sides for margins. A lot of printers don't need that much room, but a few that might still be in use are. Of course, the downside is that that means my tubes can't be any longer than 10" long, but if everyone can print the file it's a small price to pay.

Greg
I went and looked and the first page is 7.5" X 10" but whenever I go to print anything, I get a .75" margin all around by default. I then set them all to zero and it resets them to the smallest margin the printer allows which is .25" on the sides and .07" on thr top and .5" on the bottom. The second page was 6" X 6" so would print without any adjusting.

When I first started making cardstock rockets, I was just making what I wanted for myself so I had a starting template that I used which was 7.99" X 10.43" which was the largest that my printer could do. But then people starting asking for the files and I would email them and a few people told me they were to big for their printer to handle.

I switched to 7.5" X 10" later on. My original USS Atlantis downscale fit on one sheet but I had to go to 2 sheets when I went to the smaller sized layout.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member

Last edited by Bob H : 06-29-2011 at 09:09 PM.