Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Here are test swatches of the three oranges in this discussion. The testors actually looks a little pink in comparison. I much prefer the Cub Orange and the Model Masters International Orange - but everyone is saying that the Testors Competition Orange is the actual match to the original Estes Testors International Orange Dope.

Comments?

Thanks, Ben

[IMG]international orange options[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  international orange.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  694.6 KB  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Old BAR

The MM International Orange for the legs, The Testors Competition Orange spray for the cardstock 'supports.'

Or vice versa!

Though I have never done the legs in a contrast, I like Jeff's suggestion and will try it the next time I build one. I do have one to restore, though...hmmmm.

Allen
Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I like the MM Inter Orange the best as well, I just can't go two color!! I think the original paint scheme was not two tone and I'm trying to be as original as possible.

I do think two tone will look good though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
The MM International Orange for the legs, The Testors Competition Orange spray for the cardstock 'supports.'

Or vice versa!

Though I have never done the legs in a contrast, I like Jeff's suggestion and will try it the next time I build one. I do have one to restore, though...hmmmm.

Allen
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

On my personal ML's I ALWAYS use plain old Testors "RED" spray. Not the 'bright red', the PLAIN red.

If one looks at the Estes catalogued models, they are NOT two-tone in the catalogs, and they are NOT orange either. The legs are RED.

If you insist on using orange, I would use the Aero Gloss Cub Orange.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Old Submariner

Yes, I don't think the legs became multi-colored until Semroc did the Retro/Repro kit.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Scale builder

This may help. Page 2 (First page of colors)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Federal Standard 595 Paint Spec[1].pdf (272.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

That is a good reference. Most hobby paint lines such as Testors Model Master contain many of the popular FS colors most commonly used. Good luck trying to find these colors in rattle cans, except those put out by hobby paint manufacturers.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM
BAR

FWIW, the gift shop at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge sells 8 oz cans of the International Orange used for the bridge. I would have bought one, but not for $12!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 08-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Craftsman

Most likely the cost of $12 per pint is related to the Salt Water Resistance makeup of the paint, and aiding in funding the bridge's next painting.
As for color prior to 1972, laquers contained leads and chromates, meaning priming and sealing wasn't necessary and you could put color over bare metal if properly etched.
The word "International" brings to mind International Harvestore, a Tractor color.
The Lead and Chromeates in the paint altered the color by levels of each for each batch.
Tan and Dark Orange were implimented in the 70's to the IH Tractors, also switching to Enamels that were baked on by radiant heat.
It's only a guess, but look up 1970 IH colors and you might just find a number.
My summers in the late 60's to late 70's were spent behind an H making hay on farms.
Individual farms existed plenty still back then, unlike today.
The Family Farm is all but extinct.
The Farm I worked on as a youngster, and the fields I flew my rockets, and still do today, is still a family owned farm. However, both Man and wife work full time jobs to keep it.
The family farm is no longer self supportive, Unfortunately.
At least not based on the 80 acre's it use to be with 10 acres of maple woods for sap and firewood.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I was never fortunate enough to have one of the original Mars Landers, but grabbed a couple Outlanders when they came out. I was never sure why Estes had chosen such awful colors and decals for it, so I decided to build mine like a Mars Lander. And then I found out that Excelsior had "Mars Lander-like" decal sets for the Outlander. (This Outlander is heavily modified with styrene panels, add-ons from other plastic models, and a 24mm motor mount.)

I had always thought the Mars Lander color scheme was white body and red legs. But for some reason I went with Testors Light Aircraft Gray. The legs are some flat red I had at the time. The build on the right is the Semroc Mars Lander, started a couple years ago, and then shelved with a lot of other projects. For this project I chose Testors Competition Orange,which is close in color to how I remember the Estes International Orange. I still have not decided if I will go with a white body, or stick with the light gray, since I tend to kind of go off the rails at times on "standard" color schemes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  OL-ML legs.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  90.0 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp