Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Craftsman

Talking I'm curious

All together everyone.........Hi Bruce!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Distant cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Temple
Houston.......we have a collection problem. Hi my names Bruce, and I'm a addict........
Bruce, you are just like the rest of us. Your only problem is a storage problem! Get those kits off the floor...

Last edited by Skippy : 08-26-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Temple
Houston.......we have a collection problem. Hi my names Bruce, and I'm a addict........

Are you just selling of "extras" on eBay? I noticed you have some items up there for sale.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Victory Is Mine!

Send a message via AIM to Bruce Temple

Yep, dups & rocketry things I don't collect too. Got some real nice pre damon kits to come.
It's been a good year for picking up some rocketry lots for me, but thats with a major effort. It's getting more and more unusual to find cheap lots, as It's drying up out there, as for old sealed kits. I've noticed prices are rising on single skill level kits & built ups quite a bit.

Been collecting Estes & Centuri since 03. Last kit inventory was 05, so it's time. Estes next. I'm dreading the tabulating, but it's nice to fondle the old kits........ahhhhhhhh.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Re-BAR

I was just going through my "stock". Haven't looked at it for a while. I'm not really a collector as such, I only buy things I would like to build, which is mostly "scale" Estes kits, or their bigger suff. I tried to clean up in 2003, and naturally the big bites were on some of my favorites which I have regretted selling (strangely, the guy I sold them to died a week after I mailed them, he never even saw them AFAIK, so take a lesson if you ever see me try to sell anything again...).

I guess my question is: do people still want the old versions of Estes kits that have been reissued? I can see it for classics, but how about things like V2, DR Tomahawk, Mercury Redstone etc.? Like, I have 3 versions of the V2 that are really pretty much the same but have different numbers. Unfortunately I suppose, I have spare copies of the oldest versions of most kits, so those would be the ones I'd most likely build, though it might make sense to build the newer versions if people still wanted the older ones. Now that I know about this forum, it would make sense to ask here before I open/build anything JIC some collector wants the old version; for building it doesn't matter.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Me personally, I'm a builder, if I get something, it doesnt sit in a box hoping to make some sort of financial gain, I get it and BUILD IT!! I dont care how rare or desirable a perfectly sealed never creased hang tag kit is getting on E-Blah. Kits are meant to be built! if its old, I do my best to make sure it's built original, but I hate to see collectors hoard up old kits trying to make a buck. Otherwise this hobby is going to wind up being a rich mans game, and working class people wont be able to get thier favorite old kits. It really sucks to see what god awful prices people are gouging at on E-Blah. I miss the good old days of kit trading with your buddies to get the one you want. Call me crazy, but just remember folks,THEY ARE NOT DIAMONDS, ITS CARDBOARD TUBES, PLASTIC AND BALSA! Just my 2 cent rant.........

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Re-BAR

I don't think most people are necessarily aiming for financial gain. In my case I got my kits before Estes started doing so many reissues. I fully intended to build them, but work/etc. intervened, just didn't have the time to do these generally expensive kits justice. Estes was mostly releasing crap in those days (90s), nothing with any challenge or of much interest. Not many clones yet. So people were trying to snap up the good stuff because it didn't look good for the future. When Estes started re-releasing some old favorites, they were often VERY hard to get, people who could were snapping up multiple copies. Many never even made it to Canada (where I am). What I'm saying here is, some people may have accumulated a fair stock "by accident", a case of getting what you want when you can, not with any other intent.

If you're not a collector, then belittling people who are seems like a threadcrap. I'm not a collector, but do appreciate that some people get joy out of it. And I don't want to purposely destroy what may have some value to others. I hardly think most people here would have their lives changed by getting an extra $10k (say) from liquidating a collection, and that would be a pretty large collection, so we have to put things into perspective. That would likely be the depreciation on an average new car in just a few years or less.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

I'm not against collecting things, by any means, I am a collector too, but the things I collect dont sit in a bag never to be assembled. My point was that if you collect rockets, at least BUILD THEM!! I just have a bad feeling for the people who are greedy with what they have, take for instance the thread speaking about the person trying to sell the shuttle kit for over $200. That person is OBVIOUSLY trying to just make a buck.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Re-BAR

Ah OK, got it. I know just what you mean about greedy people. It annoys lots of people, especially when greedy (or ignorant or misinformed??) sellers keep relisting and relisting (at no extra charge) the same thing, eventually hoping to catch a sucker. OTOH, there are a LOT of people with more money than time who will pay a high price just so they can "move on"... And some people actually fall for the eBay selling strategy of over-pricing something that isn't dirt-common to make it seem more desirable.

As mentioned, I only buy stuff I would like to build. Building is the intention, but you know what they say about intentions. There was a time when the model rocket industry seemed so moribund that many thought Estes etc. may not even survive. Luckily things have changed drastically since then in many ways, but I really did believe, at one time, that there may not be many of the type of kits I like around much longer. The forum header is missing some of my favorite brands but is still evidence of some of those no longer around. Anyway, that's my excuse...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Master Modeler

Collect? What would I do with 200 Estes kits sitting around? If I wanted to collect items that would be worth money someday, it sure as heck wouldn't be a model rocket. I just bought a Delux Der Red Max, and I intend on building it as soon as I get done with my Sandpiper. My dad collects old Comics and to this day I wonder what he is going to do with them.