Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 PM
BAR

Default Not rockets, but funny... :)

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Was that your daughter? Pretty nice swing mechanics.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:20 PM
BAR

Yep... she was practicing in the batting cages with Coach Rennie, who you can see (his arm anyway) tossing balls from behind the "safety" of the pitching net thing... She does a couple lessons a month with him and a couple a month pitching with Coach Callie, who was pitching for the Needville HS softball team when they won state a few years ago, and she's got her degree and is their softball coach now...

Coach Rennie played college baseball and whats funny is Keira is already taller than he is, and she's a seventh grader. He told her flat out she needs to get ready to be a first baseman, because of her height advantage... He's slightly jealous of her height already...

I usually try to record some of her practices on my smart phone in "slo-mo" mode, so we can play it back later and show her what she's doing right and wrong... Coach likes to see the replays on some stuff and go over it with her. I filmed for awhile from the opposite side of the plate from her (outside the cage of course) and I've found that *IF* I get the camera close enough to the wire I can film through the wire without having the grid of wire on the screen. I went to the opposite end of the cages for some shots and of course the wire was pretty beat up and stretched out of shape from all the hits over the years, so I finally found a spot where I could film and see through the wire, while still being behind it. Unfortunately for me I was only about less than an inch behind the wire, and she hit this one straight at me, and the ball slapped the wire hard enough to smack the wire into my hands, and send the phone cartwheeling to the concrete face down. You can just hear the "AAaaaRRR!" when my hands were hit before the camera shut off on impact... LOL Of course that's in the unedited version of about 3 or 4 minutes of batting practice.

At least I didn't catch this one with my mouth! Last summer Keira and I were out practicing, mostly playing catch, and she was throwing "all over the map" so I kept making smart remarks to her, "What, you throwing to Andre the Giant standing behind me??" on the over throws and then she'd throw to my ankles and I'm like, "You throwing to the midget between my feet?" So she gets mad and the next throw is laser-straight right to the center of my chest, or so I thought... I had my glove up to catch it and had just enough time to think "oh, sh!t" when I realized my glove was too low and it slammed right into my mouth... That'll ring your bell lemme tell ya... I felt the blood and spun around, and traced my teeth with my tongue feeling for ones knocked out or broken, finding none and everything in place and feeling a bit dizzy and not wanting to fall over face first onto the ground, I dropped to my knees and bent over... Keira thought she'd killed me... but other than a swollen lip I was fine.

Not the recommended percedure though... LOL

Later! OL J R