Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Craftsman

Default Smithsonian Air and Space museum

If you have not been to the Air and Space (Website) in a while, check it out, they have posted a large amount of G.H. Stines collection. Search- collections- model rockets.

Last edited by JohnNGA : 11-28-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Air and Space site

Thanks for mentioning this site. For some reason, I never searched it for "model rockets." Guess I just thought they had the big stuff. Several fascinating things relating to Carlisle, and a lot of other really esoteric material. They even have a first model Krueger motor! (If I didn't OWN one of the original Krueger kits and two or three of their motors, I would have trouble believing that such a thing was ever marketed. Not to mention the fact that anyone, i.e., me, would have spent money on it.)

Anyway, a fantastic site, worth a few minutes, or maybe hours, of any old rocketeer's time.

I did find the search function to be a bit eratic and frustrating, but that may be more due to my old wood-burning computer than to the website itself.

Thanks again,

the Fireman
Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Craftsman

Yeah, the search does seem to jump around a little. When you think all the model rocket items have been posted, it pops up more. I remember a lot of those companies, RDC, Central Rocket Supply- used to buy micro grain supplies from them, Coaster...not familiar with Krueger. I think it is neat to see all the European motors.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

I learned that MMI created an aluminum model rocket engine....very interesting.

http://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...id=A19930466000

Terry Dean
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Thanks for mentioning this site. For some reason, I never searched it for "model rockets." Guess I just thought they had the big stuff. Several fascinating things relating to Carlisle, and a lot of other really esoteric material. They even have a first model Krueger motor! (If I didn't OWN one of the original Krueger kits and two or three of their motors, I would have trouble believing that such a thing was ever marketed. Not to mention the fact that anyone, i.e., me, would have spent money on it.)

Anyway, a fantastic site, worth a few minutes, or maybe hours, of any old rocketeer's time.

I did find the search function to be a bit eratic and frustrating, but that may be more due to my old wood-burning computer than to the website itself.

Thanks again,

the Fireman

Used to have "Amish internet" so I know what you mean!

Later! OL JR
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

When i have some time, maybe this weekend, I am going back to the A&S site and look around some more. Who know what might still be lurking there?

It is fascinating to see those European motors. Most of them I have never seen before. The Krueger motors were, come to think of it, very much like some of the early European motors. The motor casings were 16 or 20 ga high brass shotgun shells. They were filled with an unknown propellant that was white and burned with a lot of white smoke. (I wondered if it might be some variant of the KNO3/sucrose mix, but it was not carmelized like the old "carmel candy" propellant was. Fairly dense, it was probably pressed into the shell, maybe with the aid of a solvent of somekind. There was no delay train and no ejection charge. When I have some time, I will post a picture of one of the motors, and when ever I am back home again, a picture of their first kit with it's remarkable recovery system.)

I continue to be amazed at the things I am finding in the Forum, and the wonderful sources of information you are all helping me find.

the Fireman

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
Yeah, the search does seem to jump around a little. When you think all the model rocket items have been posted, it pops up more. I remember a lot of those companies, RDC, Central Rocket Supply- used to buy micro grain supplies from them, Coaster...not familiar with Krueger. I think it is neat to see all the European motors.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Good heavens! This is a new one to me. Would love to find out the story behind it.

Thanks fir pointing this one out. None of my searches at the A&S site turned This one up...

the Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I learned that MMI created an aluminum model rocket engine....very interesting.

http://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...id=A19930466000

Terry Dean