Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 06:44 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Bugs And Issues

I'm going to start this thread here, instead of in the BARCLONE section. We use it for our design work, but it isn't a BARCLONE project, so I think this should be a more general thread.

Bug: When double-clicking on a RKT file, RockSim starts to open but crashes during or before the application is ready.

Status: Was said to be fixed in Build 9.0.2 F72. Build still crashes on both XP and Vista.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Just another BAR!

Post Rocksim - Bugs and Issues

Note: The following are issues or "bugs" I've encountered working with Rocksim v9. (including the latest - Build 9.0.2 F72)

I post these here in hopes of helping to identify and fix outstanding issues in order to help make a great piece of software even better!

Found issues and bugs:

1. CSV Part File Issues

- General clean up of default CSV files (i.e. wrong material type, etc.)

- Extraneous Field / Columns found in CSV files.

- Question marks ("?") located in CSV file data.

- Inconsistent use of words (ie. oz, mm, cone, ogive) versus codes (ie. 0, 1, 0, 2) in CSV files.

2. Data Import Function - "Yes to All" and "No to All" options do not work. One must select yes or no for each imported part in question.

3. Program crashes when launching Rocksim (.rkt) file directly from Windows Explorer either by double clicking or opening from right-click content menu. (Known & Previously Identified Issue)

4. Most Recent Files list under File Menu does not update once max limit number of files are in list.

5. Cancel button on "Rocksim Database Import" dialog does not work. You need to use the "X" button in upper right window title bar to close diaglog.

6. Selecting "Rotate Around R and S Axis" options causes 3D object to change shape. (i.e. fin shape)

7. The option button graphics in the Cluster Wizard appear to be too small. (Minor)

8. Rocksim does not maintain or remember window positions. User must reset every single time window or dialog is opened.

9. Min / Max buttons should be enabled on all program windows and dialogs.

10. Option to export 2D image "top view" is missing. Only side and base views are currently available.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Is Apogee aware of all these issues, and dealing with them? I have not bought Rocksim yet, but I'm getting an uneasy feeling about purchasing the new version until things calm down.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Is Apogee aware of all these issues, and dealing with them? I have not bought Rocksim yet, but I'm getting an uneasy feeling about purchasing the new version until things calm down.

I can say with certainty, yes, they're aware of the issues and are working on them. I also know there's at least one issue where Vista is contributing to the problem. The program is currently in a condition where you can get something accomplished, and not have the program crash out from under you. Most of these problems that remain are peripheral, not main-line. I'd get a copy now, and just keep installing the latest packages as Apogee makes them available. They're doing this often enough to make it worthwhile.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Just another BAR!

Thumbs up

I completely agree with Craig on this question. Version 9 of Rocksim is stable and a really great program to use.

I think the great number of new designs developed and posted here on YORF specifically using Rocksim v9 are a testament to that fact.

Most if not all problems have been reported in order to get them on the fix list. While a couple of the problems are annoying in nature most are cosmetic or cleanup type issues.

This thread was created as a means of documenting and tracking these fixes in the hope of helping to make a good program even better!

As an example of the power and versatility of Rocksim v9, I've attached a couple of images of a boost glider design study I've been working on using the software and some of its new features.

... Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FR2 Boom Tail.PNG
Views: 125
Size:  114.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FR2 V-Tail.PNG
Views: 97
Size:  132.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FR2 Semi V-Tail 1.PNG
Views: 102
Size:  118.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Falcon Rocket Racer Update.PNG
Views: 106
Size:  124.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Falcon Rocket Racer Update with T-Tail.PNG
Views: 106
Size:  133.5 KB  
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I can say with certainty, yes, they're aware of the issues and are working on them. I also know there's at least one issue where Vista is contributing to the problem. The program is currently in a condition where you can get something accomplished, and not have the program crash out from under you. Most of these problems that remain are peripheral, not main-line. I'd get a copy now, and just keep installing the latest packages as Apogee makes them available. They're doing this often enough to make it worthwhile.

Well, like or hate it, Vista ain't going nowhere, so I REALLY hope they get on the ball and fix the glitches and issues it has when running on Vista machines... I wanted XP but couldn't get it... so what can you do?? Sadly Vista is here to stay... OL JR
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Well, like or hate it, Vista ain't going nowhere, so I REALLY hope they get on the ball and fix the glitches and issues it has when running on Vista machines... I wanted XP but couldn't get it... so what can you do?? Sadly Vista is here to stay... OL JR

Thing is, they need to get the software working on Vista now, since Windows 7 is only going to be Vista with some changed cosmetics. Under the hood, they're basically the same.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Thing is, they need to get the software working on Vista now, since Windows 7 is only going to be Vista with some changed cosmetics. Under the hood, they're basically the same.

Sounds like I'll have a few less worries, I'm running XP. Upgraded to an HP 22" widescreen, so this computer has plenty of power and features to keep me going for a few more years.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Way Olde Timer

Thumbs up ( Minor Problems List)++

The only other annoying issue for me in Rocksim v9 is the fact that it tells me I've changed the design file when closing, even when nothing has been changed, and/or I've just finished a 'SAVE' file command action.

Even this one more issue is MINOR compared to the new power of pods and fins-on-fins.
If everyone can help clean up the database component files (like SEMROC seems to be doing) then you can real easily do you own parts lists ordering.

btw, I am on XP still, and most of the nits listed are there in XP too. But I may begin to lobby for the LINUX port, since Microsoft IS the new evil empire..
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprague
The only other annoying issue for me in Rocksim v9 is the fact that it tells me I've changed the design file when closing, even when nothing has been changed, and/or I've just finished a 'SAVE' file command action.

Agree, this is an annoyance, but one I can live with for now. There are other problems that are more critical, like the inability to double-click a RKT file and have RS open correctly...

Quote:
If everyone can help clean up the database component files (like SEMROC seems to be doing) then you can real easily do you own parts lists ordering.

Have you downloaded all of the files we've posted HERE for SEMROC components? We've put practically every component in Carl's catalog into the RS CSV database format, and only a few need to be worked up differently.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635