Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Manufacturer

Default NAR S&T Certifies High-Power ‘G’ Reload for AeroTech RMS-29/40-120 Motor

AeroTech Information Release

8/17/10

NAR S&T Certifies High-Power ‘G’ Reload for AeroTech RMS-29/40-120 Motor

The National Association of Rocketry (NAR) Standards & Testing (S&T) Committee has certified a new high-power reload for AeroTech’s Reloadable Motor System™ (RMS™) 29/40-120 motor hardware.

The HP-G138T-14A is AeroTech’s first “high-power” reload for its popular RMS-29/40-120 “model rocket” motor hardware. It is a “high-power” motor due to a propellant weight exceeding 62.5 grams and an average thrust exceeding 80 newtons. The HP-G138T-14A designation includes the prefix “HP-” in anticipation of new National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) labeling requirements that will become mandatory upon approval of the next revision of NFPA 1125, “Code for the Manufacture of Model Rocket and High Power Rocket Motors”, which clearly designates ‘G’ motors with certain physical and performance characteristics as high-power. It features a “linerless” design with a single long propellant grain and uses AeroTech’s new Blue Thunder™ propellant which produces a beautiful blue exhaust jet studded with prominent “mach diamonds”. The HP-G138T-14A will be available in a 14 second delay time which is intended to be adjusted using a 1/4” drill bit or AeroTech’s new delay drilling tool, which is scheduled to be released shortly.

The NAR’s certified total impulse for the HP-G138T-14A is 157.1 N-sec, nearly a full ‘G’ class. The time-thrust curve is an unusual “progressive” style with an initial thrust of approximately 20 pounds at ignition that gradually rises to a peak thrust of nearly 43 pounds near burnout. Other statistics include a burn time of 1.1 seconds, an average thrust of 138 newtons, a peak thrust of 190.1 newtons, propellant mass of 70.4 grams and an initial mass of 148 grams. The delivered specific impulse (Isp) of the HP-G138T-14A is 227.6 seconds. It may be used in most rocket kits designed for 29 X 124mm motors including all AeroTech kits.

The HP-G138T-14A reload kit will be available from AeroTech’s authorized dealer network at a suggested retail price of $18.99 each. Being a high-power motor, it may only be sold to those consumers 18 years of age or older possessing a NAR or Tripoli “Level 1” certification. AeroTech is accepting orders for the HP-G138T-14A now and anticipates dealer shipments to begin in approximately 2 weeks. The HP-G138T-14A is being submitted to the California Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) for approval of sale & use in California.

Motor instructions, an assembly drawing and the official NAR certification document for the HP-G138T-14A are now available for download in PDF format from the AeroTech Resource Library at http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace has a page on Facebook! Follow the very latest AeroTech news, information, product developments and testing at http://www.facebook.com/pages/AeroT...ce/159005948954

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace is a division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc., Cedar City, UT.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com
Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Master Modeler

Nice! I have a few rockets that this motor will certainly give a good ride!
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Master Modeler

Will the reload come with a thin, metallic metal sticker so that the reload case can be relabeled "RMS-29/40-157"?

I'm getting re-certified next month, so I'll be able to buy this reload.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Now if we could just get a BP SU motor manufacturer to come out with 25% of the new motors (that customers are ASKING for) Aerotech does on a yearly basis we would be all set.
I can think of at least a half-dozen BP SU motors from not ONE but TWO companies that have been announced well over a year ago that we still do not have in our hands.
I think at least two of them are no-question headed to PURE VAPORWARE.
I have a real pet-peeve with companies that announce something then keep perpetually moving the delivery date.
Some companies are MUCH more likely to do this repeatedly than others.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroTech
The HP-G138T-14A will be available in a 14 second delay time which is intended to be adjusted using a 1/4” drill bit or AeroTech’s new delay drilling tool, which is scheduled to be released shortly.
Now that's smart. I'd like to see all the hobby thru 38mm HPR (& higher, if applicable) go to nothing but longs. It makes so much more sense.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroTech
The NAR’s certified total impulse for the HP-G138T-14A is 157.1 N-sec, nearly a full ‘G’ class.
Didn't this start out as a baby H?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

I think Gary Rosenfield said over on "NARAM Live" that they made two versions of this; one was this G138 at 157 n-sec and another that was a 162 n-sec Baby-H that he described as a "bit" more energetic. He did not expand on that so I don't know if it was more failure prone or tended to wear on the case, or what. He mentioned the one that was being submitted is this G138. The only problem I see with this one is that it is a single grain that is over 70 grams. Would have been nicer to have 3 grains all under 30 grams so that it would be USPS mailable w/o hazmat BALONEY. As this stands this will cost more than an H128 or all the other small HP H motors due to the fact those are mailable USPS w/o hazmat. See that it has to be classified as a high-power motor per some mamby-pamby CPSC/NFPA reg due to 80+ newton avg thrust and 62.5gr+ prop.wt.
Now that the ATF case is over maybe someone will take on CPSC/NFPA to butt their stinkin' snoots out of our bizzness and hobby rocketry altogether as well. We need them like one needs a dog-sled in the Bahamas.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Now that the ATF case is over maybe someone will take on CPSC/NFPA to butt their stinkin' snoots out of our bizzness and hobby rocketry altogether as well. We need them like one needs a dog-sled in the Bahamas.

What I would like to see is for the various codes and regulations to harmonize so that all motors G and below are considered model rocket motors, with exceptions like hybrids and sparkies which have good reason to be treated differently.

We have a field which allows up to G power (and thankfully, we are also allowed to cluster two G motors.) But the advent of these high thrust, short burning motors has resulted in a minefield for launch organizers. Average thrust 80 n or below can fly at model rocket safety code separation distances, but a high thrust G or even the new F240 requires high power distances in addition to having to check for user certification. The new HP prefix will help a bit in identifying these special cases, but it will be difficult to catch all of them.

Bill
Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Space Cowboy

This is a VERY nice full "G" motor

>>The time-thrust curve is an unusual “progressive” style

Most all composite motors in the 80s, had this progressive style before bates grains came popular in 91. The other popular style was the C-slot motor. OK someone else had published square wave thrust curves, but I doubt they were ever verified <duck>

There is a lot of reasons G motors can be hi-power that will stay; CPSC being one of them. So lets just enjoy the fact that adults can enjoy any G motor lower then 80ns average thrust, because back then, as in the 80s, when all G motors were HPR.

Soon we hope the 62.6 gram limit will be increased to the FAA maxum to be in alignment. This could happen with the NFPA revisions.

If the grains were cut into three, we would not have that nice 80s style super kewl progressive burn
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Used to be high-power was a wink-wink activity that the CPSC had ZERO knowledge of and additionally kept their dammed snoots out of HOBBY activities.
If it was up to ME, it would be a what-you-want, where-you-want, how-you-want FREE FOR ALL, ALL THE TIME with next to ZIP for regulations including all research-motor activity.

Short of that I'd like to see ALL H motors (same as a cluster of two G-anythings) and under NO MATTER the average thrust be classified as model rocket motors. High power would be "I" and above and once one passes what is equivalent to Level ONE cert now, one would be allowed to fly ANY commercially produced OR research motor. No more of this L1-L2-L3 crap.