Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Craftsman

Default President's Day Launch

We had a great launch on Monday. There was virtually no breeze and the temps were perfect. Here are some we sent up:

~ The Quest Terrier-Orion was launched twice on a C6-5. Unfortunately it wasn't very stable -- it did wide corkscrew turns going up. The second launch resulted in a broken fin.

~ My two-stage scratch Red Max flew perfectly. The booster stage helicoptered down sideways (like a water wheel) very slowly as if I'd planned it that way.

~ Scratch BT-55 with a 24mm MMT that I call the Maelstrom. It flew perfectly on a C11 and a D12.

~ My Goonified rockets, the Goblin and the Guzzler, flew great on D12's but were lost on E9's. The Goblin came down in an inaccessible part of the desert. The Guzzler had a strange hang-up on the launch rod and came off at an angle. The angle was siginificant enough to send it too great of a distance away.

~ My Sky Devil upscale and Big Red White & Blue Max downscale both flew great on D12's and E9's. The Max popped a fin but that has already been repaired.

~ The last one was most exciting. It was built from the remnants of an old Estes Phoenix. Based on what I'd learned on this site I was worried that it wouldn't be stable. Turns out I was right. It went up under power of an E9. It went up about 100-150 feet and arced over towards the ground. It then curved away until it was horizontal about 50 feet off the ground. It flew horizontal for some distance before burying itself about 4 inches in the ground. I'll post a picture of the wreckage when I take one.

Needless to say it was a great day all around!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  01_Terrier_Orion_01.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  40.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  02_Red_Max_05.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  64.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  03_Maelstrom_01.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  47.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  04_Goblin01.jpg