Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
Really? I have Aleene's in my glue repertoire but never thought of trying it for grab-prone parts. I've been using epoxy instead for these, somewhat reluctantly. I had a motor mount to go install this morning when I found this message... a TTW design so it needed to be lined up carefully. I tried the Aleene's. No grabbing problems during the installation. Admittedly not the tightest centering rings I've ever used so maybe not so stringent a test. But I think I'll forego the epoxy in favor of Aleene's from here on, unless I find a reason not to. Thanks!

OK, I found a reason not to.

I'm building an Estes Ventris, and I used Aleene's for initial gluing of the motor mount. I had a hard time adjusting the position, not a good thing with TTW fins, but I did get it in place. I figured maybe I needed to apply the glue more heavily.

So when I went to glue the body tube coupler I made sure to use a liberal application of tacky glue. I shoved in the coupler to the midpoint mark, not too difficult. I paused for (literally) a second, and then tried to twist the coupler. It wouldn't budge. Nor would it go further in or out.

There was, however, lots of glue dripping down the inside of the body tube, which I cleaned up with a cotton swab taped to a stick.

This is about the same kind of grabbing behavior I've gotten with yellow glue or (modern formula) Elmer's Glue-All. I don't know why my results were so different from Bill's. Temperature, humidity, some other uncontrolled variable? Old glue? Mine's been around quite a while.

Anyway, I no longer trust the stuff. I consider myself lucky to have gotten both the coupler and especially the motor mount into the right positions. As of the other end of that coupler, I'm back to using epoxy on tight fit parts.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

We have been doing some focus groups lately. Give a total newbie a rocket and see what problems they encounter. E2X is desired by the manufacturer because it is the lowest cost method and assembly while non-trivial is at least engineered.

The paper and ply and plastic rockets USR specializes in has a different set of difficulties. The build is simpler but the fin attach feels like magic until you have done it a couple of times already.

The rockets with paper tubes and balsa fins are the most approachable overall. This is based on recent focus groups not my own biases, but all the years I taught rocketry classes in elementary school (5-6 grade) I always used Estes kits with balsa fins and standard engines. I like the Comet for example.

I think E2X was not focus grouped at all and the time delay to make manufacturing mods has measured in several years.

If you want a simple rocket for beginners, try something like an Alpha or Sizzler or whatever they call their longer BT-50 tube rockets these days. It's only a little more money and the larger size actually makes it easier to build. I went with BT-55 rockets to make it simpler still. Since I was offering a complete experience for 42 kids at a time shoved in 5 1 hour sessions I needed minimal problems along the way. That saved labor cost and that savings offset the slight cost differential at wholesale.

Jerry
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Bit of an old thread, but lately, with the Estes sales, I've bought the cosmic explorers at $4.25 or so, and they make a good rocket for kids... Larger BT's do help. Smaller ones, like those little horrible up aerospace kits. Avoid those. Too hard for kids and adults alike to build.

On the under 8 crowd, and when in a situation where the rockets need to be built in a single meeting (like cub scouts) I use the generic e2x and do the following:

I pre glue the shock cords and launch lugs
I pre slice the motor mount for the hook
I, too, cut up old motors to make thrust rings before they came with them.

The Generic is nice because, being white, all the kids have to do to decorate them is color them or put stickers on them. works great!

About the only change I would suggest is to put a 1/4" or longer shoulder on the fin can above the fins so you could use some foil tape (or any tape) to help secure it like the old Centuri Screaming Eagle's did.

Oh, It really needs a better name...
www.sssrocketry.com
SAM 0488
"Prefers Plastic Nose Cones"