Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Master Modeler

Default Estes 1972 Catalog question

I have some questions about the 1972 Estes catalog. Pages 28 and 29 have rockets I have never seen or have herd talked about. The Sandpiper looks like a Jayhawk. The XS-1 Space Shuttle?
The numbering system starting with 721-????. 72 is the year. 1 is for what? First model?
Can someone explain this?

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/72est028.html
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
I have some questions about the 1972 Estes catalog. Pages 28 and 29 have rockets I have never seen or have herd talked about. The Sandpiper looks like a Jayhawk. The XS-1 Space Shuttle?
The numbering system starting with 721-????. 72 is the year. 1 is for what? First model?

Those were the 'Coldpower' (freon) kits brought over from the Vashion Industries buyout around that time. Estes had a few of their own coldpower kits they added, but most all those on those catalog pages were the Vashion designs.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

The XS-1 and Sandpiper were in the catalog from 1972 to 1974.

In the 1973 catalog they were just listed as catalog nos. 5101 and 5125. Presumably the 721- prefix the year before indicated year 1972, 1st catalog of that year.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
The XS-1 and Sandpiper were in the catalog from 1972 to 1974.

In the 1973 catalog they were just listed as catalog nos. 5101 and 5125. Presumably the 721- prefix the year before indicated year 1972, 1st catalog of that year.

That's what I figured. Why does the four digit number do not show on JimZ's site?
The sandpiper was more or less a rocket that looks like the Jayhawk.

Also, what are the two rockets on the 1972 front cover above and below the number 3?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Master Modeler

The one above the 3 is a DOM, "Orbital Transport Laboratory", is it not?

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9136

Quote:
Also, what are the two rockets on the 1972 front cover above and below the number 3?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

Numbering system. Prior to 1973, Estes used a numbering system that was:

NNn-CCC-xx

where NN is the year it was introduced into a catalog
n is the edition of the catalog (in most cases, it was 1, but there were a few 2's and a rare 3)
CCC is a letter category, such as BT (body tube), K (kit), BNC (balsa nose cone) and so on.
xx is a number that has meaning within a category.

In the 1973 catalog, new items had a plain 4-digit number (probably tied to a computer system), while old items were stripped of the NNn. Eventually even those were converted to the 4-digit numbers and eventually expanded to 5-digit numbers. The old category and number were discarded for most items or moved to the description field. There were a few years where they junked the descriptions entirely, even for body tubes!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Propellants:

BP
APCP
Freon
KPCP
Water
Air.

The only reason freon worked as well as it did was it was awesome! It was made illegal as fast as possible.

The only reason APCP worked well as it did was it was awesome! It was attempted to be made illegal by ATF. Fail.

The only reason KPCP got as much attention as it did was vaporware by NCR. It was made irrelevant as fast as possible, but bogged down Estes for a few years, but notably and interestingly screwed Barry Tunik hard.

BP is timeless and bulletproof so long as you use "starters" not NA0320 compliant "ignitors". (ers in ATF world)

Air just sucks. 20 ISP and run what you brung.

Water sounds great right until you have to tote it or pressurize a non-compressible fluid with a void of low mass air.

At some point all rockets will be electrical. But until that day I suggest NAR honor the DOT ruling APCP is not subject to HMR and go wide on this rocket thing.

Regulatory Jerry
Old 06-23-2014, 08:56 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
The only reason KPCP got as much attention as it did was vaporware by NCR. It was made irrelevant as fast as possible, but bogged down Estes for a few years, but notably and interestingly screwed Barry Tunik hard.

I surely hope AeroQuest will follow through with importing and certifying those new German motors.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Master Modeler

Freon wasn't awesome. I found it frustrating to work with, and low-performing when it did work.

Only reason it had a time in the sun was it was allowed in places that hadn't gotten around to making BP motors legal. It's gotten a golden-age nostalgia-glow it doesn't deserve.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I surely hope AeroQuest will follow through with importing and certifying those new German motors.

Bill

I wouldn't hold my breath...

Likely more vaporware...

Later! OL JR