Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Babe
Sorry, also meant to mention, at some point when you're finished you'll need to consider part 2 of all this and that is upgrades to launch equipment and knowing when field conditions are right to fly.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind for now.

Verna
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG

I am already on top the ground equipment upgrades.

I realized immediately that typical launch controllers were not going to handle the 5 engine cluster ignition requirements. I have designed a pretty cool launch controller that some will consider over engineered, but I am a EE so I am confident of what I have dreamed up. That project will commence as I start into the paint work on the SV. I will be posting more on this later.

I have looked at the various "pro" launch pads (i.e. the all metal ones) that accommodate both rods and rails. Those seem to be a solid way to go, but a fairly expensive proposition. I know that you launch from a camera tripod and I may well follow your lead in that direction for my rod launch setup. Of course if and when I decide to plunge into the rail setup that will require something more substantial. I am going to go with an internal 5/16 aluminum tube mounted against my BT-80 engine/chute tube for rod launches. I plan to terminate it as the top of the BT-80 internal tube which will be near the top of the BT-101 airframe. There will be an exit hole at the top of the 3rd stage aft interstage. I am thinking I will put a paper lug underneath the interstage and then cut it on the bevel to match the interstage angle and then glue it to the interstage foundation and wrap as well as the TB-80 3rd stage core. It will exit in a area that will be painted black so as to camouflage the opening. Yes, this will mean that I will have to align the upper and lower stages during the parachute pack. I don't expect the actual insertion of the launch rod to be much of an issue as the short distance between the end of the 5/16" tube and the point where it enters the 3rd stage aft interstage will be short. I also plan on installing rail buttons during construction to give me that future option.

As for weather conditions, well I realize that this is fair weather bird to say the least. As winds aloft will as much of a concern as surface winds, I am thinking it might be money well spent to purchase some helium balloons to be released before launch to better visualize both the direction and intensity of the winds well above the tree level. I see a progression of ever more powerful engine setups as confidence builds, so no the first launch will not be on a 5 engine cluster.

You comments regarding the baffles accumulating ejection byproducts is really appreciated. I had not contemplated making that section removable, but now I will incorporate that capability into my engine setup design. My removable cores are going to have bottom thrust rings so there won't be any internal rings to prevent my removing the coupler containing the baffles. I am using the LetraMax baffle kit from Uncle Mikes. I will simply incorporate a reinforcing ring in the BT-80 fixed core to act as a stop for the baffle. As the length of my various engine cores may vary I can easily include a spacer ring to lock the baffle between the top reinforcing ring and the removable core. This is all really coming together nicely.

Thanks for sharing and the words of encouragement.

David

Last edited by dtidmore : 09-26-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Thoughts on internal launch tube location

I will be using an internal 5/16" aluminum tube in my SV build. Obviously I have two options as to location, against the interior of the BT-101 OR the exterior of the internal BT-80 tube. The BT-80 tube will run the length of my BT-101 airframe so the tube would be well supported in either location being epoxied into place between the tube wall and the several CRs along the way. I plan to terminate the tube at the top BT-80 CR as I don't want ANYTHING to get in the way to a successful chute deployment. I will have a short tube in the 3rd interstage section to carry the launch rod thru to the outside. My inclination is to go with the BT-80 tube option. Either way the exit point will be in the 3rd interstage section either at the BT-101 point or the BT-80 point of the transition wrap. Yes, I know this means having to carefully align the sections after packing the chutes, but that is not difficult .

I am curious as to the experiences of the group on the location of the tube.?

Thanks
David
Old 11-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Somewhat Skilled Rocketeer

I have done a "number" of Saturn Vs in various scales over the years. I really like the K-36/1236/2001 versions because of paper wraps (they look more "scale like" and don't "stick out" in an over-exagerated way like the versions with the vac wraps). I'll leave the how-to answers and suggestions to others on this thread.

However...

I am releasing the first of several "mission specific" 1/100 Saturn V "skin kits" . Check eBay (search for "Estes Interceptor" and you will find more than just my Interceptor wrap kits) for a sample of what my skin kits are about or for just a peek at some of my skin kits visit Accur8 . I'll be expanding the web site soon.

As of this time,. the 1/100 Saturn V skin kit will be a "mixed media" skin kit with a combination of metal foil wraps, water slide decals, and full tube wraps for all the stages with the markings and other details printed on the wraps. In addition to perfect positioning and alignment of markings, the skins also cover the body tube spirals. There will also be detailed skins to cover the multi-segmented "systems tunnels" on all stages.

Drop me a note at johnpursley@accur8.com

I have other "scale" skin kits for the Estes Little Joe II, Estes Mercury Redstone (MR-1, MR-7, MR-8), and for Gemini Titans using BT-80, BT-70 and BT-60. Also check out my Trajector, Cosmic Interceptor, Interceptor (both 1250 and E versions), and Vindicator skin kits on eBay.

My web site is still a "work in progress" so visit it (or drop me an email) to find out about more skin kits and custom skin design.

John Pursley
Accur8 Spacemodels