Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Estes "Launch Pad" Employee Newsletters

I really enjoy going through the vintage Estes "Launch Pad" publications that are available on Ye Olde Rocket Shop. They are interesting to me as an off again on again BAR that initially started in model rocketry about 1974 but the interest goes beyond the hobby aspect. It shows a time when a company gave a **** about the people that worked for it. If you have not looked through these publications, please do so. You will see notices of employee birthdays and anniversaries, get well soon notes, simple employee bios listing hobbies and interests as well as family info, promotions, and welcomes to new employees. The wealth of information in these publications is amazing. Photos of Estes company picnics, items about the bowling team, so much stuff. It must have been amazing to work for a company that cared about it's people. It goes beyond model rocketry. I guess it is just the nostalgia painting a picture of a simpler, more caring world but going through those issues is comforting in a way. Working for a large organization that pretends to care and throws the word"family" around as a corporate cliche' can make one feel ver4y alone and isolated. The issues of the issues of Estes' "Launch Pad" are in a way, soothing. So for going on so long. Thank you for listening to my nostalgic drivel but mostly thanks for posting the Estes' "Launch Pad" issues on Ye Olde Rocket Shop. I encourage everyone to take a look at them.
Thanks!
Andy
Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Craftsman

Yep, I totally agree..I have looked through the "Launch Pad" many times, bits and pieces of a simpler time. I retired from a large telecommunication company (36 years), it too was a family type business at the beginning. .....
Old 06-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Links?

Did not find any in "publications".

Update - Did a better google search and found them:

http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/elp.htm
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 06-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by naslrogues
I really enjoy going through the vintage Estes "Launch Pad" publications that are available on Ye Olde Rocket Shop. They are interesting to me as an off again on again BAR that initially started in model rocketry about 1974 but the interest goes beyond the hobby aspect. It shows a time when a company gave a **** about the people that worked for it. If you have not looked through these publications, please do so. You will see notices of employee birthdays and anniversaries, get well soon notes, simple employee bios listing hobbies and interests as well as family info, promotions, and welcomes to new employees. The wealth of information in these publications is amazing. Photos of Estes company picnics, items about the bowling team, so much stuff. It must have been amazing to work for a company that cared about it's people. It goes beyond model rocketry. I guess it is just the nostalgia painting a picture of a simpler, more caring world but going through those issues is comforting in a way. Working for a large organization that pretends to care and throws the word"family" around as a corporate cliche' can make one feel ver4y alone and isolated. The issues of the issues of Estes' "Launch Pad" are in a way, soothing. So for going on so long. Thank you for listening to my nostalgic drivel but mostly thanks for posting the Estes' "Launch Pad" issues on Ye Olde Rocket Shop. I encourage everyone to take a look at them.
Thanks!
Andy

Bill Simon is the one who deserves the thanks for sending them to me for all to enjoy.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Thank you Bill and Vern. For decades Bill was the point man for educational programs BTW. I did 1.5 decades of that.

My favourite Estes photo is the one of the file drawers for the mail order operation in the 60's and 70's which was a large physical file. I know for a fact I am in that sucker!

Mary is still there! How young was she when she started?? I am totally offering to sponsor her retirement party some day.

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 06-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Craftsman

I really enjoy reading through those myself. I miss the days back as a youngster and sending off an inquiry to Estes rockets and getting a genuine reply back in the mail.
I also miss the club memberships offered.

Nowadays with the ease and speed of the internet you can inquire to some company's and never get a reply back.