Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 AM
BP Mafia

Default Fingers crossed......

Potential big weekend coming, aside from the obvious Monday holiday. The corn is off the field and we're scheduled to have the season opening launch at the TORC Field in South Charleston, Ohio. This is big for me because it means I can fly my "big" birds for the first time since May. Temps are predicted to be in the 60's with only a slight chance of precipitation. I have several birds that I have half finished review on, an Estes Optima, Estes Defender, Estes Skybolt and FSI Intrepid, that I plan to fly to be able to get the reviews off the books. The Optima is an E9-4 bird, while the Defender and Skybolt are D powered. The Intrepid has flown once before, but I hope to fly it on Saturday on an E9 and two D11's. I've also got an FSI Maverick that I'd like to get a couple of flights on. It'll fly nekkid on an Estes E9-6, probably the first bird I've ever owned that can legitimately use the six second delay. It's a rare 1:1 FSI clone for me, (I tend to upscale most of those,) so the E9 flight should be the closest thing I can get to an actual FSI motor. Another potential nekkid bird is the FSI Voyager upscale. I had a glue issue that resulted in some wrinkles in the body tune around the coupler, so I kind of lost interest in the project, but a good flight will go a long way toward rekindling that interest. If I can find the time to re-glue the fin that cracked when it got blown off the deck early in the summer, I might take along the Custom Matra. Can't remember if I made that one a D or E powered bird, but I have plenty of both. I'll probably take along that orphaned FSI Dart for at least a flight. (Can't review it because I didn't build it, but I have plans to rectify that this winter.) I guess the weather and field conditions will dictate the motor choice for that one, as well as the depth of the engine block.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Master Modeler

Cool, launch report and pics expected as always. Hopefully the weather will hold out for you.
Actually hoping to launch a few this weekend myself, but my hopes aren't too high.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Best of luck, Bill. We too have our November launch this Sunday, and with our new waiver in place (8700'), we're seeing a nice assortment of ships. Hope you go home with no more than the number of pieces you brought to the field!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 PM
BP Mafia

Okay, pictures are downloading as I type. And I had NOTHING to do with the fire.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2